Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi,

I'm thinking about upgrading my fork (2018 Pike RC, 160 travel, 42 offset, debonair) in my 29er enduro rig (whyte S150)

I can get Ohlins RXF36 evo or new Lyrik Ultimate RC2 in good prices (close to each other).

As pike doesn't really keep up due to spiking and general lack of composure when I get up to speed on rockgardens Im thinking about upgrading.

I really like my current geometry based on that shorter offset (42 insted of 51mm).

Does anyone have experience with Lyrik and updated RXF36? Im wondering which one is better. One problem I have is that the Ohlins only comes with longer offset, and I'm not certain how much will it change handling of the bike.

I've read everything I found about changing offsets, and there is exactly every possibility claimed, from no difference, to getting more stability, less stability, big difference, so that doesn't really help me.

So to sum up - is Ohlins better? And better so much as to risk some tradeoffs in geometry? My current reach is 475, and HTA is 65,6

·
mbtr member
6,503 Posts
I spent a bunch of time messing with the shim stacks with my pike rct3, but i wasn't able to get it to perform to my expectations. I replaced it with an xfusion fork. The RC starts out with a much coarser tune, but my understanding is that the fundamental problem is the same with both forks. That said, my buddy is running a RC with the compression tune dramatically softened-up and the LSC knob mostly closed on his hardtail, and he likes it, despite being pretty fork-snobby.

I don't think it's possible to get really great consensus to your original question. It mixes offset and brand and pretty different damper tuning philosophies.

The best suspension i've used has been custom tuned stuff. I've also used mediocre custom tuned suspension that was probably handicapped by the capabilities of the original equipment.

Interesting topic!

·
Underskilled
4,816 Posts
Pike has a nice chassis, mediocre spring and poor damper.

Vorsprung smashpot and hc97 might be worth a try.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Well, I guess what I had in mind posting these two questions (whether Ohlins RXF36 is better that Lyrik and how important is offset) is getting two answers in one thread, not necessarily from the same people :)

The biggest is maybe if pike with HC97 will work better than Ohlins RXF36 evo? Keeping in mind that I do like small bump sensitivity

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.