Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
3,669 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
a while ago some or most ppl will remember that i wanted to work in a bike shop...and asked what i would have to know and how much skills i would need etc...

well...i just finished emailing my first bike shop (they would be my first preference) and was thinking maby i could use this thread and feeback from u guys to help me get a job...

ive never applyed for a job before (i work as a kitchen hand\chef at a restaurant but i was handed this job on a silver platter) and was wondering if u guys could tell what u think of the email i sent em etc...

here it is... :(

hi...to all the guys at VIC...

i havent had much luck with selling my current bike (GT ruckus 2.0 for 2200)...therefore i havent been into the shop at all recently to talk much about getting a new bike...for i dont wanna be a nusance or waste of ur time...

anyway...im finishing school next year...and was looking into seriously expanding my knowledge and involement in the world ot MTBing...and was wondering if maby you guys could or might consider taking me on as a part time employee (is there such a thing as a bike shop apprencite) for next year...

im overly enthusiastic about bikes and more than willing to learn...i have very minimal mechanic skills but have been a forum junkee (on MTBR.com under the current name BJ- and holder of 689 posts) since the start of the year and it has expanded my knowledge dramaticly...im familiar with and understand frame designs such as the new DW design that aussie ripping iron horse team members sam hill and bryan atkinson are running...and how the rear triangle and linkage of the frame is so efficient at reducing force and pressure thats put on the rear shock that it can run a 200 pound spring...i know about forks and what cartridges are good and not etc. that Jnr-Ts only have 1 SSV cartridge this year that only provides preload adjustment much like the current boxxer race forks an due to this fact they dont take big hits well and at high speeds feel like butter...i know the spec of pretty much every remotly well know manufacturer bike that has to do with FR or DH and pretty much all the componentry there is...but i dont want to ramble on about stuff like this instead...i just ask that if there is or might be a spot for a part time worker even i simply clean the floor and get u guys lunch...but get to ride the DEMO9 pro to go and get it :)...then i would be more than happy to talk to u guysabout it also i would be so stoked it would be crazy...i just would really like to work in a bike shop next year (especially this one coz i plan on buying my bike from u and the ppl at VIC are all really nice) and so i can expand my knowledge and skills with maintaining bikes etc. and enjoy doing so...

also the new website is much better and the survey thingie was funny...anyway ill leave u guys to it and i look forward to getting some feedback on the matter...

catch BJORN...

the guys that work there are really kool and know me so im just hoping that...consider my proposal and secrectly dont hate me... :(

what do u think...(if i dont get a job here what should my next email be like...more formal...what should it include...what do bike shops wanna hear...)...any feedback would be really appriciated...positive plz... :(

·
Registered
270 Posts
You got the point across very well.
My only suggestion would be to use proper grammar and correct punctuation.
Fo Shizzle! Dig? ;)

·
I wanna talk to Samson!
3,303 Posts
BJ- said:
a while ago some or most ppl will remember that i wanted to work in a bike shop...and asked what i would have to know and how much skills i would need etc...

well...i just finished emailing my first bike shop (they would be my first preference) and was thinking maby i could use this thread and feeback from u guys to help me get a job...

ive never applyed for a job before (i work as a kitchen hand\chef at a restaurant but i was handed this job on a silver platter) and was wondering if u guys could tell what u think of the email i sent em etc...

here it is... :(

hi...to all the guys at VIC...

i havent had much luck with selling my current bike (GT ruckus 2.0 for 2200)...therefore i havent been into the shop at all recently to talk much about getting a new bike...for i dont wanna be a nusance or waste of ur time...

anyway...im finishing school next year...and was looking into seriously expanding my knowledge and involement in the world ot MTBing...and was wondering if maby you guys could or might consider taking me on as a part time employee (is there such a thing as a bike shop apprencite) for next year...

