Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
210 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've been thinking of upgrading the fork on my Giant Rainier because it came with a Marzocchi EXR Comp which I believe is the worst fork Marzocchi has produced. I was looking at a 105mm MX Comp or a 120mm Marathon S. What can I expect in going to 120mm travel when my stock fork is 100mm? Will it hurt the handling a lot?

·
bi-winning
11,109 Posts
a great post on this topic
FreeRangeChicken said:
Originally Posted by FreeRangeChicken
You need to be really careful or you're going to end up with a really expensive wall ornament.

If your current bike has a 50mm fork and was designed for that fork, you could run into some big problems if you just slap a long travel fork on it. A few things are going to happen when you stick a longer fork on your bike:

1) loss of standover height - if you have a lot of standover right now this may not be a big issue, but if you only have an inch or two now, it cold be a problem

2) slackening head tube angle - This will slow down steering and if the change is dramatic, can cause the steering to feel like it flops from side to side. [edit]this also tends to unweight the front tire which can cause the front tire to wash out in corners[/edit]

3) slackening the seat tube - this shifts your weight backwards and may make it difficult or impossible to climb without lifting your front wheel off the ground.

I had a bike that I changed from a 64mm fork to a 80mm fork and found the setup to be completely unacceptable for me. ...
...Good luck.

FRC
I don't think the Rainier is designed for a 120mm. Could void warranty. 20mm is not an insanely massive change, but you may notice some or all of the side effects mentioned above.

You would definitely enjoy the extra travel on the downhills though.

·
Registered
210 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Does anyone know the warranty specifics on using a 120mm fork? My Rainier came set up with zero sag on the fork so a sagged 120mm would sit right where I'm used to.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.