Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've got a hardtail that I use on the trails. I'm 200 pounds / 6'5"

I have avid BB5 brakes 160mm front and rear. I was doing some new downhill areas over the weekend and thought to myself "boy, I could really stand more brake power through here" as I trembled on. :D

Anyway, I want to eventually get a set of Juicy 7's on there but don't have the funds for it right now. I'd like to just upgrade the front rotor to a 203mm...

My LBS is fantastic, but they don't have a huge selection of little stuff like that hanging on the walls.

What do I need to shop for and where? I know I'll need the 203mm Avid rotor, and an adapter? possibly different bolts for the caliper/adapter?

Point me in the right direction, please :thumbsup:

·
Registered
2,903 Posts
you need a 203mm adapter and a 203mm rotor. thats it.

pricepoint has alligator rotors for about 20 bucks.. so for around 30-40 bucks you could have 203mm bb5's. for about 50-55 bucks you could just buy an entire 203mm bb7.

the bb7's have larger pads.. more braking surface = more power. i think its worth spending a tad bit more for the entire bb7 setup.

·
Registered
2,903 Posts
AaronAnderson said:
I'm going to Juicy 7's or similar in a month two. It might be easier to just get the bb7 caliper up front though :)
if you're going to buy j7's why are you even bothering buying rotors that you're just going to remove in a month anyway?

just hold out and buy 203mm j7s :confused:

·
Registered
906 Posts
tomsmoto said:
if you're going to buy j7's why are you even bothering buying rotors that you're just going to remove in a month anyway?

just hold out and buy 203mm j7s :confused:
+1

the larger rotor will increase fade resistance (heat dissipation), but IMO it's not going to give you the power you want in your bb5's. I would just suck it up and hang on until you can step up to the system you want.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.