Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Ive got a 05' stumpjumper FSR. Rim breaks, XTR rd, Deore LX/Deore everythign else. 100mm travel on both front and rear.

Got it for $500 from a coworker...can probably sell it still for 600-800 according to craigslist/ebay.

thinking about replaceing it with this BikesDirect bike.

http://bikesdirect.com/products/motobecane/700ds_x.htm

Whatcha think?? keep the used brand name stumpy or go with a brand new BD bike that is roughly equivilent .

would you do it and why??

·
since 4/10/2009
30,187 Posts
this is a joke, right?

what makes you think you'd be upgrading by selling the stumpy and buying that thing? I understand some people don't like the big S, but in what way is that an upgrade?

this the stumpy you've got?
http://www.bikepedia.com/QuickBike/BikeSpecs.aspx?ItemID=93165&Type=bike

you'd be trading a Manitou Black Elite and a Fox Float R ProPedal for a Dart 2 and a no-name rear shock?

an $1800 bike for a $600 bike is not even remotely "roughly equivilent"

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
im new to this. just got this bike ..just looking at what my options are..I thought being 5 years old there would be some value in a newer BD bike.. but guess not. thanks!!

·
Banned
19,198 Posts
jton219 said:
im new to this. just got this bike ..just looking at what my options are..I thought being 5 years old there would be some value in a newer BD bike.. but guess not. thanks!!

The value is in your Stumpy , it may be 5 y.o. but the B.D. ride is 10 y.o. frame tech and low end components .

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
i dont know anything about MTB suspension. i thought 100mm travel here is same as anywhere else. components wise, Everything on the BD bike is deore/LX and XT. Only the rear derailer on the stumpy stands out as XTR. Everythign else is also LX and Deore. Also it had disk brakes while my stumpy is on rim v brakes.

i guess thats how BD gets you. Throw out component names and hope you bite.

·
Registered
1,314 Posts
Like everyone said: save the Stumpy. You got a decent deal on it, it has reasonably good components, and it doesn't owe you anything so long as you maintain it well. Newer isn't always better :thumbsup:

·
pitbull592
151 Posts
I would just upgrade your stumpy. It's not too hard to convert over to disc brakes, etc... You have a solid platform to build upon. I'm still riding my 03 epic & it still holds its own compared with all my buddies new rigs. Newer isn't always better imo.

·
since 4/10/2009
30,187 Posts
pitbull592 said:
I would just upgrade your stumpy. It's not too hard to convert over to disc brakes, etc... You have a solid platform to build upon. I'm still riding my 03 epic & it still holds its own compared with all my buddies new rigs. Newer isn't always better imo.
I am still riding a 2003 Stumpy FSR I bought new, also. It rides like new (except I bent a der hanger on my Saturday night right), and lots of people think it's a hot new bike. I kinda roll my eyes at 'em and say the bike is 7yrs old now.

If you want disc brakes, you can get a pair of Avid BB7 calipers that will work with your existing levers. You'll want new cables and housing because the routing of the brake lines will be different (longer cables, more housing), but you might be able to swing that upgrade for about $100, and they'll be better than the disc brakes you get on the BD bike.

But the Vees are fine, and you can rock 'em until you decide the performance isn't enough. Considering you're new, the Vees will be fine for you for awhile, I think. You'll be unlikely to push their limits so soon.

·
Registered
1,808 Posts
The Stumpjumper will still be worth $500 next week. One ride on the BD bike and it's worth $300 if your lucky.

·
Registered
76 Posts
A bike is like a Tree.

The frame, and suspension parts are the trunk, the rest is just leaves. Leaves fall off and can always grow back, but having a good truck is critical. If you have a shitty trunk, you have a shitty tree. Thus a shitty frame and suspension means a shitty bike.

The stumpy is a great bike. Stop worrying about what you don't have and go ride it.

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
thanks everyone.. made that decision easy. i will definitely put the stumpy to use whenever i can.

probably gonna hit Fullerton loop again again this sunday. Its a great beginner level loop to learn on.

·
pitbull592
151 Posts
NateHawk said:
I am still riding a 2003 Stumpy FSR I bought new, also. It rides like new (except I bent a der hanger on my Saturday night right), and lots of people think it's a hot new bike. I kinda roll my eyes at 'em and say the bike is 7yrs old now.

If you want disc brakes, you can get a pair of Avid BB7 calipers that will work with your existing levers. You'll want new cables and housing because the routing of the brake lines will be different (longer cables, more housing), but you might be able to swing that upgrade for about $100, and they'll be better than the disc brakes you get on the BD bike.

But the Vees are fine, and you can rock 'em until you decide the performance isn't enough. Considering you're new, the Vees will be fine for you for awhile, I think. You'll be unlikely to push their limits so soon.
Great advice, seems like the 03's where solid bikes. No matter what happens in the future I'll be keeping my 03 epic. I currently made mine the poor mans 2x9. changed from a 32/22 set up to a 36/26 with a bashguard & haven't looked back.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts