Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

· Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 1999 element that I bought new and have only had to replace the shifters and rear derailleur due to breakage, and replaced suspension bushings twice due to wear. I rebuilt my rear fox float once a couple of years ago, but now my front fork is leaking and I need to replace my cables and housings and my rear hub needs replacing.

How long should I expect the frame to last? I probably put 400-500 miles a year on the bike and all xc. I dont see any visible cracking.

Would it be worth pouring money into this bike or just pony the cash for a new one? I have tried out the ETSX and the 2006 element an it feels like a big improvement over my current one.

Let me know your thoughts. Thanks.

· Looking for Adventure
1,060 Posts
I have a 2000 Instinct (now called Element) and think it makes a pretty good trail bike. However, when you get stronger and/or you start racing, you will find the bike limits your ability.

The rear triangle and linkage flexes badly compared to todays standards, and the rear bobbing is also sub standard. Frustrated, I bought a Titus RacerX and noticed a world of improvement. Climbing speed, standing sprints, holding a line, and smoother suspension are just a few noticeable improvements.
Trouble is the better full suspenson bikes are now 2-3 times more expensive now.

· Registered
99 Posts
Those Elements and Instincts were/are pretty good bikes(I have their little brother,the Spice)and Rocky still uses the 3D link suspension,so if it's not broke...you know the rest.I think it's a frame worth putting money into,but since you had it from new,it is time for something new.Besides,nothing makes you want to ride more than a new bike.I'm liking the ETSX's myself.

· ups and downs
15,321 Posts
I used to have a 2000 Instinct and it was not bad, a bit too flexy in the tail and it would have benefited from a platform shock.

I did get a chance to test ride a 2007 Element at Mont Sainte Anne a couple of weeks ago and it is a very different critter from the old Instinct. It is much more solid in the rear so sprints much better, and it works better for climbing. You can adjust how squishy the rear feels while climbing by shifting your weight more forward on the saddle to stiffen it up, or sliding back a couple of inches to make it softer.

· Registered
18 Posts
If you decide to upgrade, have your rear shock pushed. I have a 2002 Element, I sent the shock to push (actualy TFTuning in the UK) and it made a HUGE improvement. More plush, More travel AND way less bob. It only bobs a little bit when hammering standing. I can't compare to the newer Elements.

· Registered
122 Posts
Emilio said:
If you decide to upgrade, have your rear shock pushed. I have a 2002 Element, I sent the shock to push (actualy TFTuning in the UK) and it made a HUGE improvement. More plush, More travel AND way less bob. It only bobs a little bit when hammering standing. I can't compare to the newer Elements.
Wow, good to know. I'll PUSH mine if I keep my '01 Element.

I will say, the big reason I'd sell my Element Race is for a new one with the red/white paintjob and the maple leaf. Saw one in the RM showroom and drooled all over it.

I'd probably also go for an ETSX, but haven't ridden one.

· Registered
489 Posts
Emilio said:
Am I missing something about the Push upgrade? I had my Fox R rear shock Pushed two years ago for my 2001 Element. Yeah I immediately noticed no bob - but this was because the shock was not rebounding, the rebound damping was so high it wouldn't bounce out of its pedal compression. The bike felt dead climbing, very heavy feeling. I've had to run the rebound damping way on the other extreme to make this thing climb at all.

Not very happy with the Push tuning. Maybe I haven't figured out the sweet spot yet? I believe this bike used to climb much better before the shock was overhauled - then again, that was two years ago and without a kid I was in my best biking shape, so that certainly had something to do with it.

· Registered
18 Posts
Not my experience; the rebound felt unchanged and the compression was changed in a good way.
Have you contacted Push about this? They are only human, they can make errors.
A couple of weeks after I received my shock from TFtuning, I felt a strange klunk in my suspension action like worn bushings. The bushings were checked OK, the clunk clearly came from my shock.
Talked to TFtuning, sent it back and received it repaired a week later at no charge at all, with apologies. They even included a heavy duty kit for only 10 pounds (the AL reducers wear fast).

· Registered
489 Posts
Never contacted them, I made the mistake of having the service done in the Fall, and not getting enough time in the saddle to determine if I was satisfied with the change. I remember on the first ride, which was actually a road ride early morning, I thought "wow no bob!" Then after the ride I had this nagging feeling that it required a lot more effort to maintain any speed.

· ups and downs
15,321 Posts
If the shock wouldn't rebound from the compressed position that sounds like the standard Fox "stuck down" problem. That would slacken the head angle quite a bit. That's as much a Fox problem as a PUSH problem. My PUSH'd ETSX shock developed that problem but they fixed it under warranty.

· Registered
553 Posts
I'd be skeptical about sinking too much cash into it at this point particularly if you've replaced the bushings twice. As they wear, they can cause the metal to wear a tiny bit as well over time and leave the opening slightly larger than it should be. My advice; go have a look at a new Element. Not on the web site, but in a shop. What a thing of beauty. If you afford it, that 50 and the 70 are gorgeous paint schemes when you see them in the shop.

As stated earlier ....... nothing makes you want to ride like a new bike!

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.