Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
I'm just messing with you
Joined
·
5,423 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just thinking out loud here ... but if a fellow were to get a wild hair over the winter, and decide to have disc brakes added to a Phoenix frame, who would you recommend?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
7,696 Posts
there are a few steel Phoenix frames with disc mounts... a few came that way from Steve and I'm sure he would be happy to add one to yours.

Photobucket
 

·
I'm just messing with you
Joined
·
5,423 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
bushpig said:
I'd recommend selling the Phoenix and buying a new bike.
can't replace it for what it'd sell for
 

·
I'm just messing with you
Joined
·
5,423 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Fillet-brazed said:
there are a few steel Phoenix frames with disc mounts... a few came that way from Steve and I'm sure he would be happy to add one to yours.
I looked at SP's site but there was no mention of doing mods, only custom Ti frames.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,734 Posts
anyone know how much his current ti frames go for new?
(I don't imagine I could afford one.....but curious minds want to know)
 

·
Mtn Biker Machinist
Joined
·
1,298 Posts
A Potts Ti frame can't be cheap...,

but that man is a craftsman in the truest sense of the word. I could spend hours in his shop, just picking his brain and drooling over his equipment.

http://stevepottsbikes.com/index.php

http://stevepottsbicycles.blogspot.com/

His blog shows repair work he is doing on a production ti frame, and I bet he would be more than happy to add a disc tab to a Phoenix frame, might as well ask.

Seems like a super nice guy, just watched Klunkerz, and it had some footage of him in his shop.:thumbsup: Great movie, BTW, and supplies are limited, so pick up a copy if you haven't yet!

frog
 

·
defender of bad taste
Joined
·
1,600 Posts
yo-Nate-y said:
anyone know how much his current ti frames go for new?
(I don't imagine I could afford one.....but curious minds want to know)
I second that, a Ti SP frame is a (probably impossible) dream of mine, but why the secrecy about the price - obviously these are custom frames and different requirements may alter the price a little, but a ballpark figure would at least give me something to aim for.

Or is it a case of "if you have to ask, you can't afford it" ?

(apologies to wv_bob for participating in the thread hijack)
 

·
I'm just messing with you
Joined
·
5,423 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
1 cog frog said:
might as well ask.
FYI, just sent an email to get an estimate. I figure paint will cost as much as the welding work, but it could use a fresh coat with or without the frame mod.
 

·
VRC Hound
Joined
·
4,275 Posts
wv_bob said:
FYI, just sent an email to get an estimate. I figure paint will cost as much as the welding work, but it could use a fresh coat with or without the frame mod.
I'm guessing once you are done with the repair, paint, decals, you will be out $6-800. Plus you will lose the time that you are waiting. You will also not be able to recoup a cent of that if you resell. Add that money to what you would get for selling your frame and I am sure you can get a very nice bike/frame on eBay or the MTBR classifieds. I see them all the time.
 

·
I'm just messing with you
Joined
·
5,423 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
bushpig said:
I'm guessing once you are done with the repair, paint, decals, you will be out $6-800. Plus you will lose the time that you are waiting. You will also not be able to recoup a cent of that if you resell. Add that money to what you would get for selling your frame and I am sure you can get a very nice bike/frame on eBay or the MTBR classifieds. I see them all the time.
There's nothing that could replace my Phoenix. The only way it's leaving my hands is if I'm dead, dying, or being evicted. :)

My frame's worth what, about another $6-800? So in the scenario you propose, I'd have at best $1600 bucks that'll just be spent, and my Phoenix will be gone. Contrast that vs having a Phoenix with new paint and disc brakes. No brainer to me. :thumbsup:
 

·
I'm just messing with you
Joined
·
5,423 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 · (Edited)
Finally someone asks :)

I've always had problems with setting up the rim brakes on the frame. With both XT and LX V-brakes, the setup is such that to get sufficient clearance on the rim, I have to back the cable tension off to where the calipers are out of the range of the return spring. The result is, the brakes get kind of "stuck" on because they don't return fully. (yes, cables and housings are new)

I noticed that again this weekend, and since the bike needs a new coat of paint and decals, I thought why not kill two birds with one stone, move to disc brakes and get the cosmetics refreshed - not to mention checking out the condition of the frame in the process.
 
1 - 15 of 15 Posts
Top