Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

Update needed for Palos

3K views 35 replies 21 participants last post by  Eric Z 
#1 ·
What are the conditions this weekend?

#5 ·
When can we start riding Maple and Bull Frog lake trails ? I know weather depending, but on average when can we plan to start ? Early April ?

I just getting back to biking this year. Haven't bikes since mid 90's. Used to always ride the single track right near the swallow cliff area, up the big stairs go east were some awesome track all around the tabboging slides. Is that still around ?

#6 ·
If I remember correctly, Palos usually doesn't dry out completely until May or even as late as June. I'm not saying you can't ride before then, but that place takes a long time to dry out compared to Kettle, Ft. Custer, and the other well known trails in the area.

#8 ·
Darthdingo said:
Where is kettle or Ft. custer ?

I am looking forward to heading out to Bull Frog lake area if the wider multitrack will be ready to ride soon ?
Ft Custer

Lots of sand there, normally rideable a bit earlier. Not as much sand as Yankee, another MI park. Both are a bit of a hike from Chicago. Ft Custer is a 90 min drive from South Bend.

JmZ

#13 ·
Darthdingo said:
I live in the western burbs of Chicago. looking for a place to ride on a weekly basis that is just half hour away. only good single track I know close is swallow cliff. anything else nearby ? How is near des plaine river in northwest side of chicago ?
Were you just at Swallow or did you do more of the Palos single tracks? The single tracks right now are mud and slop please do not ride. Also the multi tracks are way too muddy to ride :madmax: The paved is the only rideable tracks that I know of right now.

#14 ·
Jlodato said:
Were you just at Swallow or did you do more of the Palos single tracks? The single tracks right now are mud and slop please do not ride. Also the multi tracks are way too muddy to ride :madmax: The paved is the only rideable tracks that I know of right now.
I haven't rode my Mountain Bike in the woods since the mid 90's, like 15yrs ago. Just getting back into it again :thumbsup:

But when I did ride, the popular spot was near the stairs for Swallow Cliff slides, up on top there was some killer single track that went downhill, and had some great twisty runs. I only rode up and around near that area.

Is that still the best spot to ride when it warms up ? I have heard that Maple and Bull Frog Lake area is good too, but never rode those trails, just Swallow Cliffs.

#15 ·
Darthdingo said:
I haven't rode my Mountain Bike in the woods since the mid 90's, like 15yrs ago. Just getting back into it again :thumbsup:

But when I did ride, the popular spot was near the stairs for Swallow Cliff slides, up on top there was some killer single track that went downhill, and had some great twisty runs. I only rode up and around near that area.

Is that still the best spot to ride when it warms up ? I have heard that Maple and Bull Frog Lake area is good too, but never rode those trails, just Swallow Cliffs.
Yeah Swallow cliff single tracks are all closed and illegal. If you go around 95th and Wolf there is the Moutain Bike Staging Area and a few different groves that lead to The Gravity Cavity and 3 Ravines. Palos has some great singletracks.

#16 ·
Jlodato said:
Yeah Swallow cliff single tracks are all closed and illegal. If you go around 95th and Wolf there is the Moutain Bike Staging Area and a few different groves that lead to The Gravity Cavity and 3 Ravines. Palos has some great singletracks.
Oh, so the best stuff around the top of the stairs to Swallow Cliff slides is closed now ? :confused: That was so much fun and very popular when I rode out there. I always called that place Palos, because it is located in Palos Park forest preserve. But will check out this new place at 95th and Wolf.

I see more and more bikers seem to be parking starting off in the Maple Lake and Bull Frog Lake lots ? Ar those ok to ride ?

#17 ·
They are open around the Maple and Bullfrog area. Those trails are pretty good and some are pretty technical. I have only been riding for a few years now but it is only improving. Those parking lots get a little crowded in the am with a lot of riders. Hopefully the trails will be dry soon.

#18 ·
Jlodato said:
They are open around the Maple and Bullfrog area. Those trails are pretty good and some are pretty technical. I have only been riding for a few years now but it is only improving. Those parking lots get a little crowded in the am with a lot of riders. Hopefully the trails will be dry soon.
Thanks for the info. So on average when can we start to plan to ride out there ? A few weeks ?

#19 ·
Darthdingo said:
Thanks for the info. So on average when can we start to plan to ride out there ? A few weeks ?
Honestly depends. Hopefully its dry the end of March beginning of April. Im sure the Multi tracks probably a couple weeks. But as for singletracks last year end of March beginning of April were ok but then it was slop until June:sad:

#25 ·
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.