Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 39 Posts

·
Registered
626 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a Rockhopper that I guess i am too rough on. Things just keep breaking. I was recently riding over some roots on a trail and the rear derailleur hanger broke and bent the derailleur. My wife was hiking behind me and she said it didn't even look like I hit anything. I owned this bike since December 2009. I ride it on the road a lot but when I go on the trails things just break. I have a feeling it is time to upgrade to a FS.

I called the LBS and when I talked to them about it he said it is time to upgrade to a FS instead of getting a Stumpy HT.

I wanted to get a HT because I commute to work, and I do not want 2 bikes.

What do you think?

Mike

·
Registered
626 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
The wife might not like that idea. plus I wanted to trade it in so I am not dumping as much money into a new bike.

BUT I hate having to keep switching my seat post over (I have a rack mounted to my seat post) and whatever else I have to switch over. So I might keep it, but then I am spending twice as much on 2 bikes instead of one with upgrades and repairs!!!!!

Plus I just upgraded the wheel set (accident and bent a wheel, new hydraulic disc brakes, new front fork, hmmm I forgot the rest! I can swap over the wheel set and brakes to the new bike, but then I would probably want a rigid fork for the commuter, and sell the tora I have on there. Decisions, decisions!!

·
What could go wrong ...
1,996 Posts
ripping a derailleur and hanger off can be caused by a stick popping up and getting caught ... happens a lot ... I'm all for FS bikes but that may not solve the problem for you

try and have 2 bikes for when that happens

·
Registered
241 Posts
Sounds like a pain to buy a nice new FS bike and have to convert it to commute all the time - how about a garage sale special to commute with? Cheaper than two wheelsets.

·
since 4/10/2009
33,425 Posts
derailleur hanger breaking off would happen on a FS, too. I had a der hanger break on a bike on its first ride...$hit happens.

there are two reasons parts break on midlevel bikes like yours.

1. they're somewhat cheap parts and in some cases are less durable (especially wheelsets)
2. you're riding the bike beyond its capabilities

since you've already upgraded wheels and brakes, you've taken care of some of those issues with cheap parts. as for riding the bike beyond its capabilities, you have to look at how you ride and how the bike you ride is built. sometimes, #2 is caused by cheap parts. Say, you just ride a lot and put parts through their life cycle quickly. selective upgrades as things wear out fixes that problem. sometimes #2 is caused by riding too aggressively. you ride an xc hardtail with the Rockhopper. It's not built for lots of jumping, blowing through rock gardens, and lots of aggressive urban assault stuff. That bike is made to mostly keep the rubber on terra firma and finesse through rock gardens. If you ride aggressively, then yes, buying a different bike would be an option.

·
Registered
626 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I am not sure on what type of bike I would need for the typical hiking trail in the Adirondacks. usually there are roots and rocks sticking up and whatever else decided to get in the trail. There are lots of hills on most of the trails. Those are the types of trails I ride on. My skill might have something to do with it as well. I am fairly new to the sport, but I do enjoy it.

Ever since I started upgrading the components on the bike the LBS said i should just get a FS instead of throwing parts at it, now I think I should have earlier........

And no I do not think they are just trying to sell another bike, they have helped me out a lot with everything. I have become good friends with them and trust them.

·
Registered
543 Posts
hahahah i know how you feel. i to am too hard on my xc hardtail. i cant afford an fs so i just use it for rockdrops, jumps, and even some downhill which leaves me lots of broken parts. i like to ride everything but just dont have the dough to buy a better bike so i make do with what i have. as for commuting, assuming you buy a fs with an air shock or a lockout, it could function like a hardtail but the downside would be the added weight.

·
Ride Instigator
3,220 Posts
tracerprix said:
The wife said NO to two bikes, WTF!!!!!

Also she will not ride a bike! another WTF!

I guess a FS with another wheel set for road tires
Tell that woman she's lucky you're not into Harleys...and then go get yourself a second bike.

Geez, only one bike...that's like only having one golf club:rolleyes: .

·
Registered
337 Posts
Get a FS with a shock lockout. Then you have your commuter hardtail.

If you want to get your wife on a bike, start telling her about all the cute girls you are meeting on the trails.

·
TRANCER
2,771 Posts
Jay I think that would completely ruin it for him and he might have to probably get rid of BOTH bikes in the end seeing how terrified he is of his woman. Lol :D

1 - 20 of 39 Posts