Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi,
I currently use the following set of locks:
Kryptonite Evolution 4 U-lock (soldsecure: Gold) + Abus Centuro 860 (soldsecure: Bronze) and use the U-lock to secure the rear wheel to the frame and cable to secure the frame and front wheel to the rack. (Unfortunately the rack structure doesn't allow to use the U-lock to secure the frame to the rack).

I'm planning to get a more expensive bike now and even though I don't plan to park it anywhere but in my flat, it could sometimes happen that I need to park it outside a shop, or at work, so I'm thinking of getting an upgrade for Abus 860.
Price: 40-70 EUR (55-95 USD)
Main criteria is that it should be at least 110 cm.

I was thinking of going with Abus steel-o-chain ivy 9100 (soldsecure: gold).

Would be grateful for any suggestions/comment :)

·
Registered
15,139 Posts
I would find a secure place at work for inside or protected storage. I wouldn't leave a high end bike repeatedly outside in the same place no matter what lock. If that isn't possible I would park it at an attended carpark(locked) right under the gaze of the attendant(donuts?) and walk a few blocks if necessary. I'd suggest a cover for it also. For short term shop stops more minor protection including chain off the front cog, shifter preshift set and light cable should do.

·
Registered
265 Posts
I agree with not locking it in the same place outside consistently. Shops sure because that unpredictable but not work.

Talk to your facility manager at work, mine allows me to bring my inside my office. They also may have a good suggestion for you.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks for the answers, but let me clarify my situation.
I'm not planning to use the more expensive bike for commuting, I have a cheaper one for that, but there may happen situations (e.g. cheaper bike breaks down), that I'll have to use the more expensive one several times, so I need to cater for this kind of 'events'.
Storing inside is not an option, unfortunately.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.