Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm a DYI and gearhead. I love working twinking my bikes/cars/motorcycles. If ride keeps being rough as it has been, I'll be upgrade the front works. Seem as if they weren't taking any of the force. If I upgrade what would you guys recommend with in reason, I'm not a racer or anything like that. Say 300/400 dollar limit get me something pretty good?

·
Registered
1,808 Posts
A huge number of threads on this including many current ones.
A Rock Shox Reba or Recon Gold (with motion control, there are several models of Recon)
Manitou forks very are popular. Possibly the best value for money.
A new Fox for $400 will take some good shopping to find.
A higher end Suntour.

Perhaps you need to tune your fork. ie Fit the corrrect spring for your weight riding style. A XC 32 should be stiffer and with the correct spring should be suitable for mild trial riding. Also there was a model of Tora fork with an air spring that you might still be able to find a deal on.

·
Rogue Exterminator
4,951 Posts
Rockshox Reba would be my first choice in that price range and then the Recon Gold.

·
Registered
322 Posts
Agree. I'm loving the Reba after suffering a few rides with the XC 28 that had come stock on my bike. Shaving a 1.5# with either is a nice benefit as well. I'd jump on this Recon Gold for the price, if it's the right configuration for your bike.

·
Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
How will going with a longer travel (have 100 now) effect my handling/geometry. Also is there a how to or a DYI?

Thanks

·
Registered
1,808 Posts
How will going with a longer travel (have 100 now) effect my handling/geometry. Also is there a how to or a DYI?

Thanks
I use Google. Try "fork instal". watch videos.

There are threads on fitting longer forks.
It will raise the front end and slow the steering a little. Most frames can handle an extra 20mm of fork travel.

A longer fork doesn't necessarily mean a better handling or performing bike.

·
Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
A huge number of threads on this including many current ones.
A Rock Shox Reba or Recon Gold (with motion control, there are several models of Recon)
Manitou forks very are popular. Possibly the best value for money.
A new Fox for $400 will take some good shopping to find.
A higher end Suntour.

Perhaps you need to tune your fork. ie Fit the corrrect spring for your weight riding style. A XC 32 should be stiffer and with the correct spring should be suitable for mild trial riding. Also there was a model of Tora fork with an air spring that you might still be able to find a deal on.
The air style forks, they use air to adjust for weight thus eliminated the need to change out springs?

Rockshox Reba would be my first choice in that price range and then the Recon Gold.
Reba are better than Recon? Any certain sub-model of the reba to look in to?

·
Registered
322 Posts
The air style forks, they use air to adjust for weight thus eliminated the need to change out springs? ​Yes.

Reba are better than Recon? Any certain sub-model of the reba to look in to?
Recon Gold is the model below the Reba.

·
Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
My thing is I'm not sure if I would like the air shock vs coil. Never had a quality fork so I have nothing to compare it to. Are the air fork still lacking small bump compliance?

·
Registered
186 Posts
I don't know firsthand, but it seems like there are a lot of favorable reviews for the quality and affordability of the Xfusion Slides.

·
Kitty! Kitty! Kitty!
1,080 Posts
My thing is I'm not sure if I would like the air shock vs coil. Never had a quality fork so I have nothing to compare it to. Are the air fork still lacking small bump compliance?
Depends on which one you get. IMHO air is better than coil. You can usually catch a break with the weight with an air fork too. I dropped 2.2 lbs.

·
Registered
150 Posts
I went with the Recon , the great price is hard to beat
I also went with the Recon deal from Random Bike Parts. Wasn't sure before I actually rode with it because I really wanted either a Reba or Tower Pro but I'm very happy with it, especially for the money!

·
Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
I'm having a hard time grasping the "threshold" concept. Would this be use to tune for small bumps while compression would be used for big or fast or big and fash bumps?

Also is there a big difference in the RL or RLT...basically is it worth the extra money?

1 - 17 of 17 Posts