Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
274 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys,

I thought I'd pass along some new (and usefull to some) information pertaining to the owner's manual. Intense is currently in the process of updating their owners manual to include a bit more information for the Spider and 5.5. Here's a copy of the text revision that is being printed as I type this:

The Spider XVP is a cross country race specific design. It is not meant as a freeride or hucking bike. Warranty will be voided if used as a freeride style bike. Maximum recommended rider weight is 220 lbs.

The 5.5 EVP is an "all mountain trail" design. It is intended for aggressive trail riding. It is not intended as a freeride or hucking bike. Maximum recommended rider weight is 220 lbs

Spider RECOMMENDED FORK:

Optimum fork length is 80mm travel. All specifications represented in the catalog are based on an 80mm setup. Maximum fork length is 100mm. Use of forks longer than 100mm is not recommended and will void the warranty

5.5 EVP RECOMMENDED FORK:

Optimum fork length is 130mm travel. All specifications represented in the catalog are based on an 130mm setup. Minimum fork length is 100mm. Use of forks longer than 130mm is not recommended and will void the warranty

SHOCK SET UP:

Please see the shock manual supplied with your frame.

Recommended sag: A good starting point would be to set air pressure at your body weight minus 20 Lbs. This should set the sag at about 30% of the total stroke of the shock. This should give you the correct 3/8? ? ?? of sag at the shock shaft.

Caution: You will damage your bike and your shock if you under spring your shock or run your air pressure too low. If you bottom out the shock on a consistent basis you are under sprung and will damage the shock and the frame. INTENSE is NOT RESPONSIBLE for damage to the shock.

ADJUSTMENTS:

1. REAR TRAVEL:

The Spider XVP has 4" of rear travel and is not adjustable.

The 5.5 EVP has 5.5" of rear travel and is not adjustable.

Note: Be aware that extreme low seat-height can cause some tire-to-seat contact.

2. WHEELBASE:

The Spider XVP and 5.5 EVP does not have adjustable wheelbase.

·
Old school BMXer
2,695 Posts
E, as you remember, recommending a 130mm-travel fork is to achieve proper geometry is still too vague. As I learned with my SLX (and you did too), there are a lot of variation in fork heights for 130mm-travel forks. To do their customers justice, Intense should spec an axle-to-crown dimension range. For example, the Z1 is more than 20mm taller than most 130mm-travel forks, and this greatly affects the bike's handling.

They really do need a good technical writer...... :D :p :cool:

·
Registered
274 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Blaster1200 said:
E, as you remember, recommending a 130mm-travel fork is to achieve proper geometry is still too vague. As I learned with my SLX (and you did too), there are a lot of variation in fork heights for 130mm-travel forks. To do their customers justice, Intense should spec an axle-to-crown dimension range. For example, the Z1 is more than 20mm taller than most 130mm-travel forks, and this greatly affects the bike's handling.

They really do need a good technical writer...... :D :p :cool:
Very true. They should state somewhere what fork they used to base their specs on (Manitou Minute Two 130mm) and that use of different forks with different axle-to-crown lengths can alter the geometry of the HT angle.

·
Old school BMXer
2,695 Posts
On a side note, I finished that ride last night...
Best ever! :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D

We may do Whiting tomorrow sometime.

·
Registered
4,198 Posts
Will a full manual be online?

:cool: Just like to know if I'll be able to download the 5point5 manual from the Intense website and when do you think it will be available?

:eek: I'm also a bit concerned with the text that Eric has posted. I've been looking foreword to trying a NIXON fork when it becomes available. However, according to the text I could not use one, without voiding the warrenty as it is I believe 145mm.

Ronnie.

·
Registered
2,850 Posts
Ronnie said:
:cool: Just like to know if I'll be able to download the 5point5 manual from the Intense website and when do you think it will be available?

