Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
OK I have decided to go ahead and upgrade to disc on my Trek 6500, the hubs and frame are already disc ready and I am tired of hassling with adjusting the cheap v brakes that came on it.

I wont be doing anythign too extreme with my bike (although I like to think I ride pretty hard but in the grand scheme of things its probably nothing too serious. I want to get something that I wont have to replace anytime soon.

I dont really know the pros and cons of mech vs hydraulic so if anyone can help with that decision and further maybe a suggestion as to a specific product that you would reccomend.

·
Super Moderator
20,810 Posts
If you go with mechanics, get Avids, the bb5 and bb7 will get the job done for a decent price.

If you want hydros, for a low price, I recommend you get Shimano Deore or LX, if you go higher up the price scale to Shimano XT, you could also start looking at Magura Louises.

·
Older than I feel
1,916 Posts
Avid BB7s work great, are easy to install and adjust, and are very reasonably priced. Plus you can use your existing V-brake levers - though from the sound of it you may not want to!

·
MTBR Demi-God
838 Posts
As pointed by Mike, check out the MTBR FAQ on disc brakes- http://www.mtbr.com/techtalks/brakes/brakesfaq.shtml

Personally, if you dont want to burn a hole in your pocket/wallet, I would recommend getting the Shimano LX hydraulic brakes. They perform very decently, almost like the XT counterparts, and provide excellent modulation. The downside is that its heavy.

·
Super Moderator
20,810 Posts
anirban said:
As pointed by Mike, check out the MTBR FAQ on disc brakes- http://www.mtbr.com/techtalks/brakes/brakesfaq.shtml

Personally, if you dont want to burn a hole in your pocket/wallet, I would recommend getting the Shimano LX hydraulic brakes. They perform very decently, almost like the XT counterparts, and provide excellent modulation. The downside is that its heavy.
Not heavier than the bb7 mechs though ... I compared my bb7 setup (including avid SD levers and cable/housing) and the LX were a little bit lighter with longer hoses (I still need to cut them).

I bought my brakes for 140 EUR the set (without rotors)... not a bad deal at all..

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.