Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello,

I'm a first time poster at MTBR, and I just wanted to dig up some information. Thanks for helping out.

I recently purchased a 2004 Norco Mountaineer, was this a good choice? I'm only a beginner, do mostly casual riding/transportation, and some trails during the weekends. Paid only $299.99 CAD. Good choice?

Also, I wanted to know what upgrades can be done to the Mountaineer. Considering that I can't spend too much money on expensive forks, frames, etc, what should I go for?

Lastly, I want to know what kinds of accessories I should buy when I go mountain biking, particularly on off-road trails. I'm ovehelmed with so many, that I don't know which ones to get. Can someone suggest some?

Thank you for your time and help!

·
Registered
571 Posts
I would hold off on upgrading until you put in some more ride time and get to know the bike and develop your skills. Get your full money's worth out of that purchase and ride it and when something breaks or fails, then upgrade.

As for accessories, I would suggest getting a seat bag and filling it with all the basic items you'll need on the trail:
- tire patch kit
- spare tube
- tire levers
- multi tool
- energy bar (to bail you out if you get tired and bonk)

Also, get a pump that mounts on your bike.

Assuming your bike came with one, get a second water bottle and cage if you find youself getting thirsty or dehydrated.

Aside from bike/gear stuff, find out what kind of wildlife exist on your trails. If there are are predators like bears and mountain lions, then get the skinny on how to behave if you encounter them.

·
Get your freak on!
2,696 Posts
Agreed with the above, but instead of the seatbag maybe just get a cheap Hydrpack and then you won't need the second water bottle cage either.
Also, get a decent helmet and some gloves.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for the responses.

I was thinking of possibly purchasing a light or fenders if I am going to go on muddy trails or in the evenings. I always thought that it would be practical to just carry a regular backpack and carry the stuff in there.

I'd just like to also know if the bike I chose was a good one. I mentioned it in the first post, but it wasn't answered yet.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts