Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
754 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Decided I'd had enough with the ISIS cr*p I've wasted so much money on over the years, and since I'm not concerned with the weight of this bike as much as I am tired with having squeeks/creaks/crackles/pops from my BB, I decided to go with something I'm hoping I'll never have a problem with again. If the bearings in this setup are good for those nuts doing 40'+ drops, they'll be good enough for me with the occasional 5-6 footer. Somehow I am hard on BB bearings, even though I don't do big jumps. Go figure.

Anyways, first ride report is that the bearings are oh-so-buttery smooth they feel like they turn themselves. Incredible difference over my old Raceface Next LP/Chromo BB setup. I also notice when I stand and torque on the pedals it seems stiffer side-to-side. I really don't notice any difference in overall crank stiffness. I do notice they are a lot wider, as this is the first crank setup I've run with a granny on it in 2 years, and it probably is 10mm wider than my other bikes. I really feel the difference, and as I understand it, there's really no way to move the cranks in on this setup. I can learn to live with it if it lasts. We'll see.

Anyways, so far I'm exceedingly happy just with the difference in the BB.

Attachments

·
Fo' Bidniz in da haus
17,282 Posts
no worries Tom.....makes sense to me. I saw Saint cranks on a single speed the other day which could easily be called overkill by some but the gentlemen was convinced that he wanted that stiffness. Good for him and good for you. Funny how ISIS stuff seems to be worse than not only the newer stuff (misc. versions of external bottom brackets) but the older stuff as well (eg, Phil Wood square bottom bracket). By the way, the bike I just finalized the order on today is coming with square taper bb! I seem to be regressing in more ways than one :)

cheers

·
Bodhisattva
10,848 Posts
Tom,
you'll be hard pressed to destroy those bad boys. If I'd known that you were looking for cranks I would have told you about my new black RF Atlas cranks that I think I'm going to sell. I'm looking for something a little lighter.

·
Registered
552 Posts
Speaking over overkill...... I look at it this way, the el chamuco isn't a light bike anyway, and even the saint and diablous cranks are not THAT heavy, 200-300 grams heavier than a XC crankset or so. Though that DRS adds a good bit :) Then again I did snap a FSA carbon crank clean off my titus this year, so I was pretty motivated to get my other set of them off the el chamuco pronto. :)

If marzocchi could have found a way to make a 66RC without it being over 2" taller than my 04' Z1 FR QR20 fork I'd have that on there too to add to the overkill.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.