Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 67 Posts

·
Got rocks?
938 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have m8000's on my bike now and want more power. I have 180's F/R and the rear does ok but the front needs more on the downs. I need new rotors and on the fence about just upgrading the front caliper to 4pot and going 203. My LBS can get me a good deal on MT5's and I hear great things about them. for the price of the caliper I can buy one complete mt5. How do they compare I weigh 250 geared up and when I am on steep downhills I was grabbing the brakes as hard as I could and not stopping. After that ride I put new pads in and bled the brakes and they seem ok on flat ground, but when I set the reach where I like the power drops off significantly until I move the levers back out.
Im just not sure if new pads, rotors, and a new 4 pot caliper would be good enough or will I still be wanting more.

·
Registered
468 Posts
The one thing I keep reading about the mt5 is that the pads are only ok. Most people put the mt7 pads on them and say you basically got an mt7 at that point.

Sent from my ONEPLUS A6013 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,916 Posts
The one thing I keep reading about the mt5 is that the pads are only ok. Most people put the mt7 pads on them and say you basically got an mt7 at that point.

This and for me, the lever didn't have enough leverage to get it where I wanted. Waiting for the hc3 levers to arrive. Modulation is pretty awesome though!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
468 Posts
This and for me, the lever didn't have enough leverage to get it where I wanted. Waiting for the hc3 levers to arrive. Modulation is pretty awesome though!

Yeah I was going to buy the mt5 for my hei hei but I wanted the HC 1 finger lever so by the time I got those I was at mt7 pricing.

I did 2 days at the bike park last week with one day on my hei hei and the other on a rental. The rental had guide R's. After day 1 the mt7s felt the exact same as when I started. On day 2 at the end the guide R's would barely stop me and modulation was completely degraded.

·
Got rocks?
938 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I’m just really torn spend 100 for an 8020 caliper. Or 140 for a set of mt5s. I don’t like how the xt handles have to be so far out to grab good which is farther than I like.

·
Registered
1,728 Posts
Buy the MT5's. Huge power. Great modulation. Note, they use lever screws that don't require much tightening and are easily stripped.

OR, but the Trail Sport, and run a bigger rear rotor. Trail Sport's come standard with levers that more people seem to like.

See below for some search results that will be good reading:

https://www.google.com/search?client=firefox-b-d&q=NSMB+magura (NSMB love Magura's)

https://www.vitalmtb.com/features/W...isc-Brakes-Reviewed-by-Vital-MTB-Members,2401

https://www.vitalmtb.com/features/Vital-MTB-Face-Off-The-Best-DH-Brakes,2152

Also, re: Magura brakes. They use lever screws that don't require much tightening and are easily stripped.

·
Registered
1,327 Posts
I weigh 215-220 geared up and found the M8020s provided sufficient power on steep trails, but not an impressive amount of power. They were an improvement over my Guides, but I found the Codes to be more consistent, more powerful, and have better lever feel.

At your weight, riding steep terrain, I would consider a more DH oriented brake. I can't speak to the Magura lineup, but something like the Code or Saints would be a better option. I've heard good things about the Hayes Dominions in terms of power and modulation, but my current experience with them is limited to a parking lot test.

·
Registered
468 Posts
Mt7 pros with the race pads offer a ridiculous amount of power. Magura only recommends those pads for pure downhill use. Magura makes 3 pads I think. Plus they all work with all the mt brakes.

Comfort
Performance
Race

·
Registered
1,916 Posts
Can the hc3 lever work on the mt5's?
Finally got them installed. Night and day compared to the stock mt5 lever. Leverage adjustment and reach make this thing as powerful as you want it. I was worried on stock lever not having full braking power so I started with the leverage all the way in and it damn near threw me over the bars!

·
Registered
306 Posts
+1 for MT5. Just remember they are plastic and you won't strip anything. Every problem I have had were from bad crashes. Would have had the same outcome regardless of brand. I bought aftermarket pads instead of magura & they lasted a lot longer with similar perf.

·
Got rocks?
938 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Finally got them installed. Night and day compared to the stock mt5 lever. Leverage adjustment and reach make this thing as powerful as you want it. I was worried on stock lever not having full braking power so I started with the leverage all the way in and it damn near threw me over the bars!

so you have mt5's? magura keeps telling me they won't work. Anything different about the install?

·
Got rocks?
938 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
1 - 20 of 67 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.