Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
167 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Help!?!?!

Hey i have a fuji thrill that i am looking to upgrade. The stock fork blows as it is some suntour that i dont like very much. I don't do many jumps or anything maybe like 1 or 2 footers and no more than 2 foot drops. This shock is horrible and doesnt soack up anything. My local bike shop told me that installation for a new fork would be 15-20 dollars and from what ive read thats a pretty good price range. Basically im just looking for a good fork 80mm that will take my weight 195 lbs and be able to do basic things and feel nice. I was looking at the axel elite at nashbar for 130 and i know people on the forum said it wasn't great but for what i do maybe it's a good upgrade. also the price range is around 150 up or down. please make any suggestions thanks.

EDIT : i have found the judy u-turn sl for 150, looks good but what size for the steerer tube would i get the 195mm or the 215mm once again bike is a 2004 fuji thrill with sr suntour xc-60 fork 75mm of travel

·
Registered
61 Posts
EDIT : i have found the judy u-turn sl for 150, looks good but what size for the steerer tube would i get the 195mm or the 215mm once again bike is a 2004 fuji thrill with sr suntour xc-60 fork 75mm of travel
Err -- your steer lenght is totally dependent on frame size. You need to measure from the fork crown (where it goes into the headset at the bottom) to the top of the stem clamp assembly ( the very top here).

If the fork is too long - no sweat just cut it with a hacksaw to the proper length. Too short just forK et it. (he he)

Keep in mind you are going to need a new star nut, and a hunk of pipe to set the crown race.

Good Luck

FT

·
"El Whatever"
18,889 Posts
machinehead131 said:
Ain't gonna defend the suntour. Is crap. Period.

But being 195 I'm surprised you saying that it doesn't suck up anything. I have a 75mm travel now installed on a Giant Warp and at 150 (fully geared) and the springs are way stiff for my weight. They should be fine for someone your weight.

Get the longer steerer and cut it to your desire.

·
Registered
167 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
ok, i have decided on the pilot sl and was wondering how to install it...can u use the hardware thats on my bike now or do i nbeed new parts like a star nut(i have no idea what it is) thanks for help

·
Registered
2,822 Posts
you will need a new star fangled nut. U can use a hacksaw or pipe cutter to cut the steerer to the proper length. If using a hacksaw, use something like a hose clamp as a guide. This is also your chance to leave it a bit long and use an extra spacer or two to dial in your bar height, since more travel will change the height of the front end a bit.
measure twice and cut once!
You'll also need to remove the crown race (for the headest) from the current fork and install it on the new fork.
If any of this makes you squeamish, you may just want to let the LBS install it for $15-20 (or a coupla six packs and see if they'll walk you through it while you watch)
here's link to MikeT's faq for the DIY.
http://www.execulink.com/~dtierney/wmc/faq.htm#FHQ4

machinehead131 said:
ok, i have decided on the pilot sl and was wondering how to install it...can u use the hardware thats on my bike now or do i nbeed new parts like a star nut(i have no idea what it is) thanks for help

·
Registered
244 Posts
Warp2003 said:
Ain't gonna defend the suntour. Is crap. Period.

But being 195 I'm surprised you saying that it doesn't suck up anything. I have a 75mm travel now installed on a Giant Warp and at 150 (fully geared) and the springs are way stiff for my weight. They should be fine for someone your weight.

Get the longer steerer and cut it to your desire.
I had a Suntour fork come stock on my Mongoose and it did nothing, mind you I'm 260 with my pack. It was pretty stiff, the rear would bounce around and the front would be pretty stiff.

Agustin

·
"El Whatever"
18,889 Posts
endoMaster said:
I had a Suntour fork come stock on my Mongoose and it did nothing, mind you I'm 260 with my pack. It was pretty stiff, the rear would bounce around and the front would be pretty stiff.

Agustin
I got 50mm of travel out of this fork last sunday. I'm positive most of the travel came from the elastomers as the springs are very, very stiff.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.