Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
333 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hey all,

i have a 650b project underway! i am set on the hubs and the tires yet i am torn on which hoops to score! initially i was set on blunts but now have opened up to the idea of using P35s.

other relevant info:
wheels are going to be put on a singlespeed schwinn homegrown
wheels are going to be used on other bikes down the road (full suspension)
the homegrown is rode on xc style singletrack
im 6'5" and a static 240#s

can i get a comparison featuring blunts v. p35s...?

any and all additional opinions welcome...

·
noMAD man
12,227 Posts
adubb...not flaming you with the old, "use the search function", but there really is a lot of extensive prior commentary about these two rims...by myself and others. I'd search just this forum using the key words, "blunt" and "P35"...starting with the P35, as it has lots of comments about the Blunt usually contained within.

·
Registered
333 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
TNC said:
adubb...not flaming you with the old, "use the search function", but there really is a lot of extensive prior commentary about these two rims...by myself and others. I'd search just this forum using the key words, "blunt" and "P35"...starting with the P35, as it has lots of comments about the Blunt usually contained within.
no flaming necessary for i have used the search function extensively prior to ever inquiring and read all of the threads speaking about p35s and blunts...hence my title, "Update..."

i am inquiring if any new info has been acquired by yourself and others whom have been blessed with the ability to ride the p35s or both for a significant duration of time. all i have asked for was an update, not a definition of each hoop...

·
noMAD man
12,227 Posts
Well, my update about my dissatisfaction with the Blunt hasn't changed when it comes to running it tubeless...at least until I hear the official word that its size has grown to the same bead seat as the P35. The Blunt is a great rim except for that one issue for me. My P35 is still absolutely bulletproof as far as its strength integrity has been concerned, and it's been running tubeless without any incident whatsoever. Velocity got that one absolutely right...and for a big rim, it's not that heavy.

·
www.derbyrims.com
6,766 Posts
I'll second what TNC reports on the P35. Its a solid, stiff, round and an easy to build rim. The Neo-moto 2.3 is a snug fit with split-tube "ghetto" tubeless rim strip, unlike my Blunt rim.

And I may not be as rough a rider as TNC, because I have never had blow-off issues with the first corrected sized Blunt rims in over 1.5 years. I have ridden Blunt rims front and rear in some of the gnarliest terrain such as South Mountain near Phoenix, and many rides in Moab and Bootleg Canyon Park in Boulder, NV.

My P35 rim I use in front is 2mm larger in diameter than my corrected Blunt rear rim. Like TNC, I also would like a verification that the rumored "second correction" of the Blunt 650b is the same diameter as the satisfactory P35.

·
Registered
333 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
if the blunts can handle gnarly terrain are the P35 worth the extra benjies...?

not that i am building a budget build or anything...yet i am one who likes use all financial resources effectively...!!!

·
www.derbyrims.com
6,766 Posts
Wish I Were Riding said:
The P35's sound much better than the Blunts...
P35's bring more volume allowing lower pressure if you like that, and flatten the profile making a larger traction patch. They are stiffer, probably more durable, easier for gnarl being about 50gms heavier in momentum.

·
The White Jeff W
5,715 Posts
derby said:
P35's bring more volume allowing lower pressure if you like that, and flatten the profile making a larger traction patch. They are stiffer, probably more durable, easier for gnarl being about 50gms heavier in momentum.
Err, closer to 150g's from what I've seen. Nice wide footprint, though! If I was looking to build a bomber 650B wheelset the P35 looks like the way to go,

P35 = 595g
Blunt = 450g

·
Registered
333 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Wish I Were Riding said:
The P35's sound much better than the Blunts. Can the difference in cost really save you that much cash???
its not that it would save me a ton of cash...it just that the $40-60 that i could save via blunts over p35s could be used for new tires or a new caliper or bottom bracket or a thomson seat post or some winter riding clothes or some gas for a spring road trip with bike or ss bar bomber or xbox game or four thirty packs o beer...

trying to use all financial resources effectively...!!!

·
Registered
4,661 Posts
adubb25 said:
its not that it would save me a ton of cash...it just that the $40-60 that i could save via blunts over p35s could be used for new tires or a new caliper or bottom bracket or a thomson seat post or some winter riding clothes or some gas for a spring road trip with bike or ss bar bomber or xbox game or four thirty packs o beer...

trying to use all financial resources effectively...!!!
That's true, and I hope my post wasn't overly harsh. I can't pretend to know everyone else's money issues. So do what works best for you! :thumbsup:

Keep in mind though, that what everyone seems to be saying is the P35's are probably a much better rim. Use them to build a better wheel, and they might last you longer. That's also money saved over the long run. Plus, money spent right the first time, keeps you a lot happier, as opposed to having issues sooner with something lesser. :cool:

·
Registered
333 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Wish I Were Riding said:
That's true, and I hope my post wasn't overly harsh. I can't pretend to know everyone else's money issues. So do what works best for you! :thumbsup:

Keep in mind though, that what everyone seems to be saying is the P35's are probably a much better rim. Use them to build a better wheel, and they might last you longer. That's also money saved over the long run. Plus, money spent right the first time, keeps you a lot happier, as opposed to having issues sooner with something lesser. :cool:
i am a bean counter...inherited it from a long line of misers...your words speak the truth in terms of spend good once and never spend again...

·
Registered
64 Posts
adubb25 said:
i am a bean counter...inherited it from a long line of misers...your words speak the truth in terms of spend good once and never spend again...
Ha ha you sound like me. I was going to go with P35's since im a big guy (235 lbs) and have destroyed alot of rims in my day. Some guy on here posted that he was 240 lbs and had been running SunRingle Equalizers for 2 years with no problems. At $31 they are under half the price of P35's. Im going to give the Equalizers a try myself.

·
Registered
333 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
thehogsters said:
Ha ha you sound like me. I was going to go with P35's since im a big guy (235 lbs) and have destroyed alot of rims in my day. Some guy on here posted that he was 240 lbs and had been running SunRingle Equalizers for 2 years with no problems. At $31 they are under half the price of P35's. Im going to give the Equalizers a try myself.
i have narrowed the search to only blunts or p35s...lbs has them in stock usually and i like my locals...

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.