Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
171 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My current bike is a ~2008 cannondaleF4. I know I upgraded the brakes years ago. Also seat, bars, and tires.
It's decent but it has 26" wheels.
I would like to upgrade to a new bike in the future (if anything is out there) that is 29 or 27.5. Never ridden either so I'm not sure what to expect.
Anyway, I wasn't sure if I should upgrade something on my bike to make it a little newer tech since alot has changed since 08.
I may have had this bike for a long time but I still consider myself a beginner. After browsing some youtube videos I see some newer bikes have one front sprocket????
And I also saw dropper posts. Never seen one before this week.
Just makes me wonder what else I am missing.

So, I guess I could add a dropper post?? But since I have the gear shifter on the left side of the bar, not sure how I would add the control?
Any other thoughts on newer tech upgrades?

·
Registered
992 Posts
I was in the same boat last yr after returning to MTB after 15yrs.
I upgraded my old 26'er tires which IMO made a huge difference.
I wouldn't invest too much more into the bike If you're going to upgrade.
You've got by this long so I'd save the Dropper Post and 1X12 for when you get a new bike.

·
Registered
943 Posts
My current bike is a ~2008 cannondaleF4. I know I upgraded the brakes years ago. Also seat, bars, and tires.
It's decent but it has 26" wheels.
I would like to upgrade to a new bike in the future (if anything is out there) that is 29 or 27.5. Never ridden either so I'm not sure what to expect.
Anyway, I wasn't sure if I should upgrade something on my bike to make it a little newer tech since alot has changed since 08.
I may have had this bike for a long time but I still consider myself a beginner. After browsing some youtube videos I see some newer bikes have one front sprocket????
And I also saw dropper posts. Never seen one before this week.
Just makes me wonder what else I am missing.

So, I guess I could add a dropper post?? But since I have the gear shifter on the left side of the bar, not sure how I would add the control?
Any other thoughts on newer tech upgrades?
How much money do you need to update your Cannondale, and how much would you spend on a new bike? Obviously anyone would rather have a new bike than update one from 2008, but you don't need to waste money. If the Cannondale does what you want it to, is capable, and doesn't cost too much to repair, that might be the better option. As you eluded to though, you don't know what you're missing, and a new bike, with modern geometry and newer components, you might enjoy riding more, or maybe you'll become less of a beginner cause the new bike is able to handle trails the old one couldn't.

·
Advanced Slacker
15,778 Posts
To sort of echo what was said above, it really depends on how much you would be spending on a new bike, versus how much you would spend to upgrade this bike, and taking into consideration how long it will be until you can afford a new bike (or when such a bike even becomes available with today’s shortages).

The one thing I would definitely upgrade of you keep this bike is add a dropper post if your frame will take one. That in and of itself is the single biggest game changer in the last two decades IMO.

Other than that, I would focus my money on keeping the bike in tiptop condition. One thing I would strongly recommend on a 13 year-old bike - if it has never been done before - is a full servicing (even rebuilt if needed) of the fork and shock.

If the goal is to keep riding you current bike for a year of so until you get something better, I would not bother with a 1x conversion unless you really hate the front derailleur, or if your chain cassette and rings are all due for replacement. Anyway, that's up to you, but I found the switch to be a small gain, but not the game changer that so many other people seem to think it is. The main benefit of 1x is what it has allowed in terms of full suspension design. And that is a moot point for your bike. But if it makes it easier to love your bike for a little while longer while you wait to buy something new... go for it.

·
Registered
171 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thanks all.
If I upgraded any components all I have now is ~3-400. I'd like a dropper tube but no idea if my seat post size would accommodate and again, I have no idea how to mount a trigger mechanism.

Hopefully in ~6 months I will have some extra $ for a new bike. But alot can happen in that time so who knows.

·
Advanced Slacker
15,778 Posts
Thanks all.
If I upgraded any components all I have now is ~3-400. I'd like a dropper tube but no idea if my seat post size would accommodate and again, I have no idea how to mount a trigger mechanism.

Hopefully in ~6 months I will have some extra $ for a new bike. But alot can happen in that time so who knows.
You can still mount a dropper lever even with shifters on both sides. I started running droppers in 2005, and for the next 13 years (until I went 1x) and countless bikes, I always managed to find a place for it on my bars with two shifters.

As far as dropper post size: you need to know your seat post size, how much seat post you have showing above your seat post collar, and how far your post can be inserted into your frame til it hits something. Then go over to the "Dropper Post" board and ask.

If you are really only six months away from buying a new bike, then I would keep investments here to a minimum (you can nix the shock/fork rebuild I mentioned unless you do the work yourself) But I would still not rule out a dropper. You can probably get a PNW dropper that will work for $200. IMO it is worth $200 for 6 months of the benefits of a dropper. And many droppers are in fact transferable from one bike to another. And if the bike you buy already comes with one you can always sell this one.

·
Registered
1,177 Posts
Unless you can find used, not worth it. IMO.

but, if you insist to go for it, KS Lev makes an external dropper. The trigger goes between the grip and brake because it looks like this:

if you don't mind drilling, you can get a 125mm post from crank bros. Otherwise, it's 100mm.

I just sold a dropper with the above style remote for a song, so deals are out there if you look.

but $300 is 10% of a really good new bike, so there's that…

·
Registered
2,867 Posts
My buddy still rides my '06 Stumpjumper, that I gave him after his '04 Trek cracked. He just has no interest in spending money on a new bike, with 2 kids, etc. It was just collecting dust for me. Still has just as much fun as the rest of us, with minimal invested in keeping it going.

New bikes are definitely advanced, but is it worth the cost vs a few upgrades? only you can answer that. But if you really are wanting a new bike, then just save up for that and don't invest in your old bike.

·
Registered
171 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Forgot to mention I had my LBS rebuild my front shock several years ago. And with my limited riding over that time, it still seems fine.

I checked and my seat post is 31.6. I'll have to measure the other stuff this week.

·
Registered
66 Posts
I went from an old rim brakes GF Malin to making a fairly modern 29er from a 2011 RIP 9 frame that I rode until this year. I built a very modern Banshee Titan and the thing feels awesome. The advances in geometry and components is unreal. I guarantee even a cheap used 29er that is fairly new would blow you away.

·
furker
915 Posts
Are you planning on keeping your old bike as a backup, or will you be selling it when you get the new bike?

If you are planning on selling, I wouldn't upgrade anything. If you are planning on keeping it as a backup, then I'd fix only what is necessary. No point in putting a dropper on that bike.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.