Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
130 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This will be my second year training/racing and would like to up-grade to expert by the end of this up coming season. So right now my annual plan is at 800hrs meaning that during base my biggest week will be 22hrs. I was wondering how many hours other expert class racers are putting into their training. just curious.:skep:

·
mutaullyassuredsuffering
2,053 Posts
Wow

coryell said:
This will be my second year training/racing and would like to up-grade to expert by the end of this up coming season. So right now my annual plan is at 800hrs meaning that during base my biggest week will be 22hrs. I was wondering how many hours other expert class racers are putting into their training. just curious.:skep:
I know alot of the folks on this site post huge training loads. As far as the guys I race with it's alot less. Our top Semi-pro put in that that kind of volume last year, but our expert folks are less than that. I raced 30-34 Expert last year in a tough group, and placed top 3rd only hitting around 300 hours. My plan for this year is to hit 400 (400 was the plan for last year as well, but life and illness got in the way). I don't know your history, but 800 hours in the second year sounds like a recipe for disaster. Maybe you've been riding 600 hours for a few years?

I really believe in my coach who emphasizes quality over quantity. With 2 kids and a demanding job, I don't have a choice! This night riding in the winter is tough...

·
Sweep the leg!
3,804 Posts
When I was lean and placing well as an expert I was riding 50 hrs a week on average. Now if I don't do more than 25 a week I'm back of the pack. YMMV

·
Registered
34 Posts
Caffeine Powered said:
When I was lean and placing well as an expert I was riding 50 hrs a week on average. Now if I don't do more than 25 a week I'm back of the pack. YMMV
I'm doing fine in expert on 7-9 hours a week with most of that on the road, with longer weeks thrown in when I have the time. Base was more like 12-15ish. You don't need that many hours, you just have to have the right type of hours.

·
Registered
164 Posts
Huh?!?!?

Caffeine Powered said:
50 hrs. a week! Holy crap, is that a typo. Are you seriously riding 7 hrs. per day? If I rode that much I'd be planning on the next Olympics... or world domination.

·
Registered
544 Posts
Right now I am averaging 10-14hrs, starting the 2nd month of base. At the 45yo Expert level, it seems to be enough to do well. When I ride more hours my endurance improves, but my punch suffers. Expert races are usually 2hr or less, so huge endurance is not critical, especially if the fatigue from the extra training hours starts to "tame" your "all out" efforts. Trying to find that balance of fierce power AND endurance is very elusive.

For the type "A" over-trainer dude, that likes to accumulate extra hours, I'd recomend error'ing on the side of freshness.

·
Sweep the leg!
3,804 Posts
I should have clarified that that was the schedule for this time of year so it was intended as base ROAD milage. I assumed he was asking about this time of year what with it being the off season here. ~5 hours after work with 8 hour days on the weekend. I was obviously single then too. Now it's closer to 2 hrs in the afternoon with 6-8 hr days on the weekend with me getting up at 5am so I'm not an absentee spouse/father.

Two years ago I was commuting to work 1hr round trip with 4-6 hr rides on the weekend and was having a great season. Sprinkle in the occasional Criterium for speed/interval work and I had a fairly well-rounded training groove.

·
Registered
8,177 Posts
coryell said:
I am a good expert level racer and do 450.

800 is a pretty big number for someone with a full time job and in their second year racing.

Those kind of hour is what I would expect out of a full time elite level athlete who has been trainning for at least five years.

·
Registered
8,177 Posts
Caffeine Powered said:
And that worked for you? Interesting.

I don't believe I know anybody who has ever trained close to that volume. Most of the high volume trainners I know average around 25hrs a week. To be honest I don't know many racers who have been sucessful at 25hr.

·
Registered
1,001 Posts
Female here, so it's different to be competitive than in men's Expert, but I've been doing around 10-12 hours a week so far in base. With a FT job it still leaves me enough time to sleep and laze around now and then, but keeps me busy enough all week.

I could probably spend another 4-5 hours a week pedaling, but not sure I'd have the desire at that point. At least now I'm still looking forward to each workout!

·
Registered
59 Posts
Those hours are huge! I made the move out of expert this past year into Semi-Pro with my biggest training week in the winter hitting 18 hours. Otherwise, while I was racing I was training maybe 10-15 hours a week, and 15 was huge and I never raced well on that kind of mileage.

Now that I am in base for my first pro season (USA Cycling category changes) My biggest week so far has been 14 and my biggest week over the next month will be 15, still waiting to see what February looks like from the coaches.

BTW, I'm a full time grad student at the University of Colorado and I substitute teach twice a week and last year I was a full time student at Bard College and worked a campus job and an off campus job in addition to training and racing.

·
Registered
4,870 Posts
LMN said:
And that worked for you? Interesting.

I don't believe I know anybody who has ever trained close to that volume. Most of the high volume trainners I know average around 25hrs a week. To be honest I don't know many racers who have been sucessful at 25hr.
Ditto that!

My biggest (during base) weeks' training load a few years ago - racing my azz off every week a couple of seasons ago - was 20 hours. Those few (fairly successful) seasons racing 30-39 expert netted around 600 hours a season.

Now? 250-300 is all I get, but haven't suffered a ton for some reason. Would I snag 5th in mens solo at Old Pueblo now? Likely not! But for XC, CX, and local road races racing, I'm hangin' just fine.

800 hours a year makes that what? 16 hours a week x 50 weeks? 16 hours a week once in a while during base periods is OK, with every 4th week or so "off" with active recovery type work.

To do 16 hours a week every week ought to make you a rockin' stud in no time! Just don't burn out.

·
Registered
143 Posts
I had good expert success off about 450 last year. Maxed out with a couple of 17's and some 16 and 15's. During the season I was between 9 and 13 or so.

I knew guys who could train like beasts but when race day came they didn't have jack. We called them professional trainers. Don't be one of those.

·
mutaullyassuredsuffering
2,053 Posts
!

RickySilk said:
I knew guys who could train like beasts but when race day came they didn't have jack. We called them professional trainers. Don't be one of those.
Well Said! I love it!

I raced against a couple of them last year. Posting huge hours and then they were too tired on race day to even be competitive. As Sportos they were great, but the stress of going to big, bad, scary Expert made them go out and kill themselves. The one who had the most promise, quit racing mid season due to burnout! He might be done for good.

.... The new plan from the coach just came in for 2009 = 405 hous... I'll probably make 350.

·
Sweep the leg!
3,804 Posts
How many of you guys are over 40? It's harder for me to keep weight off and stay fit if I don't have longer saddle time. I'll be 44 in a month and it might just be my body, but if I take any time off I get soft fast.

1 - 20 of 33 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.