Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Beemer2
125 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a couple of these lights, one on the bars, one on the helmet, which impressed me two years ago but today seem a little dim. Has anyone tried replacing the led with something different? I love these lights, surely wish they had a little more output

·
Registered
2,374 Posts
I've upgraded a friend's Minewt USB from a SSC P4 ?bin to a P4 U bin LED - easy to do but doesn't really make much difference. A P7 is possible, I think, but the current the Minewt driver provides wouldn't be enough to drive it properly. An XP-G on a 10mm star might fit - I can't remember off the top of my head how big the hole in the mounting board is (the minewt LED is soldered to a donut shaped board but the back of the LED sits on a post that pokes through the board).

Of all of them the XP-G is probably going to make the most difference, but the hardest to do. They only cost ~$8 though, so it wouldn't be a huge loss if it didn't and you could use the LED in another project :)

·
Beemer2
125 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Great!

Please let me know how this works out for you, are you doing a Minewt X2 by chance? Any help you could give me would truly be appreciated, I love the light I just need a little more output.

·
Registered
2,374 Posts
I've done a few XM-L MiNewt upgrades. They're not difficult, but you need to be able to either reuse the LED board or dig out a couple of resistors for the voltage sensing yellow wire otherwise the light will not stay on

·
Registered
7 Posts
I had Niterider upgrade my x2 (150 Lumen) to a 200 lumen LED about 14 months ago. They quoted me 30.00, plus handling. I saved myself the handling, when I asked the niterider tech guys to do it at a 24hour race. They did it for the 30 bucks.

I recently emailed them to see if they would upgrade it to the 350 and was advised they could not. :-(

Best regards,

·
Registered
2,374 Posts
that's nice to know. I'm guessing it was a P4 T bin> P4 U2 bin upgrade, which is pretty easy to do (just unsolder the existing LED and solder the new one in). I have an idea for a simple way to use the XM-L in the Minewt housing, but I have to wait for someone in my group to need it doing first. Rather than reuse the existing board (or bits of it), you just have to wire 2 1kO (or 1.2kO, I'd have to check) resistors between the + pad, yellow wire and - pad of the LED. That would get ~350-400lm for not much effort.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.