im overly enthusiastic about bikes and more than willing to learn...i have very minimal mechanic skills but have been a forum junkee (on MTBR.com under the current name BJ- and holder of 689 posts) since the start of the year and it has expanded my knowledge dramaticly...im familiar with and understand frame designs such as the new DW design that aussie ripping iron horse team members sam hill and bryan atkinson are running...and how the rear triangle and linkage of the frame is so efficient at reducing force and pressure thats put on the rear shock that it can run a 200 pound spring...i know about forks and what cartridges are good and not etc. that Jnr-Ts only have 1 SSV cartridge this year that only provides preload adjustment much like the current boxxer race forks an due to this fact they dont take big hits well and at high speeds feel like butter...i know the spec of pretty much every remotly well know manufacturer bike that has to do with FR or DH and pretty much all the componentry there is...but i dont want to ramble on about stuff like this instead...i just ask that if there is or might be a spot for a part time worker even i simply clean the floor and get u guys lunch...but get to ride the DEMO9 pro to go and get it :)...then i would be more than happy to talk to u guysabout it also i would be so stoked it would be crazy...i just would really like to work in a bike shop next year (especially this one coz i plan on buying my bike from u and the ppl at VIC are all really nice) and so i can expand my knowledge and skills with maintaining bikes etc. and enjoy doing so...

also the new website is much better and the survey thingie was funny...anyway ill leave u guys to it and i look forward to getting some feedback on the matter...

catch BJORN...

the guys that work there are really kool and know me so im just hoping that...consider my proposal and secrectly dont hate me... :(

what do u think...(if i dont get a job here what should my next email be like...more formal...what should it include...what do bike shops wanna hear...)...any feedback would be really appriciated...positive plz... :(
send you mom in there for a few hours and you'll definatly get a job. :D :D

·
Registered
3,669 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
ahahahahhahahahahahahahahahhahahahaha...maby ill get a new bike to...:D

u think i did soap...awesome...so all i need to do now is to learn to spell...:D

thats gives me a lil more confidence...:D

thanks so far...:D

·
Registered
270 Posts
BJ- said:
ahahahahhahahahahahahahahahhahahahaha...maby ill get a new bike to...:D

u think i did soap...awesome...so all i need to do now is to learn to spell...:D

thats gives me a lil more confidence...:D

thanks so far...:D
Just my $.02...
You deffinately got your point across, but all your 'slang' and your 'wording' makes you seem, (how can I cay this and be polite), ...young. :rolleyes:

It's one thing to do it here on MTBR with your cyber friends, it's all good. Hell, I do it myself. :D But put yourself in a more professional enviroment and in their shoes, they will look at that as immature and a NOT-likely canidate for their staff.

Don't take this the wrong way, just trying to lend a hand and some support. ;)
Good luck and keep us posted.

·
Doesnt ride Banshees
1,406 Posts
konabiker said:
send you mom in there for a few hours and you'll definatly get a job. :D :D
ROTF LMFAO!!!!!!!

Good email but i think you'd get a much better response if you went into the shop and proposed getting a job in person, over the internet wont get you very far. I dont think mentioning you wanted a job there becuase youd like to get your next bike from them was very good either lol.

·
Registered
3,669 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
ahahahha im a kid...but yeh thanks for the constructive critisicm soap...its all good i understand...

and same with u banshee...i dont have enough time to drive an hour to the shop to ask em so an email will have to do for the moment...

i think i might go in next week and talk to em about it...

but yeh thanks again so far...and i will keep u guys posted...

·
Chatham NJ
477 Posts
The overall message of what your saying is pretty good, just fix it up with spelling, grammer, puncuation(sp :p) etc

You might be much better off going in to talk to them in person, you will show yourself as much more interested if you go in person. Be sure to look semi nice, like a polo shirt.

·
Registered
3,669 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
thanks eman...i dont have a poloshirt...but how about a nice jumper....or like a kool red shirt...

·
Registered
80 Posts
over thinking it

I have managed two big shops in LA. Just go in don't e-mail them or bug the crap out of them. They might already be making fun of you. They could care less if you get a bike from them. The job might pay $7.50. If you can come in on time you are ahead of the game. Most of the people that work in shops don't know jack, thats why MTBR people hate going into shops. A smart customer does resuch before going in. Have you noticed when you ask a simple question they have to get the manager. The MTBR people are only about 10-15% of the market. Most bike sales come down to "do you like the red or blue?". If you are going to get a new bike work at the shop and get a discount. You have over thought this to much. If you get to crazy with this you will not get a job because I would be scared you would be shoping on my time and giving too much info to average customers, most come in still asking for a 10 speed. You must be cool to hang with, Just go in ask for an interview and settle down, you should get the job. A bike shop would be lucky to have someone with your interest, you must know the $200 bike as well as the $40000 bike. Good luck

·
Registered
117 Posts
I got my appreticeship at Chumba Wumba by visiting them and talking to the pres himself. After a good first impression and a short resume by e-mail I was in. That them there slanguish jess wunt doo.

·
Registered
117 Posts
I got my appreticeship at Chumba Wumba by visiting them and talking to the pres himself. After a good first impression and a short resume by e-mail I was in. That them there slanguish jess wunt doo. But at least you showed a bit of initiative....

·
Registered
343 Posts
theOtherMrT said:
I got my appreticeship at Chumba Wumba by visiting them and talking to the pres himself. After a good first impression and a short resume by e-mail I was in. That them there slanguish jess wunt doo.
:p :p :p

Well there's a pretty good chance of runningi into the Pres. since it's like a 3 person company.

Just messing with ya bro. Did you do work for the auto/commerical side or bike?

·
Registered
117 Posts
Slack said:
:p :p :p

Well there's a pretty good chance of runningi into the Pres. since it's like a 3 person company.

Just messing with ya bro. Did you do work for the auto/commerical side or bike?
Both, I am usually multi tasking: running bike/auto/misc parts on the cnc machine and then running over to ream/chase some frames...something like that.

·
Registered
3,882 Posts
Here you go, b.j.

A shop is not going to be interested in the amount of knowledge of upper end parts/designs that you have aquired. If you are young, they want a go getter. Someone who will take out the trash without complaint, clean the shop, get food, run bikes, and change flats on Huffy's with a smile on your face. If you are willing to work hard, and project that willingness to the manager, you will get the job.

Remember, it is important to listen, and not interrupt someone when they are speaking.( this is going on with the Runner at the shop I am at.)

·
Registered
3,669 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
thank you guys its really helpfull...

i realise i should have given it a bit more thought but it will do for the moment and im glad i didnt just leave it and not do anything about it...i think i will definatly go into the shop in the next couple of days and talk to them about it...im realy wanting this and looking forward to it more than anything...and hoping that if they see that and that im not some moron and someone who wants to learn etc...then theyll give me the job...

thanks again...:D

·
What's this for anyway???
145 Posts
Also take into consideration that most bike stores will want a salesman over a mechanic unless they're a really skilled mechanic, so show off your sales skills... show off your product knowledge... and I think they'll be more interested. At least this is what I've seen around Melb in the last couple years. It helps to have some experience selling products, not just fixing them.

When I got my job, I walked in with my (then current) K2 Beast decked out with fairly high level components and started explaining why I purchased those over other products. After that, I didn't really even have to ask for a job, they just practically gave it to me.

Remember, one sale of a bike is worth at least 5 services and 1/5th the time!

Oh, and if you feel like moving to Melb, there's a casual job going at my shop.

<b>---Matt---</b>

·
Registered
313 Posts
BJ- said:
ahahahha im a kid...but yeh thanks for the constructive critisicm soap...its all good i understand...

and same with u banshee...i dont have enough time to drive an hour to the shop to ask em so an email will have to do for the moment...

i think i might go in next week and talk to em about it...

but yeh thanks again so far...and i will keep u guys posted...
If you don't have the time to go ask how will you have the time to work for them? You really need to talk to them in person. Have your mom get you a nice shirt, it will make all the difference if you are clean looking and polite. Once you get the job it won't matter as much. Don't go in there with your sights on getting a new bike, go in there with the thought of learning a new skill or trade. And talk to people like an adult, that will set you apart from the other kids who are trying to get the same job you are.

·
Registered
3,669 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
i should be moving in with my big sis...and she lives in melb so for the days im working i wont have to drive an hour to get there i can just catch a tram...so far the place is about 10min away from the shop im trying to get a job at...u might know it...VIC MTB...its in kew...

whats ur shop called...

·
What's this for anyway???
145 Posts
Yeah, I know VICMTB... I haven't been in there recently but I see Ryan and Tyrone at races sometimes (when I actually race). I work at Rebel... I know it's not really glamourous but it pays better than most of the other bike shops I've looked into and the hours are good and flexible.
Good luck getting a job at VICMTB! It's not gonna be easy getting a job there coz it's only a very small business and I'm sure they get heaps of people wanting a job there. There aren't very many MTB shops around that area. You have to travel a fair distance from there to get to any other reputable shops.

<b>---Matt---</b>

1 - 20 of 27 Posts