1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I have a Salsa Timberjack NX1 2018.

Very similar to:
https://salsacycles.com/bikes/timberjack/2019_timberjack_deore_27.5

But without dropper post and have a Rockshok Judy Post.

I am considering moving to a 29er. Does it make sense to add dropper post and 29 inch wheels/tires to this bike along with eventual upgrading other components? (The disc brakes are Tektro)'

Or am I better off putting money aside and buying another bike for ~1999 price point or should I try and go even higher?

Looking to keep hard tail as well.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I think the TJ can take both sets of wheels. I don't know for sure but you can ask the question in the Salsa forum to be sure. It would save you quite a few bucks if it can use both wheels.

Here is the running TJ thread to help you out: https://forums.mtbr.com/salsa/timberjack-thread-1031040-11.html
Hey I guess I forgot to mention, bit I'm looking more for long term. Like is the frame solid and worth putting good parts on. Or is it a novice frame/bike (in terms of weight and components) that I should maybe keep it as a backup and move on to something better as I progress as a biker?

·
Registered
867 Posts
So to answer your question.... Yes.

Meaning is it a good frame that's worthy of upgrading? Absolutely.

Is this a good time to consider another bike... especially if you're lusting after full suspension? Absolutely.

Timberjacks are great hardtails. I've been lusting after one with a pike or a fox 34 on it for quite awhile. If you upgraded your fork and wheels you'd have a screamer of a bike. The other parts I would just upgrade when they broke. You can run 29ers on the TJ for sure.

·
jcd's best friend
3,330 Posts
Hey I guess I forgot to mention, bit I'm looking more for long term. Like is the frame solid and worth putting good parts on. Or is it a novice frame/bike (in terms of weight and components) that I should maybe keep it as a backup and move on to something better as I progress as a biker?
Personally, I think it's worth keeping and doing some upgrades as you go. It uses trail bike geometry and has an adjustable chainstay length. Most hardtails around the $1500 price range are definitely keepers and allow you to upgrade as you progress.

·
Wanna ride bikes?
9,790 Posts
Invest in some upgrades, it's a good frame. Geometry is pretty good, it's a bike you can keep for a long time.

New wheels, a dropper, or a new fork upgrade are completely justified.

The frame is the foundation, the rest is bolt-on. Make it how you want it.

·
Hitching a ride
3,193 Posts
What I'm saying is that fs is a major change that he would feel; going to 29 wheels or different brand brakes are incremental things that hedonic adaption is going to attenuate rapidly.

·
Wanna ride bikes?
9,790 Posts
What I'm saying is that fs is a major change that he would feel; going to 29 wheels or different brand brakes are incremental things that hedonic adaption is going to attenuate rapidly.
I see. So you're of the opinion that all hardtails are the same, none of them are any good, they're only for beginners, and a $700 version is the same as a $6,000 unit?

·
Wanna ride bikes?
9,790 Posts
Next question: He can make significant changes for little money as has already been pointed out. $300-1,200 would make a significant difference compared to his entry level components.

What kind of full suspension bike do you recommend he buys for up to $1,200?

·
Fart smeller
Paid to post this crap.
19,859 Posts
Well! I learned a new word today, thankyouverramoooooch.

Hedonic: relating to or considered in terms of pleasant (or unpleasant) sensations

·
Hitching a ride
3,193 Posts
Next question: He can make significant changes for little money as has already been pointed out. $300-1,200 would make a significant difference compared to his entry level components.

What kind of full suspension bike do you recommend he buys for up to $1,200?
What am I getting paid to answer these boring questions?

·
Registered
3,246 Posts
with 27.5x2.8 tires, doubt 29ers will feel much different. id just ride it and save up for a new one. when this one is pretty beat up, buy a new bike

in a few years, youll know more, have more money and have more riding exp

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Thanks everybody for the responses.
I think I'll probably just replace things as needed for now and feel out where that takes me. Probably leave the wheels for now and maybe add a dropper post in the near future.

Thanks again

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.