Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
499 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have an older 456 (26") bike that is my main ride (over a 26" fs). Truthfully, I am happy with both bikes, particularly the 456. but since everyone is on 27, 27+, 29, it has me thinking. Should I get a bigger wheeled bike. the turnoff for me is that people I ride with don't seem to like hitting things that put them in the air, and I am wondering if that is partially due to wheel size. in the last years, (since I move to an area with more trail features) I have really gotten into it and lofting my bike as much as possible. will the bigger wheeled bikes be as fun when I hit that kind of stuff.

·
Registered
814 Posts
Ha ha, wheel size won't help you get air but buying new stuff is fun for most. A full suspension bike makes getting air more fun as the landing is much softer.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Yeah!
1,457 Posts
We were getting air on 26" wheels for three decades before the the new sizes came about, this should not be a deciding factor in your air time. Explore how the larger wheel sizes let you roll, climb, and corner by demoing a few bikes.

·
Registered
60 Posts
I also ride the 456 evoI in 26" and I was tempted a few times, until I realized that I have a perfectly good bike that I love to ride, use it for trail riding, bike packing, XC and everything else. You gotta decide for yourself, in my case I spent the extra cash on travelling and fixing my apartment up.

·
Registered
14,357 Posts
I have an older 456 (26") bike that is my main ride (over a 26" fs). Truthfully, I am happy with both bikes, particularly the 456. but since everyone is on 27, 27+, 29, it has me thinking. Should I get a bigger wheeled bike. the turnoff for me is that people I ride with don't seem to like hitting things that put them in the air, and I am wondering if that is partially due to wheel size. in the last years, (since I move to an area with more trail features) I have really gotten into it and lofting my bike as much as possible. will the bigger wheeled bikes be as fun when I hit that kind of stuff.
I run all the wheel sizes. With proper wheels and frame for your riding style you can hit air on a bigger wheel with no issues. That said if you love your 26er there is no reason to change it up right away. One of these days you'll have to spend a big chunk of $$ to fix/maintain it and at that point it's probably worth looking at a bigger wheel rig.

I'm riding my 26er for the winter and I have as much fun on it as my 27.5 bike or my 29+.

·
Registered
932 Posts
since everyone is on 27, 27+, 29, it has me thinking. Should I get a bigger wheeled bike.
Don't do things because others do it, do what you want because it feels right to you, or because it's economically feasible for you.

I have three biked in 26". Because of this I have three wheel sets and well over a dozen pair of seasonal tires for 26" wheels. I can't see a reason to add another wheel size bike, and then having to buy wheel parts to have in reserve for accidents. Where with my 26" wheeled bikes, I can just swap out a wheel from one ride to another while waiting for a rebuild. Whereas, for my 142mm rear, I'd just need to add spacers to the 135mm hub.

Everyone will have a reason for switching wheel sizes. Just don't do anything that feels forced. Unless life threatening!

·
Team NFI
5,303 Posts
Don't do things because others do it, do what you want because it feels right to you, or because it's economically feasible for you.

I have three biked in 26". Because of this I have three wheel sets and well over a dozen pair of seasonal tires for 26" wheels. I can't see a reason to add another wheel size bike, and then having to buy wheel parts to have in reserve for accidents. Where with my 26" wheeled bikes, I can just swap out a wheel from one ride to another while waiting for a rebuild. Whereas, for my 142mm rear, I'd just need to add spacers to the 135mm hub.

Everyone will have a reason for switching wheel sizes. Just don't do anything that feels forced. Unless life threatening!
Buying a replacement frame in the next couple of days. Going with a 650b frame just for that reason. That way can use the 26er wheels I still have can be used.

·
Rides all the bikes!
3,825 Posts
If you want a new bike, then do some demos and figure out what you want. Nothing wrong with 26".

My trail bike is 650b, XC bike is 29. I do like 29 better.

·
Registered
770 Posts
I recently got a new bike with 27.5", after 8 years on a 26" ht. I noticed the difference in rolling charachteristics right away, despite the actual sizes being so close in actual dimensions. But the newer bike also has modern geo, beefier components etc, so the upgrade was really worth it.

Upgrading to a 27.5 version of my old bike would have made a noticable difference, but too small to worth spending "complete bike" money.

So if you're happy with your steed's geometry and components, the slightly bigger wheels aren't reason enough to upgrade.

Switching to 29" has a more pronounced effect so I might consider it, but at my (lack of) height, fitting on a big wheeled bike can be akward.

·
Registered
24,083 Posts
I agree with the rest, if you're happy with the actual build/parts spec of your bike and how it rides, then no reason to upgrade, but I'd still try to get a try off/demo different bikes to see what it's all about and if it's for you or not. For me I started on 26" wheels, owned a crappy first bike, then got a nice Trance and was happy with that, got an offer for a deal on a 29er and gave it a go, never looked back after that, 29er was for me. Now I also ride 650B+, which is almost 29", but that's about it for me, definitely never 26" again, wheel just looks so far away and gets hung up so easily on stuff and unlike you, I'm not a wheels huge in the air guy, will pop off stuff, small drops etc, but not a jumper.

·
Registered
932 Posts
I have an older 456 (26")
I forgot to mention; the EVO 456 will fit a 27.5 x 2.4 Mountain king, but will rub a little when the wheel is laterally torqued.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts