Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 50 Posts

·
Registered
1,776 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Saw this today: https://www.bikeradar.com/news/specialized-fuse-2020/

No carbon frame. Longer, slacker, reduced offset. Sliding rear dropout.
Comes with 29x2.6. Seems like they're positioning the fuse as a budget "fun" bike.

I'll keep my old model Fuse Carbon which is over-forked to 130mm and running 29x2.6 already... could always size up if I wanted it much longer.

Also updated Butcher + Purgatory tires look interesting.

Purgatory looks much nicer for braking. Never loved the old ones. Casings are changed too:

"With these updated tyres also comes two new casings: Grid Trail and Control.

Grid Trail falls in as the second toughest casing in Specialized's tyre lineup and is claimed to offer 29 percent more pinch-flat protection and 30 percent more puncture resistance than the standard Grid version.

The casing itself sees more sidewall support, said to improve handling at lower pressure, and the knobbies are made with a stickier Gription T7 compound for increased traction. The Grid Trail casing will be available on the Butcher, Eliminator, Hillbilly and Slaughter.

On the other side of the spectrum is the Control casing, which sits just below the lightweight S-Works XC Race. This casing is for cross-country riders who are finding themselves in increasingly rowdy terrain using lower tyre pressure and wide rims.

According to Specialized, the Control casing offers a 29 percent increase in flat protection and uses a fast rolling Gription T5 tread compound for the centre and shoulder blocks. The Renegade, Fast Trak, Ground Control, Purgatory and Butcher will all come in a Control casing option."

·
Registered
225 Posts
Saw this today: https://www.bikeradar.com/news/specialized-fuse-2020/

"With these updated tyres also comes two new casings: Grid Trail and Control.

Grid Trail falls in as the second toughest casing in Specialized's tyre lineup and is claimed to offer 29 percent more pinch-flat protection and 30 percent more puncture resistance than the standard Grid version.

The casing itself sees more sidewall support, said to improve handling at lower pressure, and the knobbies are made with a stickier Gription T7 compound for increased traction. The Grid Trail casing will be available on the Butcher, Eliminator, Hillbilly and Slaughter.

."
Im excited about a Butcher G/T on the front and an Eliminator Blck Dmnd rear setup. I had a feeling new tires were coming soon after the big buy one get one 50% off sale....

·
Registered
1,035 Posts
I'm pretty pumped on this new frame honestly. I am already thinking of ordering the frame only option and building it up. I could use a longer travel hardtail for some fun.
My rigid SS and Hardtail xc race bike are all i use anymore. Might need to sell the road bike.

·
Registered
635 Posts
Nice changes in geometry. Might be good to get the frame and build up with GX Eagle or XT and some lighter wheels.

Here's more info:
https://singletrackworld.com/2019/06/specialized-announces-all-new-fuse-trail-hardtail-for-2020/

https://singletrackworld.com/2019/06/review-2020-specialized-fuse-comp-29/
Yeah, I like the much lower standover height.
I prefer the previous/current head tube angle of 67.5, over the new 66.5 but the new has smaller fork offset so net effect should be same steering quickness(?).

·
Registered
553 Posts
Kind of confused on the Specialized tire hierarchy.

Does it now go

S-Works
Control
2Bliss
Grid
Grid Trail
BLCK DMND
DH

Going from lightest, thinnest, and harder, less grippy, faster rolling, longer lasting rubber to heavier, thicker, softer, gripper, slow rolling faster wearing rubber?

Sounds like the grid trail is now like the old grid from a few years ago and the 2Bliss is like the old Control.

New Purgatory tire looks interesting. I'll have to check that out when it is available aftermarket.

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,776 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Kind of confused on the Specialized tire hierarchy.

Does it now go

S-Works
Control
2Bliss
Grid
Grid Trail
BLCK DMND
DH
No I think it's

S-Works
Control (between old control and Grid)
Grid Trail (slightly beefier than old Grid)
Blck DMND
DH

I never had an issue with Grid casings, in fact sometimes ran Control on front tires with higher pressures on my Fuse bike. But I'm in the PNW with no sharp rocks.

