Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
434 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hello everyone. I've been toying with the idea of getting a new bike. I currently have a 2012 giant trance x2. I'm not sure if I should spend $1500 on it and turn it into more of an AM bike from XC or just sell it and spend the money on a new bike. Giant has 69.5 ha and the upgrades I was thinking about were:

New 140mm fork. Going from 120
New wheelset and going tubeless
Dropper post.
Shorter stem and wider bars (already have 70mm and 710)
It also needs new cranks.

So I'm looking at $1500-1600 to invest into the bike. Is it worth it. Or do I sell it for $1000ish and use that money I would invest towards the Bronson. (Obviously it would cost me more)

What's everyones though?

Thanks

·
Registered
434 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
thanks. if you dont mine me asking. were you also thiking about dropping money into the trek or did you just want a new bike ;)

·
Registered
1,072 Posts
If the idea is already in your head to get a new bike...I would recommend just going ahead and getting it. I did a similar thing before buying my Stumpjumper...I bought a cheaper full suspension just to get by and sold it less than a year later to get what I wanted in the first place.

·
Registered
237 Posts
advantage of upgrading that bike is that you can practically steal carbon 26" rims right now online, as well as 26" forks. Trance x's are nice riding bikes!

·
Registered
2,281 Posts
were you also thiking about dropping money into the trek or did you just want a new bike ;)
Initially, yes. I was thinking about a 1x11 setup (mine is Shimano 3x10) and a dropper post. Eventually I got to the point over the summer where I was starting to feel the limits of my current fork+suspension travel and wanting to be able to do more. I've got something coming now that weighs less than my previous bike and should keep me happy for years to come.

·
Registered
357 Posts
Exactly. I just built up a 26" long travel hardtail for less than $1500 including the frame. I got a new Sektor R 150mm fork for $190 and free shipping. I got the revelation dampers for less than $150 and installed them with no problems. XT brakes and derailleur, NW crankset, Sun Ringle wheelset and so on. Upgrades can be done inexpensively if you do your research and aren't in a hurry so you can search for the right price on the right parts. That being said, I would get a Bronson over an upgraded Trance X2. Better geometry for all mountain riding, 650 wheels, no need for upgrades unless you hate Avid brakes and so on. Plus you won't have to worry as soon about the rest of your two year old parts wearing out and needing service or replacement. It's a better investment, IMO.

·
Registered
169 Posts
I just replaced my 2008 Trance X2 (heavily upgraded) with a new carbon Bronson. No comparison. Get the Bronson.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts