Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
96 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I own a '97 Klein Attitude with for the most part, original components. (8spd) Does the bike still function? Yes, for the most part, besides a creaking bottom bracket. I'm in the Midwest (Chicagoland) and prefer a more laid-back single track trail than anything rocky, rutty, etc. All in all, I like riding dirt but prefer to keep it simple. I dig my cyclo cross bike a lot more these days.

I'm either looking to upgrade everything on my Klein or purchase a Santa Cruz Blur. Why keep the Klein? I feel like it rides great, still looks smooth and climbs way better than anything I'd buy new would - that could be a false assumption though. New drivetrain, (XO/XT) upgrade to Avid Ultimate Vs, new wheels, etc. For what it's worth, my '97 Judy fork still feels excellent, so no need to throw down $400+ for a Fox. I figure I can do this upgrade easily for half of what a new Blur would go for.

And then why a new Blur? I'd love disc brakes and a cushy ride that a full-suspension rig would provide. The feeling of a new ride could be a great catalyst to get out there and race this upcoming season. Realistically though, for what I prefer to ride, my Klein will more than suffice. (maybe I just answered my own question) It's not money holding me back, but more an attachment to my 12 year old frame. Anyone ever had the same situation? If you have a Blur, is it what everyone claims it to be?

·
Former Bike Wrench
15,976 Posts
Does the Klein even need the upgrades? I know 8 speed stuff is getting hard to find (at least good 8 speed stuff) but otherwise it functions perfectly good. Why not just keep the Klein as is for your hardtail.

If you want a Blur (or any other FS) then go ahead and get that, now you have two bikes for different conditions. I'm down to one mtb (29er hardtail) but I always enjoyed having a hardtail and FS when I did because the same trail would feel totally different with a hardtail than with a FS (and visa-versa)

·
Registered
1,453 Posts
I agree,
keep the Klein the way it is and get a full squish.

Its quite convenient to have two bikes.I actually have two F/S bikes but one i use for night riding and don't have to ever remove the lights,my other is lighter and built for speed.

There is absolutely no market for 10+ year old mtnbikes so you may as well hang on to them and ride them the way they are VS upgrading a frame that has been fatigued over time.

·
Registered
1,496 Posts
i recommend just upgrading the klein to make it just good enough. i'm in a similar situation with a 1995 giant- i bought a new gf 29er, but still want to do some basics to my giant so it's in decent working order.

enjoy! i'm in the chicagoland area too (schaumburg) and i'm looking forward to nicer weather to get out- too wet lately!

·
Premium Member
3,029 Posts
Gotta agree with a lot of the other posters - gtet down to Performance or your favorite local shop and get the (hopefully few) parts you need to keep the Klein running in good shape.

Then take some time and shop for your fun dual squishy.

Keeping the Klein means you have a bike if the new dual squishy needs fixed, means you have a loaner bike, and means you have something for a change of pace.

If it becomes that you don't want to ride the Klein as is later - you can always single-speed the bike for a completely different feel.

I didn't run into anything I needed more than 4" of travel anywhere in Indiana, Michigan, Ohio, or even the few trails in Wisconsin I tried.

Good luck,

JmZ

BetterThanAliens said:
I own a '97 Klein Attitude with for the most part, original components. (8spd) Does the bike still function? Yes, for the most part, besides a creaking bottom bracket. I'm in the Midwest (Chicagoland) and prefer a more laid-back single track trail than anything rocky, rutty, etc. All in all, I like riding dirt but prefer to keep it simple. I dig my cyclo cross bike a lot more these days.

I'm either looking to upgrade everything on my Klein or purchase a Santa Cruz Blur. Why keep the Klein? I feel like it rides great, still looks smooth and climbs way better than anything I'd buy new would - that could be a false assumption though. New drivetrain, (XO/XT) upgrade to Avid Ultimate Vs, new wheels, etc. For what it's worth, my '97 Judy fork still feels excellent, so no need to throw down $400+ for a Fox. I figure I can do this upgrade easily for half of what a new Blur would go for.

And then why a new Blur? I'd love disc brakes and a cushy ride that a full-suspension rig would provide. The feeling of a new ride could be a great catalyst to get out there and race this upcoming season. Realistically though, for what I prefer to ride, my Klein will more than suffice. (maybe I just answered my own question) It's not money holding me back, but more an attachment to my 12 year old frame. Anyone ever had the same situation? If you have a Blur, is it what everyone claims it to be?

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.