Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a Giant Yukon who is in need of a new chain, bottom bracket, and crank set. Should I go ahead a upgrade the rest of the bike to 9spd? If I do choose this route how much could I expect to spend? Thanks in advance.

·
(enter witty phrase here)
2,250 Posts
jawilson20 said:
I have a Giant Yukon who is in need of a new chain, bottom bracket, and crank set. Should I go ahead a upgrade the rest of the bike to 9spd? If I do choose this route how much could I expect to spend? Thanks in advance.
You'll need a new 9sp cassette and 9sp shifters as a minimum.
Might need new derailleurs, but it's possible your existing ones will work fine. If you have integrated shifter/brakes, you'll need new shifters and brakes.
How much you spend really depends on the quality of components. Bare minimum $75 for cassette and shifters.

·
climb
2,293 Posts
Save some money and buy an 8-speed cassette, new bb, and chain you should be able to buy some chainrings instead of a new crankset. This is cheaper than all that I mentioned, plus new shifters and new derailluers.

Upgrade when you need to upgrade your Yukon, it will happen soon :)...

·
2,250 Posts
jl said:
Save some money and buy an 8-speed cassette, new bb, and chain you should be able to buy some chainrings instead of a new crankset. This is cheaper than all that I mentioned, plus new shifters and new derailluers.
True. This advice is better than just answering your question. If you can salvage your crank and don't really need new shifters, why upgrade? Lots of money for 1 extra sprocket.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
tlg said:
True. This advice is better than just answering your question. If you can salvage your crank and don't really need new shifters, why upgrade? Lots of money for 1 extra sprocket.
Well the crank arm is what is broken... And I dont see a lot of 8 speed cranks for sale out there.

·
"El Whatever"
18,889 Posts
I might be wrong but cranks are 8/9 sp compatible. So are derraileurs.

What is not compatible are chains, cassettes and shifters (different spacing on cassette is what restrics this).

BTW... Is true that 9 sp is better than 8, but 8 speed setups are more resistant than 9 sp ones. Some people still prefer 8 sp over 9.

Your call.

·
Registered
377 Posts
My bike came with 9, and I'd rather have 8. The 8 speed chain is wider, meaning the sprockets can be made of thicker metal with wider contact surfces, meaning they are noticably more durable. If you abuse your drivetrain, 8 speed is a MUCH better option.

If you do go for 9 speed, try to buy an xt cassette. I've noticed mine has held up much better than the LX or Deore, don't know why. And I'd actually consider buying your rear shifty, so I can "downgrade" to 8 speed next time I need a new casssette.

·
Bike to the Bone...
8,290 Posts
Warp2003 said:

What is not compatible are chains, cassettes and shifters (different spacing on cassette is what restrics this).

BTW... Is true that 9 sp is better than 8, but 8 speed setups are more resistant than 9 sp ones. Some people still prefer 8 sp over 9.

Your call.
I agree with Warp, but I think that some derailleurs are only 8 speeds, some 8/9, and some only 9 spds, check on shimano.com or sram.com

·
mtbr "member"
719 Posts
Definitely save your money...

jawilson20 said:
As everyone's pretty much said, just buy a new crank 9 speed cranks work with 8 speed drive trains. As to whether or not 8 to 9 is an upgrade, is personal preference. All of my bikes that came with 9 speed drive train, I upgraded to 8 speed XTR/Sram setups. Just preference.

As for compatibility of deraillers, I have yet to run into a problem. I have a Sram x7, XTR and XT 9 speed rears on all of my 8 speed systems - no problems.

REEK

·
Premium Member
3,029 Posts
Marketing

rzozaya1969 said:
I agree with Warp, but I think that some derailleurs are only 8 speeds, some 8/9, and some only 9 spds, check on shimano.com or sram.com
Mechs are dumb animals. As long as the cable pull is right (Shimano 2:1 or SRAM 1:1) they pretty much work for any number of speeds.

Used the same rear mech on the wife's bike when she ran 7, 8, and then 9 speed. Got an XTR rear mech or two that have printed on the side Mega 9 that have never seen any more than 8 speeds..

Bought a XTR rear mech off of Ebay from someone who had 'upgraded' from 8 to 9. So I got the 'lesser' XTR rear mech at a decent price. The marketing seemed to be pretty effective there. :)

JmZ

·
2,250 Posts
Warp2003 said:
Cranks are. Some might argue that chainrings aren't. I run a 9sp crank with 8sp drivetrain and it works great. And very many others do the same. Rear derailleurs are compatible. Front ones can be an issue if the cage is narrower for 9sp chains. You could get more chain rub with an 8sp chain. But with Sram shifters you can tune that out :)

Depends on what you consider "better". They do have one extra sprocket. Guess that is better.

·
"El Whatever"
18,889 Posts
tlg said:
Depends on what you consider "better". They do have one extra sprocket. Guess that is better.
I consider them better as the additional gear allows me slightly smaller transitions between gears. I'm a lightweight at 150 pounds fully geared and never have had strong legs (I'm not a gear masher, I'd rather spin faster). I've never snapped a chain without warning (You can feel a vague feeling during the drive side pedal downstroke at the pedal when the chain is about to snap - time to stop and use your chain tool).

9sp are more suited for ME. It's a personal preferences and that is why I call them better. It might not be the same for everyone and that's why I pointed out some people prefer 8sp. For them 8sp is better.

To each his own. What is not arguable is that 8sp systems are more sturdy.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.