Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
326 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I bought a complete bike w NX 11speed a while ago and have been slowly upgrading parts. Have a new garbaruk cassette, xt shifter and rear derailleur. The original bb and crank are ready for an upgrade. Looking for advice/opinions on where to go.

Don't want to spend ee-wing type $$$, but would consider carbon. I'm leaning towards aluminum arms based in how banged up my current arm ends are. Any input from carbon crank owners in this department is welcome.

Planning to switch to 170mm length to help reduce rock strikes, but east coast riding means they're going to happen even w ratchet pedaling.

I know most cranks will be an upgrade over the nx, just looking for info from others on what they ride and how they like it.

Thanks!

·
Registered
1,617 Posts
What is wrong with the NX? If you bang up cranks, you are better off not buying expensive ones. CF is strong, but it isn't great for getting hit with by rocks and the fibers exposed etc. Metal is much better in that respect, a ding is just a ding.

I wouldn't use shorter cranks if they are not "your size". You get worse pedaling efficiency, and still will get rock strikes anyway. Assuming you have 175mm now, you save 5mm. Unless all your recent rock strikes are within the 5mm, you wouldn't have avoided those strikes with 170mm cranks.

·
Registered
326 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for the input. NX are creaking and bb needs to be replaced. That's a better reason than I had for replacing the other NX stuff on the bike...
I've been told to look for small cracks on the cinch ring where it bolts to the arm as the source of a creak, but the dentist in me is just saying "upgrade them!" (No I'm not a dentist, no offense to those of you who are...)

·
Registered
9,754 Posts
Agree the only reason to upgrade cranks is to save a little weight. IMO, 170 is fine, especially if you don't have very long legs/tall. 5mm will help a little with pedal strikes, but not a heck of a lot. Vigilance, attention, phasing cranks and ratcheting is the key here. If the chainring mounting screws are loose or the crank arm bolt not torqued to spec the crank might creak but it's almost certainly the BB that's creaking. It could be the spindle in the BB, which only needs grease to fix, or it could be the BB in the frame. What's the BB frame interface? Spindle on your NX crank is GXP. Other cranks may have other spindles. I'd probably go with a Dub spindle/bb. SRAM, Truvative, Raceface, all have suitable cranks. ,

·
Registered
1,246 Posts
NX, GX, Truvativ Descendant DUB alu cranks are great, cheap and very light.

You can get take offs from people for like 50, 60$ and those cranks sans chainring are under 600gr. That's quite light.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.