Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
107 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Couple questions for you wheel guys out there... I am upgrading my wheels, money is not a factor, i just want the very best possible. I am fairly definate about which wheels I want, Chris King ISO hubs laced to mavic 823 rims. My first question is what do you think about this wheelset? I have been researching and it seems like it is the best fit for a very high performance wheelset which can take lots of punishment, and has a great strength to weight ratio. The king hubs seem like the best out there, (better sealed, and maybe more reliable than industry nine), and the 823 rims don't weigh a ton, and seem like they can take lots of punishment.
After your thoughts on that, my second question is where can i get this set for as good a price as possible, and from a place that builds wheels extremely well? How much does it matter who builds them in terms of how they hold up, and what type of maintenance is required? Any suggestions are appreciated. Thanks!

·
Masher
1,426 Posts
I don't think you are going to find any deals on new King hubs and it doesn't sound like to want to buy used.

Good wheel builders aren't really all that rare. Ask around at your trailhead and I'm sure you will get plenty of good local recommendations.

Then again I live around D.C. where every third person is a bike mechanic.

·
A wheelist
5,991 Posts
Bentley78 said:
money is not a factor, i just want the very best possible.................where can i get this set for as good a price as possible.
The above parts of your post are a bit confusing but as Mr. C says, there won't be many deals on the fine CK hubs. I got a set of those hubs a few years ago from forum regular Larry Mettler at www.mtnhighcyclery.com and I was treated very well. People around here claim he makes a good wheel.

·
MTBR Member
3,008 Posts
Check out chainreactioncycles. I have been looking at having a set of Hope pro II's laced to Mavic 819s for right around $350, which seems like a good deal to me.

Though not sure if they sell King hubs.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.