Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hi all, I`m new here and could use some help on what to do.I`ve got a 2000 gary fisher joshua f4 thats stock and it pretty good shape cause I`ve havent rode it in about 5 years,but my cousin got a new bike and i got the desire to start riding again and someone to ride with.I found some new trails and they are pretty wild to ride.Mostly twisty,rooty,sandy and with some good elevation changes through out. I like the way my bike rides and so that leads me to my question which is should i upgrade it,like maybe a front disc and better fork and if so which fork or maybe buying a new bike to get a little more travel in the suspension? Income tax time is here and i will have about a 1000 to blow. I have been researching the net and come up with 3, they are the Iron Horse Sachem 4, Mongoose Teocali comp and the Schwinn Rocket Pro.I think the iron horse will have the most travel,it will be cool to have a new bike but will it be that much better.Any help or advice will be greatly appreciated. Thanks

·
Registered
3,267 Posts
Why blow a grand? You haven't ridden your bike in 5 years and you *need* a new one all of a sudden? See if you're actually going to ride this time, save your cash and in a year if you're still riding, start looking. Travel is over rated anyway...

·
Freshly Fujified
8,199 Posts
Slow down

Jugdish has a few points that make sense. I would make sure that you're really going to get back into the sport before spending the money. It sounds on the surface that your interest was only piqued because your cousin got a new bike. Ride the Joshua for a while and if you maintain your interest level, then go ahead and get a new bike. This will also give you more time to research and save money.

Bob

·
Banned
462 Posts
Call_me_Clyde said:
Jugdish has a few points that make sense. I would make sure that you're really going to get back into the sport before spending the money. It sounds on the surface that your interest was only piqued because your cousin got a new bike. Ride the Joshua for a while and if you maintain your interest level, then go ahead and get a new bike. This will also give you more time to research and save money.

Bob
I agree with Bob 100%. Ride for a little bit and see how much you like it. That'll also give you time to see what aspects of riding you enjoy the most. If you're into jumps you might want to get a Full Suspension bike or if you like to go on long trekking rides a light XC speedster might be right for you. And hang around here for a bit and you can also see which bikes are good or not so good. :thumbsup:

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Hey jugdish, thanks for the reply and advice. u right , i just started and forgot how much fun it is, i was just into boating for awhile and got away from it till my cousin got a bike but i will take your advice and ride for a while and hopfully loose some pounds too,thanks again

·
Registered
312 Posts
While the aforementioned personnel have mentioned, it's good to ride awhile and see if you're going to get back into it. However, if you're got a grand to blow and don't feel like spending it on bills or savings, sure, blow it on a new bike!

-Rob

·
Registered
502 Posts
I'm with Clyde, take a step back. Stretch the legs and decide what type of riding... What kind of riding does your cousin do? Also make sure you ride with a group that you enjoy, the bike comes second. PS: What kind of boating? Motor or sail? very cool. All the best!

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Well I am going to take clydes advice and step back and just get some riding in. Pretty rusty first couple of rides.We have been just cross country riding with some pretty technical parts with some small down hill drops. Having trouble on the downhill when i come to a small tree crossing the path. I build up speed to jump it and the front wheel comes off the ground but the the back wheel hits the tree and kicks up and shoots me over the handle bars.I think i might be going a little to fast.Oh by the way I got a 23 foot sailboat that i sailed but hurricane ivan damaged it so i start riding again while its been tore up and forgot how much fun it is.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.