:eek: I'm also a bit concerned with the text that Eric has posted. I've been looking foreword to trying a NIXON fork when it becomes available. However, according to the text I could not use one, without voiding the warrenty as it is I believe 145mm.

Ronnie.
The Nixon has adjustable travel so you can run it at 130mm. What I agree they don't address is the axel to crown issue. The Z1 for example is a 130mm fork but according to Intense it will not void the warranty. However the Axel to crown distance of a Z1 is about that of a 150mm fork so it *should* void the warranty.

·
Registered
4,198 Posts
Yeh, right! I can just see it trying to convince Intense when the frame brakes:

" I never ran it at more than 130mm. travell, I promise!" :eek:

Besides from what I understand, there is actually no way of setting the Nixon to any fixed position. It is a more of a do it by feel adjustment. I may be able to measure it to 130mm. before going out on a ride but after shortening it, the first time you un-weight the front wheel, it will go to full extention.

Ronnie.

·
Registered
2,850 Posts
Ronnie said:
Yeh, right! I can just see it trying to convince Intense when the frame brakes:

" I never ran it at more than 130mm. travell, I promise!" :eek:

Besides from what I understand, there is actually no way of setting the Nixon to any fixed position. It is a more of a do it by feel adjustment. I may be able to measure it to 130mm. before going out on a ride but after shortening it, the first time you un-weight the front wheel, it will go to full extention.

Ronnie.
Its unlikely it will break if you run it at more than 130mm. After all the headtube on the 5.5 is pretty darn well reinforced with that huge gusset. Thats what all riders using Z1's are effectively doing. Intense just doing some CYA. Riding an adjustable fork will not void the warranty. Riding a TALAS or Psylo on a Spider for example will not void the warranty. Just run it at the correct travel.
Un-weighing the front wheel will not cause an adjustable fork to go to full extension unless you set the travel adjuster to do so. You're not using sag to adjust travel here! Just don't set the TA all the way out. You will able to know how much travel you have by the knob/lever position as with any other fork.

·
Registered
274 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Ronnie said:
Just like to know if I'll be able to download the 5point5 manual from the Intense website and when do you think it will be available?
I doubt that the manual will be available online anytime soon. However, I should be getting a copy soon and will be happy to scan it and sent it to anyone wanting a copy.

·
Registered
4,198 Posts
Hecubus said:
Its unlikely it will break if you run it at more than 130mm. After all the headtube on the 5.5 is pretty darn well reinforced with that huge gusset. Thats what all riders using Z1's are effectively doing. Intense just doing some CYA.
I wasn't being literal when I said, "break the frame". I don't expect it will. On the other hand I live in Switzerland and very often these guys can't think "out of the box". I can just imagine taking the bike in with an "illegal" fork for a warrenty claim! I agree with you that Intense should limit the fork based on axel to crown height.

Hecubus said:
Riding an adjustable fork will not void the warranty. Riding a TALAS or Psylo on a Spider for example will not void the warranty. Just run it at the correct travel..
I'd like that in writting from Intense!

Hecubus said:
Un-weighing the front wheel will not cause an adjustable fork to go to full extension unless you set the travel adjuster to do so. You're not using sag to adjust travel here! Just don't set the TA all the way out. You will able to know how much travel you have by the knob/lever position as with any other fork.
I've never seen a Nixon in the flesh but from what I've read, you push down on the bars and at the same time the little saxophone lever on the handlebar and the travell reduces. When you want to extend it, push the lever and un-weight it. It does not appear to be like the TALAS where each click on a dial is a few mm. It seems to be hit and miss, or by feel, as in thats how I feel I'd like it to be.

Ronnie.

·
Registered
4,198 Posts
E-man said:
I doubt that the manual will be available online anytime soon. However, I should be getting a copy soon and will be happy to scan it and sent it to anyone wanting a copy.
Thanks Eric, if it's not to long I'd appreciate it. Let me know.

