Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
Registered
307 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Upgrade your older Intense to new VPP technology. We want your old Tracers & Uzzi SL's for service & repair parts. Here is your chance to upgrade to a new "Spider or 5.5EVP" Please call Intense Cycles @ (951) 296-9596 dial 3 for sales, 8am-4:30pm PST

·
Registered
348 Posts
Crash

The crash replacement program is if the bike is out of warantee, and/no longer built and damaged severely, Intense has a plan where they offer to sell you a new frame at cost ($1100-1300) in exchange for the damaged frame.

At least this is how I understand the program.

·
ride lots
56 Posts
Are you in need of SLXs?

n10'sGuy said:
Upgrade your older Intense to new VPP technology. We want your old Tracers & Uzzi SL's for service & repair parts. Here is your chance to upgrade to a new "Spider or 5.5EVP" Please call Intense Cycles @ (951) 296-9596 dial 3 for sales, 8am-4:30pm PST
I've been tempted to get rid of my SLX and replace it with a 5.5 since the SLX is probably too much bike for me

·
Registered
348 Posts
Slx

Moving from an SLX to a 6.6 would be sweet...
I have a Tracer and an UZZI SLX. The bikes are as different as night and day, and to tell the truth, any rides under 15 miles (and without significant climbing over 5 miles) I will grab the Uzzi. If the 6.6 lives up to its promise, it should be the all around everything bike.

·
Self Appointed Judge&Jury
44,392 Posts
n10'sGuy said:
So let me get this right. They are going to use, used parts for service and repair. Hmmmm I dont like that idea. I love my 01' UZZI-SL and in my eyes, it is the perfect all around trail bike. I was amazed when they dropped it from the line to go with a longer linked Tracer. And then to drop the whole 4-bar horselink proven technology, to go with the VPP technology. All I hear are good things about the VPP design, but you would be hard pressed to pull me off of my UZZI-SL. I know the day is coming, but please don't rush me into a very new design, as I think the four bar is the best design ever. In my opinion, Intense and Sana Cruz both went with a new design just to get away from Specialized Patents.

·
Self Appointed Judge&Jury
44,392 Posts
slickwilly said:
I dont remember Santa Cruz having a liscence agreement with Specialized.
Sorry I dont know what I was thinking, I know Santa Cruz doesnt have a licence agreement with Specialized. But there are some other companys besides Intense that do, pay Specialized for the [Horselink] design. With the fourbar horselink design being the best design for so many years. All of a sudden some of these companys get away from that design. And IMO it is to avoid paying Specialized. The VPP design may or may not be better,but I sure am happy with the many years "proven" design of the Horselink Fourbar. Why change unless you have to. :confused:

·
Registered
348 Posts
Horst Link

The climbing ability of the Horst link bikes was pretty darn good considering how active the suspension felt. Propedal and SPV type technology really improved that climbing ability...
It was nice and predictable, and in some cases you could use the "bounce" to your advantage. VPP feels more like a soggy noodle, you know it is doing something for you, you just cant really tell what or when.

·
Registered
255 Posts
i talked to the guys at Intense. I told them I have a Tracer and the the discount they would give me is about 1200 for a 5.5 and 1100 for a spider. Not bad... but I think you can save more money selling your old frame and finding a good deal or buying used.

·
Registered
2 Posts
n10'sGuy said:
I have a grey anodised 04 5.5 evp . I was wondering if I could get ano midnight blue or painted red or mabye get the pre release yellow decals for they grey :confused: :confused:

·
Registered
26 Posts
Hi there. Been told you're the man with the answers. I'm thinking of importing a 6.6 from the USA to the UK as they're approx £800 cheaper. I'm aware that this would effect warranty etc but is this too risky. Should I just bite the bullet and pay the extra £££'s for extra piece of mind or is importing not that risky afterall??

·
Registered
134 Posts
Lean said:
Hi there. Been told you're the man with the answers. I'm thinking of importing a 6.6 from the USA to the UK as they're approx £800 cheaper. I'm aware that this would effect warranty etc but is this too risky. Should I just bite the bullet and pay the extra £££'s for extra piece of mind or is importing not that risky afterall??
How would it affect the warranty? If you buy it new from a retailer in the states it shouldn't matter where you are if it breaks. The distributor should take care of it. Or you can go direct to where you purchased it.
You should find out what the duty and tax laws are first. You could end up paying more.

·
Registered
32 Posts
DIRTJUNKIE said:
Sorry I dont know what I was thinking, I know Santa Cruz doesnt have a licence agreement with Specialized. But there are some other companys besides Intense that do, pay Specialized for the [Horselink] design. With the fourbar horselink design being the best design for so many years. All of a sudden some of these companys get away from that design. And IMO it is to avoid paying Specialized. The VPP design may or may not be better,but I sure am happy with the many years "proven" design of the Horselink Fourbar. Why change unless you have to. :confused:
Dirt Tard "Specialized for the [Horselink] design." - Its Horst Link as in Horst Laetner the AMP designer.

·
Registered
348 Posts
You mean Horst Leitner....?

I kind of enjoyed reading about the horselink. Reminds me of my ******* days, and trying to convince people that they need to check the muffler bearings on the 4X4's after doing river crossings.

·
Banned
153 Posts
i like the horst link, after riding the nomad, i agree with the other comment about VPP being unpredictable, i cant really tell how the suspension is going to behave...

1 - 20 of 38 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.