Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey all,

I have a gravel bike (Rocky Mountain Solo 50) that has drop bars and a SRAM Apex 1x11 drive train with the 10-42t cassette (XD driver fwiw).

I love the bike, but the 420% range is an issue. I would really like to get the full 500% of SRAM Eagle, but it needs to be with a drop bar shifter.

Question: is there any chance my existing Apex 1x shifter will work with an MTB Eagle 1x derailleur?

If that works, I believe i would be as easy as just throwing on an Eagle cassette, chain, and RD, and then hooking up the RD to the existing cable, right? If that won't work, any other options?

Also, I'm reasonably mechanically inclined but have never swapped out drivetrain components (only servicing chain and basic derailleur adjustments). Should I consider doing this work myself or would it be better to hire it out?

AXS does open up an interesting path in that it offers road/mountain cross-compatibility, but that would be serious $$$, especially as one can't yet buy individual components, only full groupsets.

Thanks!

·
Registered
1,644 Posts
Have you considered another 11 speed cassette with more range? e*thriteen's TRS 11 has 510% range (9 to 46)... more range than SRAM's 12 speed (500%). Just a thought...

·
Never trust a fart
4,543 Posts
The cable pull from a road shifter is different than the mountain side of things with 11 speed.

Other than the new AXS interchangeability, the only other was 10 speed road working with 10 speed mountain,.

Also road XD is different than MTB XD. XD road has a longer hub, so you would have to utilize a 1.85mm spacer behind the MTB cassette for it to work.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Have you considered another 11 speed cassette with more range? e*thriteen's TRS 11 has 510% range (9 to 46)... more range than SRAM's 12 speed (500%). Just a thought...
Honestly, I should have, but I hadn't considered that option. Barring something easy, that may well be the way to go. Thanks!

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I just wanted to come back and say "thank you!" for this awesome suggestion. I just swapped the new cassette in this weekend along with a larger front chainring and new chain. Installation was a breeze (no derailleur adjustment needed) and the new setup shifts just as well as the old, only I've gained a bit of range on the low end and significant range on the high end.

We'll see about durability, but I'm thrilled for now.

Thanks again!

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.