Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi All -

I'm building-up a new bike for my girlfriend and have decided to upgrade her crankset from from the Shimano LX 571/Octalink set up. I figured, that there are a ton of great deals out there, so I may as well upgrade my crankset, which is the same LX hollowtech model.

I've seen some good deals on the Raceface Prodigy, Ritchey WCS, Ritchey Pro and, of course, the Shimano XT cranks. Assuming a negligable difference in price between all of these cranksets, are any or all of them worth dropping the cash and selling my LX cranks on eBay? Should I just stay with my 571 cranks until the die?

I know this is a perfect example of upgrade fever, but hell, I have a little $ to spend and I HATE the blue/grey ano LX color. Wow, am I really getting that vain with my bike? Nah...I'm just having fun...

Thanks!

:D

·
Registered
3,143 Posts
jamis_joe said:
Hi All -

I'm building-up a new bike for my girlfriend and have decided to upgrade her crankset from from the Shimano LX 571/Octalink set up. I figured, that there are a ton of great deals out there, so I may as well upgrade my crankset, which is the same LX hollowtech model.

I've seen some good deals on the Raceface Prodigy, Ritchey WCS, Ritchey Pro and, of course, the Shimano XT cranks. Assuming a negligable difference in price between all of these cranksets, are any or all of them worth dropping the cash and selling my LX cranks on eBay? Should I just stay with my 571 cranks until the die?

I know this is a perfect example of upgrade fever, but hell, I have a little $ to spend and I HATE the blue/grey ano LX color. Wow, am I really getting that vain with my bike? Nah...I'm just having fun...

Thanks!

:D
I say upgrade to the next technology, namely external bearing cranks. If you use the 20% off coupon and are a Team Performance member you can get the Deus XC for $195 or the XT M760 for $175, both those include the bottom bracket.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Ratt said:
I say upgrade to the next technology, namely external bearing cranks. If you use the 20% off coupon and are a Team Performance member you can get the Deus XC for $195 or the XT M760 for $175, both those include the bottom bracket.
Hey Ratt -

Thanks for the sound advice. I'm going to wait a little longer and upgrade to some "real" cranks. LX should work just for the rest of the season...

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.