·
Old school BMXer
2,695 Posts
E-man said:
That's too bad that accessing the info won't be easy for everyone to obtain. That's what is nice about companies that offer this service: While working at home, I can easily check online how to do a given procedure (like Marrzocchi).

I doubt it is because they can't afford the web space. Convince them that the info should be available to all of their customers on-line, and not just through the bro system. Come on Eric, you can convince them! (oh yeah, and emphasize the importance of the fork axle-to-crown height.

Oh yeah, so long as we're talking about doing the right thing, for indicating bottom bracket height, in addition to fork length, they should specify rim and tire size (this will vary the bb height by up to 1/2".

·
Registered
95 Posts
This is a little disheartening...

I am in the 215-220 lb. range. While I don't plan on going over 220 who knows for sure. It would have been nice to know about this before buying the bike. I don't know if it would have changed my mind or not. I am not very hard on bikes, my first GT I rode for 12 years and my Trek STP went for 3 yrs with no problems. I am guessing if the super light carbon fiber of that Trek frame survived this Intense should be fine. Weight limits still make me nervous though.

Craig
the Gorge

·
Registered
2,850 Posts
Ronnie said:
I've never seen a Nixon in the flesh but from what I've read, you push down on the bars and at the same time the little saxophone lever on the handlebar and the travell reduces. When you want to extend it, push the lever and un-weight it. It does not appear to be like the TALAS where each click on a dial is a few mm. It seems to be hit and miss, or by feel, as in thats how I feel I'd like it to be.

Ronnie.
Don't worry about that. Thats how all travel adjustable forks tend to work. All current manitou adjustable forks will require you to push down to change the travel. When you reduce it you need to push down to lock it into the lower setting and when you extended the travel you need to push down and then unweigh it to release it from the shorter setting. ALL adjustable travel forks require you to unweigh them for them to extend the travel and you also need to push down on them to reduce it, including the talas. The travel is never set by feel, you need to count the knob turns or movement range of the adjustment lever.

·
Old school BMXer
2,695 Posts
spaeth said:
I am in the 215-220 lb. range. While I don't plan on going over 220 who knows for sure. It would have been nice to know about this before buying the bike. I don't know if it would have changed my mind or not. I am not very hard on bikes, my first GT I rode for 12 years and my Trek STP went for 3 yrs with no problems. I am guessing if the super light carbon fiber of that Trek frame survived this Intense should be fine. Weight limits still make me nervous though.

Craig
the Gorge
spaeth,
I weigh about 200#. I do ride aggressively, but I don't do much in the way of drops (only 3-5 feet with transission). I ride it cross country like a BMX bike. The only problem with weight that I see is that the frame may be a little flexy under full power. However, compared to the wet potatoe chip you called a Trek (sorry, I couldn't resist - I've had a catastrophic failure of a carbon frame - GT STS, and those OCLV frames downright scare the hell out of me), you may not even notice it on the 5.5. I only really notice it when I go from my hard-tail singlespeed to my 5.5. Ironically, the 5.5 feels like it flexes less than my burlier SLX (although the Marzocchi Z1 feels a lot stiffer on the SLX compared to my Minute 2 on the 5.5).

The weight limits are simply CYA for Intense.

·
Registered
4,198 Posts
Hecubus said:
The travel is never set by feel, you need to count the knob turns or movement range of the adjustment lever.
The point is the Nixon does not have a wind down knob, only the handle bar doohickey to open a valve. You have no direct controll of where the travell adjustment stops while you are riding, (on the fly adjustment) other than what feels like the correct hight. In other words by feel.

Ronnie.

·
Registered
2,850 Posts
Its the same thing. Instead of counting turns just mark how far the lever should go to get 5" of travel. I'm sure there will be some way of indicating travel anyway. It would be very bad not to include this since many riders would be very pised if they had to start measuring the stactions to figure it out. Besides, on the 5.5 you really should even need to adjust the travel. Just set it at 130mm once and don't change it.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts