Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 1999 Raleigh M80 with Deore components and a Rock Shox Jett fork. The left shifter is broken. I have been thinking about changing the components to Sram X.7 and upgrading the fork to a Tora 302 - total investtment about $300. I really don't do any real technical or difficult trail riding, although I ride some single track with your usual fallen trees, stream crossings, etc. I have been thinking of building a nice 29" hybrid along the line of the 2007 Specialized Crosstrail Limited which is no longer made.

This hybrid may replace my old 1982 Trek 736 road bike and the Raleigh M80, or more then likely supplement them. I am a pretty good home mechanic and have even built the wheels on my road bike.

Anyway, any feedback on updating the Raleigh would be appreciated.

·
Registered
2,585 Posts
Upgrading can be expensive relative to what you get out of it. For example for less than $800 you could get a newer bike featuring disc brakes, 27 speed XT drive train, and a Reba or Fox F80 fork on Ebay. If you upgrade stay with used parts or heavily discounted parts. I would look specifically at Ebay-used and Jenson and Pricepoint for new old stock.

I think disc brakes are worth having and if you dont have a disc ready set of wheels thats an additional cost. Personally I wouldnt put any money other than basic fixing unless I totally loved the bike or I was going to use it for racing without disc brakes. Converting to a 27 speed drive train, disc brakes, new wheel set and new fork will usually not be worth it unless you get all the parts very cheap off Ebay.

I like the 29er idea. You could get a 29er mountain bike and buy a rigid fork and an extra set of wheels and the bike could perform double duty.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.