Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Hella Olde
2,541 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Disclaimer: I've already been lowkey hyping this event and I am now an official
Internette Influencer :devil:

Not really, but the nice Race Cascadia Ops Manager is offering a $15 registration discount code for CA racers (below) and the Shasta Bike park is offering $10 off lift tix for Sunday for people who want to stay and play another day. The updated Race Guide has been published as well.....Czech it out. There is free dry camping onsite (no tents or open flame but water and bathrooms). I love trains, so I'm staying at a hotey in nearby Dunsmuir to get a benching fix.

Discount code on Flyer:

Full Tilt Shasta Race Guide

:thumbsup:

Attachments

·
Registered
1,430 Posts
I'm looking forward to race reports.

Unfortunately I think Shasta Ski Park is going about this backward and instead of building a great trail system then having events, they are hoping these large events will promote the park. I am just afraid this is really going to backfire on them as the only halfway decent trail is the one downhill trail. The potential is there, they just need to focus on building some high quality trails that everyone can enjoy.

·
Hella Olde
2,541 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I'm looking forward to race reports.

Unfortunately I think Shasta Ski Park is going about this backward and instead of building a great trail system then having events, they are hoping these large events will promote the park. I am just afraid this is really going to backfire on them as the only halfway decent trail is the one downhill trail. The potential is there, they just need to focus on building some high quality trails that everyone can enjoy.
I don't get the feeling that it's going to be a large event. The Ski park isn't the promoter - their hill is being used by RaceCascadia. It's another race option that isn't governed by USAC and that's OK in my book. As a local, you definitely have a better perspective on the scene there, but for the casual racer/camper/tourist like me, it's a welcome opportunity to get out of town for a weekend and see/do something different. From what I've seen on YT, the trails are better than anything legal around my neck of the woods. We shall see.....

·
Registered
209 Posts
I don't get the feeling that it's going to be a large event. The Ski park isn't the promoter - their hill is being used by RaceCascadia.
So far, the RaceCascadia DH doesn't look to be that big of an event, but two weeks later the California Enduro Series comes to the Ski Park and over 300 racers are pre-registered for that event. This is where things might go sideways on them if the venue is not in top notch shape.
Reading down through the racer list, I only spotted about half a dozen names of regular Ski Park riders and that means 300+ new riders are going to be exposed to the Ski Park for the 1st time. I certainly hope it's not the Ski Park that gets exposed.

On a personal note, I am going to go up on Friday morning to help on the Trail Work day. Having ridden there more than anyone else, including this past weekend. I can say without a doubt that there is still quite a bit that needs done to make the Ski Park race ready.

There is still a little snow on the DH trail and several of the trails got damaged by a motorcycle race they held at the venue last fall. The moto guys were supposed to come up and repair what they destroyed, but that clearly did not happen. Quite a few wooden features were destroyed and not replaced.

Fingers crossed that there is a big turn out this Friday to help get things up and running smooth for the coming races and beyond.

There are some new staff in charge this year and from talking with them, they do have a vision for the Ski Park. It will take some time to implement the needed changes unfortunately time is one thing they are currently very short on.

I have always had a good time there! The staff is super friendly and the locals are all helpful to guests from out of town. Their trails are a challenge for most of these folks, especially those who have 'real dirt' on their local trails. Being on the side of a volcano, the brown pow at the ski Park is a great place to hone in those drifting skills for sure and if they just finished a water cycle (typically twice a day) the surface firms up nicely and is a blast to rip laps.

Anyone interested in helping out this Friday, here are the details: https://www.facebook.com/events/655770554854937/
The graphic says postponed, but this Friday the 21st of June is the day.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.