·
Registered
1,278 Posts
It looks nice but $800 seems insane for an alloy frame. I mean you could get any Ragley, Taiwan made steel Chromag, Cotic, Pace Cycles, Kona Honzo steel, Nukeproof Scout, Commencal, NS Bikes Eccentric, Pipedream Moxie, Dartmoor hardtails, etc for either the same price (for some of the steel frames) or a lot less (for a few of the steels and all the alloy frames).

Plus a comparatively short reach and a stupid sized seat post.

·
Registered
635 Posts
It looks nice but $800 seems insane for an alloy frame. I mean you could get any Ragley, Taiwan made steel Chromag, Cotic, Pace Cycles, Kona Honzo steel, Nukeproof Scout, Commencal, NS Bikes Eccentric, Pipedream Moxie, Dartmoor hardtails, etc for either the same price (for some of the steel frames) or a lot less (for a few of the steels and all the alloy frames).

Yeah, that seat post size. I thought that was typo first couple times I read. I guess they did that for strength given the big top tube slope. In any case, not a fan of non-standard sizes, i.e., hassles down the road.

·
Registered
553 Posts

Were you referring to the diameter or drop of the seat post?

34.9mm seat post is brilliant, however only a 120mm drop in the medium is disappointing.

·
Registered
1,278 Posts
Were you referring to the diameter or drop of the seat post?

34.9mm seat post is brilliant, however only a 120mm drop in the medium is disappointing.

Both. How is 34.9mm brilliant? Seems like just limiting options for no reason.

·
Registered
553 Posts
Both. How is 34.9mm brilliant? Seems like just limiting options for no reason.
It doesn't limit options.

If you want to run a smaller diameter post you can with shims.

34.9 does a few things. It allows for a stiffer seat post and gives engineers more room to work when designing the internals. Both of these things make it possible to create a better performing and more reliable dropper post especially in the longer drop lengths.

Going forward I would expect the size to gain more and more popularity among frame manufacturers.

·
Registered
553 Posts
Do you want a stiffer seat tube on an aluminum hardtail? Cause I don't.
I said seat post, i.e. dropper post, not seat tube.

A dropper post that is stiffer (less flex in the stanchion and at the stanchion-lower interface) is going to be more reliable, have better performance, and allow better power transfer to the drivetrain.

I do agree that the seat tube is going to be less compliant , but there are ways to mitigate this. More compliant stays, 29 inch wheels, higher volume tires, tire pressure, tire inserts, tubeless set up, wheels built with compliance in mind (rims, spokes, lacing pattern), saddle, etc

·
Titanium Junkie
Why Cycles S7, Specialized Levo
1,710 Posts
I put a 34.9 dropper on my 2018 Carbon Fuse (b/c the POS Tranz-X 100mm 30.9 dropper sucked) and I couldn't be happier. Options are limited, and they are not cheap, but I don't think its a bad move on their part.

·
Titanium Junkie
Why Cycles S7, Specialized Levo
1,710 Posts
How did you install it? Did it slide right in, or what adapter did you need?
I pulled out the shim and slid the post in. Originally, these bikes were supposed to ship with a 34.9 post but Specialized couldn't pull it off, so they put a shim in them and went with 30.9. The actual seat tube diameter is 34.9, confirmed with them.

·
Registered
635 Posts
I pulled out the shim and slid the post in. Originally, these bikes were supposed to ship with a 34.9 post but Specialized couldn't pull it off, so they put a shim in them and went with 30.9. The actual seat tube diameter is 34.9, confirmed with them.
Very nice!

Some bike mfrs will say a shim negates warranty, which is understandable since mfr can't control what types of shim a user users.

Of course, factory installed Spesh shim would be ok with Spesh :)

1 - 20 of 50 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.