Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just ordered the '07 Dawg Deluxe. I wanted the Primo but Kona doesn't make the 22" in the Primo model even though it is listed on their website.:confused:
What components should I try to get swapped out or upgraded. I couldn't find any info on the Marzocchi MX PRO fork. Is this a decent fork?
I ride in FL. Lots of rooty singletrack and short steep drops and hills (Alafia and Boyette). Get to NC/GA for some real hills on occasion.

Here are the specs:
Frame tubing Kona Clump Light 7005 Butted Aluminum 5" Travel
Rear Shock Fox FLOAT RP2
Fork Marzocchi MX PRO Lockout Air 120mm travel
Braze-on fittings 2 bottles, Disc brake tabs
Headset TH
Crankarms RaceFace RIDE X-Type
Chainrings 44/32/22
B/B RaceFace RIDE X-Type
Pedals Shimano PD-M505 Clipless
Chain Shimano CN-HG53
Freewheel Shimano Deore (11-34t, 9speed)
F/D Shimano Deore
R/D Shimano Deore XT
Shifters Shimano Deore
Handlebar Kona XC/BC OS Riser
Stem Kona XC/BC OS
Grips Kona Jackshit
Brakes HAYES HFX-9 XC V6 w/2-finger Lever
Brake Levers HAYES HFX-9 XC V6 w/2-finger Lever
Front hub KK Disc
Rear hub Shimano FH-M475 disc
Spokes 14g stainless
Tires Maxxis Ignitor 26x2.35
Rims Sun S.O.S. P1
Saddle WTB Speed V Comp
Seatpost Kona Thumb
Seat clamp Kona QR
Color Green
T

·
solid gold plated
878 Posts
why not ask them to swap the frames from a dawg deelux with a primo, that way you get the primo spec and dawg deelux frame size

·
Registered
1,197 Posts
it isn't possible really sounds like too much work. What do you really want that is on the primo? just have them upgrade that park other wise just ride it until things break. The MX pro fork is supposed to be pretty good, but I have never used one. I think the msrp is about the same as a fox vanilla rlc.

·
Registered
208 Posts
HAUC2002 said:
Thanks, but LBS said they already tried that and it wasn't possible.
Why would that be impossible? I would have thought it would be a simple case of stripping the bike and swapping components. Is is because Kona won't let them?

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Up to $400 since that is what I was originally planning to spend.
Not sure what to upgrade. I was mainly getting the Primo for the fork and wheels based on the LBS suggestion that they would cut down the weight. If anyone has any suggestions from experience I will take them. I'm not familiar with some of the misc components like the stem, handlebar, hubs, etc.. and like I said earlier the Marzocchi fork.

·
Registered
523 Posts
You'll want the XT shifters for sure. Dawg wheels have been sketchy in the past, I'm not sure if that has been taken care of by now. Replacing the RF crank is on my list for when I get some discretionary money. My 'Zokey fork has been just fine. Look closely at the saddle, and get something rugged without a lot of butt-padding.

·
Registered
422 Posts
Well I just checked out the specs on the Primo...the main upgrade is the fork and maybe the crankset (main difference there likely just being weight). Everything else is relatively similar (i.e., no big differences in performance, the wheels are better but not by much) BUT to get the upgraded parts on the Deluxe to make it equivalent to the Primo will cost more than $400. I would look into the 22" Primo a little more...sounds kind of odd to me that you can get the Deluxe but not the Primo.

If you can't get the Primo, I would suggest just riding the bike as is and get a feel for it. Nothing on it will be holding you back and you'll eventually determine what needs upgrading, if anything.

·
Registered
16 Posts
I bought the Deluxe two weeks ago. Then a week later I decided to bring it back to the shop and upgraded to the Primo (19"). The driving factor was the fork, Raceface components, better crank set, front hub, and rims. The fork alone would be a $700 CDN upgrade aftermarket according to the guy that sold me my Primo. The only thing I changed on the Primo was the handlebar because I like more rise so I got an Easton EA50 with 2" rise.

It's too bad you couldn't get a 22" Primo. Couldn't your LBS order one in for you? Could you try another shop? Did you contact Kona or have the LBS contact their rep? Afterall, if Konaworld lists a 22" (which they do) then it must be available. Getting the Primo at the upgrade price difference will be a hella lot cheaper than buying all the components (more than $400 as never suggests).

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.