Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all;

Have a 2003 XTC with Mavic X221, 32H rims, shimano hubs. Do not know the weight of the particular setup.

I am looking to upgrade in the next year; I really don't know much about wheeels other than what I have picked up here by browsing.

Please tell me what would be a reasonable upgrade for $200-$300. If you could explain the differences in rims/hubs/ etc it would be appreciated.

·
enormous member
62 Posts
It's kinda hard to say if you don't tell us what kind of riding you do, how much you weigh, how smooth a rider you are etc.

That said, I had pretty much the same stock setup and didn't have any problems. I've tried more expensive variations and there haven't been any noticeable improvements. If you look after your equipment, it won't let you down.

When it comes to wheels, the builder is more important than the parts. Invest in a spoke wrench, read Sheldon Brown's wheelbuilding page and experiment. If you're looking to lose weight, check out weightweenies.

I'm of the "if it ain't broke, don't fix it mentality", so I would keep those wheels until they die. Took me 5 years:eek: XT hubs are still spinning (8 years)

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks! I didn't think about including other info.

I am 175 lbs, ride mostly non-technical singletrack. I am not ready to replace them yet, just trying to learn more about wheels. Wasn't sure if I have a heavy or light wheelset? Strong or weak? I really don't understand much about them.

32H means 32 spokes, correct?

Does Mavic have a series of 2/3/5/7 and is that strength or weight or both?

·
Registered
6,844 Posts
arrowheadtroutm said:
Thanks! I didn't think about including other info.

I am 175 lbs, ride mostly non-technical singletrack. I am not ready to replace them yet, just trying to learn more about wheels. Wasn't sure if I have a heavy or light wheelset? Strong or weak? I really don't understand much about them.

32H means 32 spokes, correct?

Does Mavic have a series of 2/3/5/7 and is that strength or weight or both?
This is one topic where a search should get you lots of info ("Mavic numbering" or something like that).

Yeah, generally their Mavic's higher first number refers to the rim "quality", second and third numbers are the inside width. 2xx is usually OEM I think, and uses a cheaper/heavier alloy. 7xx are their high end non-UST rims.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.