Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi All I am brand new here. I have a few questions I would like to ask you all.

I currently have a 1996 Specialized Rockhopper with the same specs as the ones provided in this link:

http://www.bikepedia.com/QuickBike/...and=Specialized&Model=Rockhopper+A1&Type=bike

I have been riding it recently on pavement and on some pretty gnarly trails. I would like to upgrade the front forks with a set of suspension forks. I am aware that the forks are threaded. I have been looking and I can't really find a set of decent 1 1/8" threaded suspension forks. Is it very hard to upgrade the bike to a threadless headset and stem? I have been reading the past few days and the only thing that seems hard is the upgrading the bearing set on the bike frame. Please let me know what my options are.

The rest of the bike overall is very solid. I have been fit for this bike and it suits me well. I would just like to upgrade the front forks to suspension forks. Any helpful information is appreciated.

·
Registered
290 Posts
Until someone else chimes in, I'm guessing you'll need at least:
- New threadless headset
- New stem
- New fork

A decent and cheap fork is the Dart. I'd stick with an 80mm fork, since your frame isn't designed for much (if any) travel.

Rigid forks aren't bad. Some people will pay upwards of $300 for a good carbon rigid fork these days. Low-tech is the new high-tech.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.