Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
233 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
after about a year of use, its finally time to upgrade my sturdy 8500. I have done extensive research and am pretty much decided on the parts I'm getting. Really I'm just looking to see what you super-weenies think and any other ideas you could give.

Right now I have a Trek 8500 with a Fox rl80 pretty much stock except for a sweet aspide fx I put on it a few months ago (awesome saddle)

The upgrades I'm going to do, in the following order:
Bontrager Super-X ------------------------> Hutchinson Python (rear) and panaracer fire xc (front
grips --------------------------> roadie bar tape
spd-520 pedal ------------------------> eggbeaters sl
tubes ------------------------> stans tubeless kit
bontrager race s.post ------------------> thomson masterpiece or carbon, 31.6, 0 setback
bontrager race lite bar -------------------> ritchey WCS OS or Maxm Mx-1
bontrager race stem ----------------------> ritchey WCS OS or something stiff in 25.4....

finally, maybe sometime in the future, I am looking to replace my bontrager race disc wheelset with a 717 disc/240s disc/dt supercomp wheelset....

·
Registered
234 Posts
the bar tape is great. i've had it on my fuel for awhile and really prefer it. you might want to think about upgrading the wheelset before the stem/post/bar combo depending on what kind of money you want to spend.

·
Ex-Gunslinger
180 Posts
moose8500 said:
after about a year of use, its finally time to upgrade my sturdy 8500. I have done extensive research and am pretty much decided on the parts I'm getting. Really I'm just looking to see what you super-weenies think and any other ideas you could give.

Right now I have a Trek 8500 with a Fox rl80 pretty much stock except for a sweet aspide fx I put on it a few months ago (awesome saddle)

The upgrades I'm going to do, in the following order:
Bontrager Super-X ------------------------> Hutchinson Python (rear) and panaracer fire xc (front
grips --------------------------> roadie bar tape
spd-520 pedal ------------------------> eggbeaters sl
tubes ------------------------> stans tubeless kit
bontrager race s.post ------------------> thomson masterpiece or carbon, 31.6, 0 setback
bontrager race lite bar -------------------> ritchey WCS OS or Maxm Mx-1
bontrager race stem ----------------------> ritchey WCS OS or something stiff in 25.4....

finally, maybe sometime in the future, I am looking to replace my bontrager race disc wheelset with a 717 disc/240s disc/dt supercomp wheelset....
Are the upgrades your planning to reduce weight or just moving up to better quality? If its weight reduction have you worked out how much fat you will trim? I would have thought going for grip tape is more at the extreme end of weight reduction, you could save more by buying lighter tires/tubes. Eggbeaters get my thumbs up.

If it was me and the bike fitted me well I leave the post/stem/bar/grips till later get some light tires/tubes(or stans..btw stans web site doesn't recommend panaracers) that suited your riding conditions. Get the eggbeaters if you can't get on with the 520's and then save like hell for that sweet wheelset... Just my 2 cents worth and I haven't been into bikes for long so take it with a pinch of salt.

·
Registered
125 Posts
Just my 0.02$

Tires first; go for lighter models, like the python airlight or grippier knobbies (Conti Explorer SS), Nokian BNX lite, etc...

Next thing , before the bars etc... Go for the wheelset! Your choice is good; I'd go with that before the rest.

Pedlas next (or at same time as wheelset if you can afford it).

Then start upgrading seatposts, bars, etc...

Hope this helps!

CODMAN

·
Registered
233 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
thnx, this is great to get my priorities in order...

ok so now I'm thinking I will first upgrade to stans with some python airlights.... how are these tyres? Do they have pretty good grip in dry to medium conditions.... What other tyres are good for stans, will weigh under 550 each, and have good grip and durability?? Also, a factor for the tyres would be price, as I've looked at Nokians and michelins but they cost 45 each, which is what I can get both pythons for...

After this I will upgrade the pedals and bar tape (just cause its cheap and people say its actually more confy)

thnx!!!

·
Registered
125 Posts
Moose...

Light, cheap, grippy and durable tires????? Dream on dude... :p You are entering weight weenie products. They are usually the same or more expensive than regular components and at best the same or less durable.

Personally, I perfectly understand the need for value and durability... Then you will have to make concessions on the weight and performance side!

Hope this helps!

·
Registered
233 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
ok, so how is the python on durability and grip, would i be able to get at least a few months

·
Registered
125 Posts
The Python Airlights wear faster than the regular versions, but are much lighter. How many km you get out of them will depend entirely on you, your riding mileage and style. They wear fast, but not as fast as some other tires out there (e.g. the Conti SS series).

As for grip, I find the are not bad. They are kinda a hybrid between a semi-slick and a knobby. They are decent everywhere, and excellent nowhere! Basically, a good all-around model if you don't want to have to change your tires frequently! Personally, I change tires depending on where I'm ridding...

Luego!

CODMAN

·
Registered
233 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
ok, I'm considering that style you just said....
by the way, CODMAN, thanks for all your advice,
so, which light tire is optimum, but still sorta cheap on dry, rocks, and wet/muddy terrain??? What are your choices??

Also, of the tires you will mention, can they all be used with Stans?

·
Registered
125 Posts
Hi Moose,
personally, I love my Contis! Always have! They work greta with Stan's... But they aren't cheap and I'm also a bit biased since they have sponsored me for the last 2 years!

For relatively cheap, light durables... The Pythons light are not bad from what I hear. They work well with Stans, not too expensive, Not all that great in rocks from what I hear... (other might confirm!?).

A model you might look into is the IRC Serac Lite. 450g for a 1.95" tire. I've heard it is Stans friendly, grips relatively well and it Is relatively cheap...

Maybe other could ad their 0.02$ to help you out?

Luego!

CODMAN

·
Registered
252 Posts
moose8500 said:
ok, so how is the python on durability and grip, would i be able to get at least a few months
I did 5500 km on a pair of Python Airlights, and they are still useable, though I put them away. About 2 mm of the tread is gone. Never got a snakebite puncture with it! There are tires with more traction, but for durability, I was 100% satisfied with the Pythons...

-b

·
Registered
233 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
thanks for that info, they will last more than my crappy stock bonty's then. CODMAN, those IRC serac lights look pretty nice on the IRC website, but I can't find them anywhere even using froogle and qbike.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.