Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey all,

Just received a Specialized Hardrock Sport for Fathers Day. I understand this is a somewhat entry-level bike and I am a somewhat entry-level rider. I do mainly mountain, freeride and heavy terrain...but I'm not luanching myself out of a helicopter or anything that hardcore as of yet.

My question pertains to upgrades. While I am new, I do know some things about performance. I am not thrilled with the factory fork and am looking to upgrade to something a bit more high-performance. I am bottoming the current fork out on medium-level terrain and would like to invest in something more high-level. Am I correct in assuming that I cannot put a DH fork on this Hardcore? I heard something about DH forks snapping frames. Any suggestions?

Tires. I have already ruptured two of the stock tires on this bike on again, mild terrain. Should I go tubeless? With tubes? Kenda? Continental? What really are good mountain tires that will take a beating. And with that...any rim suggestions?

Need to replace these pedals too. They are a nightmare. Any suggestions?

I know many of you would say 'trade it in" but as I mentioned, it was a gift. That being said, I would like to build a better performance bike through upgrading. Any recommendations would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

Paul in OC

·
Registered
293 Posts
Cool gift.

First thing to buy is a helmet. Second, swap the pedals for some clipless and get some shoes too. You probably need a heavier spring in your fork. Take it to your LBS and have them swap that for you. Should cost you $50.00 or so.

If you really want to spend the money on a fork $$$$, stick close to the travel of the fork that came on the bike. Do not put a downhill fork on your bike. Not only will you void your warranty, it will completely throw off the handling of the bike, make it impossible to climb, and probably snap the frame. Also, you will be laughed at.

Converting to tubeless tires can also get expensive. You can possibly use a slime kit, but tire and rims are a factor. Buy some good quality tubes and tires and run the proper psi.

The general consensus around here is to upgrade when you break something.

·
BrassBalled DropbarNinja
11,813 Posts
first thing to do would be tyres... grab a 2.5 Maxxis minion dhf and a 2.35 highroller in the back... as for fork, you could probably just get new springs for it. I wouldnt drop too much money into that bike. You'd be better off buying a new one...

·
Ride the dream
1,381 Posts
sru said:
stick close to the travel of the fork that came on the bike. Do not put a downhill fork on your bike
To be more specific - find the axle-to-crown (AtC) height of your current fork.
When looking at replacement forks, make sure the AtC is not more than 20mm longer than the original fork was.

·
Ride the dream
1,381 Posts
2.5/2.35 tires on a hardrock?! :skep: :skep: :skep: :skep:

I would have thought 2.35 each end would be more than enough (much more).

For tires, probably 2.35 Highrollers or 2.35 Nevegals (DtC)... I wouldnt put anything bigger than that on a hardrock.

·
BrassBalled DropbarNinja
11,813 Posts
EnglishT said:
2.5/2.35 tires on a hardrock?! :skep: :skep: :skep: :skep:

I would have thought 2.35 each end would be more than enough (much more).

For tires, probably 2.35 Highrollers or 2.35 Nevegals (DtC)... I wouldnt put anything bigger than that on a hardrock.
Op soudns like he wants to get into some harder riding. 2.5 front and 2.35 is the sweet spot for AM riding imo. Plus it'll help take some cush off the rear end with a 2.35 and the 2.5 in the front will be awesome for the tight corners. 2.5 3c Minion DHF/ 2.35 60 Highroller would be perfect. Also sounds like op is a big guy. Would suck if he pinch flatted running skinney tires... lols

·
Ride the dream
1,381 Posts
I kinda see where you're comin from, but that seems massive overkill really - a 2.35/2.35 would be more than enough...

Especially considering that the bike in question would probably be in pieces if you rode the sorts of things where you'd need a 2.5 in the front.

In honesty though, I totally agree where you say he should just replace the bike outright - much more sensible thing to do :)

·
Registered
2,903 Posts
i doubt the stock rims are made to take more than a 2.1 anyway...

what you're asking is like asking what are the best pads to jump out of a plane without a parachute.. you dont need pads, you need a parachute ;)

cool gift, but that bike has its limits.. you should keep it stock and use it as a nice second bike, its never going to do what you want it to.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.