Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
434 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Looking to upgrade the bike, not necessary but always fun to get some new gear.

Spec is

Fork:
Fox F125RL, tapered, 15QR
Shock: Fox Float R
Handlebar: Giant Connect
Stem: Giant Connect
Seatpost: Giant Connect
Saddle: Fizik Gobi XM MG

Shifters:Shimano Deore
Front Derailleur: Shimano Deore
Rear Derailleur: Shimano SLX shadow
Brakes: Shimano BL-M445 180MM rotor f/r
Brake Levers: Shimano BR-M505
Cassette: Shimano HG50 11-34T
Chain: Shimano HG73
Crankset: Shimano FC-M542 44-32-22T
Bottom Bracket: Shimano pressfit SM-BB71-41A

Rims Giant S-XC2
Hubs Shimano M475 rear / Giant Tracker 15QR, sealed cartridge bearing front

Where do I start, and what would you recommend?

·
Registered
71 Posts
dropper post and angleset (just joking)...

The first things I would consider are wheels (tires and cassette) and a decent carbon fiber handlebar with a set of softer grips. UST rims would make an easy switch to tubeless... highly recommended. You would still have your OEM wheelset that could be used as beaters or when you have a flat and haven't gotten around to changing it.

You already have great shifters, derailleurs, cranks, fork and shock. I wouldn't bother touching those until something is worn or broke.

·
Registered
464 Posts
Depending on the width of the bar, sw to a wider bar 710mm to 745mm, will change how the bike reacts to you, and is cheap. Don't know what kind of tires it came with, but might want to think about switching those also, depending on where you live and what you ride. Basically, anything that connects with you or the ground is going to be worth changing first, as you will feel it the most also. Light wheels make a difference too, but start to get expensive.

1. Handlebars/grips/stem
2. Tires

·
Registered
434 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
What would be a good wheelset? Shimano XT M785? Our would a custom built wheel be a better choice?

A Giant Contact Switch Seatpost is already on it's way. Any recommendation for grip?

Budget = $700-800

·
Registered
534 Posts
I would change the brakes and go to a four piston Avid Code R. I have a 2011 Trance X2 and the Elixir 3's were the first thing to go followed by the saddle and seatpost (I used a shorter seatpost).

I'm sure your Shimano brakes aren't bad but you will have far more confidence in your riding when you have a good set of brakes. Good brakes will allow you to push the bike faster when you hit the switchbacks and allow you to carry more momentum when you travel down the hills.

Powerful Brakes=More Fun!

·
Banned
1,464 Posts
What would be a good wheelset? Shimano XT M785? Our would a custom built wheel be a better choice?

A Giant Contact Switch Seatpost is already on it's way. Any recommendation for grip?

Budget = $700-800
Definitely something tubeless.

I have Havens and like them. It feels like 80% of riders these days have stan's flows with the hub of their choice. There are lots of options.

Wider bars (maybe carbon), and probably a shorter stem to go with 'em.

·
Registered
434 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Any recommendation for sites that sell complete wheelset with 15mm thru axel + Centre lock?

Tips for wider handle bar i carbon with good grips? I have upgraded the tires and that made a big different to the bike.

·
Registered
24 Posts
I have a 2011 TX3. I have already swapped the bars, and saddle. next to go will without a doubt be the seatpost. I will upgrade the wheels if and when they break. A lighter cassette will be nice too. I would also recommend going to a 2X10 drivetrain. Thats how I run mine and love how much quieter the drivetrain is. I never use the big ring, so I shortened the chain, and will soon get a bash ring in place of the large sprocket.

·
Registered
479 Posts
I would say if your bike is stock and you want to spend some cash, start with the cockpit. I have '11 reign and from my experience the giant stock cockpit is junk. Get some wider bars, i have answer 720mm and ODI rogue grips (the best and only IMO) a 50mm stem and then a new saddle and a dropper post and get a bash gaurd. Wheels are always great because you will climb better with less effort with less weight to spin but you will blow your budget right there.
I would recommed a mid cage derailleur and shorten you chain because Giants major problem is no ISCG tabs and the chain slap is out of controle!

·
Registered
81 Posts
I'd change the wheels first, I saved almost 1.4 lbs when I switched to a set of Am Classic MTB26. Looked much better too.

While you're at it you might want to change the boat anchor 460 gram cassette, an XT or SLX should save you around 150 to 160 grams.

Then depending of what tires you have right now, you could change them to better suit your trail conditions.

If you're still not happy then you could get a lighter (and shorter?) stem, lighter (and wider?) handlebar and a lighter seatpost.

·
Registered
434 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
So, a while since I created this thread.

I have done the following upgrades
New wheels with DT240,Podium MMX rims, Ashima rotors
Giant Switch Seatback
New SLX Brakes with XTR Pads
Fox RP2

New handlebar + foam grips is on my list, but I'm also thinking of upgrading the drivetrain to SLX-10Spd but with XT-cassette for the new wheels.

What about the fork? I will use the bike for both marathon races + all mountain so I'm not sure. Longer travel would great when going down, but on races I think 140mm would be to long. So Fox Talas 120/140 is on my mind, but the price? :eekster:

Would I regret if I go for the RS Sektor 140mm, is the price different to Fox Talas worth saving for? Is it night and day?

·
Registered
479 Posts
So, a while since I created this thread.

I have done the following upgrades
New wheels with DT240,Podium MMX rims, Ashima rotors
Giant Switch Seatback
New SLX Brakes with XTR Pads
Fox RP2

New handlebar + foam grips is on my list, but I'm also thinking of upgrading the drivetrain to SLX-10Spd but with XT-cassette for the new wheels.

What about the fork? I will use the bike for both marathon races + all mountain so I'm not sure. Longer travel would great when going down, but on races I think 140mm would be to long. So Fox Talas 120/140 is on my mind, but the price? :eekster:

Would I regret if I go for the RS Sektor 140mm, is the price different to Fox Talas worth saving for? Is it night and day?
Check out x-fusion, they have great stuff and the price is nice. You can order directly from them and you save because of it. I emailed them from their contact link on their site and they answered all my questions and offered me forks at a better price then I could get online for '12s and then offered me a killer deal on a '11 close out! Bike just gave them a great review in the bible issue and I've read good things all over the interent

1 - 20 of 23 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.