Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
1,559 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I thought I'd post up about the last few rides on my Leftified Mojo...

I've been very pleased and impressed from the get-go, but today we did a good 26 miler in the lower Sierras that included EVERYTHING:

Swooping smooth twisties
Long bombing downhills
Choppy harsh crap
Loooong moderate climbs
STEEP climbs

How did it stack up? AWESOME. I actually found myself looking for the more nasty line... especilly if I was leading out, I'd try to drag my buddies though the worst of it, :D all the time I'm eating it up and wanting more!

On the long climbs, I found out a new thing: I can compress the front fork, hit the lockout and it stays in the lowered position, great for those granny gear STEEP climbs!

On all the nasty stuff it is SO much less flexy than my conventional Fox 140 and it tracks like an arrow. :thumbsup:

Oh, and there must have been 10 portages we had to do because of downed trees... every time one of my buddies lifted my bike there were groans of awe and cursing at me about how light it was (23lbs) :p

Bottom line: DO IT! :thumbsup:

Attachments

·
Registered
1,059 Posts
I just converted my ride to a lefty, but the only left i could find here was the max ffd ...

I find that although the fork is killer stiff... it comes nowhere close to the plushness i had on the 2010 Revelation .. :( might go back , but this lefty thing looks soooo kewl

·
Registered
1,559 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
DH_WP said:
I just converted my ride to a lefty, but the only left i could find here was the max ffd ...

I find that although the fork is killer stiff... it comes nowhere close to the plushness i had on the 2010 Revelation .. :( might go back , but this lefty thing looks soooo kewl
I can understand that... the FFD is an older fork and pretty heavy by comparison to the current designs (like over 1.5lbs heavier!).

I had an aluminum SPV 140 max I almost put on my Ibis, but I just could not go with a heavier older version... I bucked up for a newer carbon one... Couldn't see adding weight to my lovely carbon Ibis!

I think, based on my experience, the Lefties have really come a long way just in the last two years...

ANOTHER UPDATE:
I just did another mega ride in the Sierra foothills yeasterday and I'm again in awe of this puppy!

·
Proud lame eBiker
2,680 Posts
CactusJackSlade said:
I can understand that... the FFD is an older fork and pretty heavy by comparison to the current designs (like over 1.5lbs heavier!).

I had an aluminum SPV 140 max I almost put on my Ibis, but I just could not go with a heavier older version... I bucked up for a newer carbon one... Couldn't see adding weight to my lovely carbon Ibis!

I think, based on my experience, the Lefties have really come a long way just in the last two years...

ANOTHER UPDATE:
I just did another mega ride in the Sierra foothills yeasterday and I'm again in awe of this puppy!
Sierra Foothills.....where man, where is there not snow right now? Unless you're talking low elevation, maybe Auburn? You're just teasing with saying Tahoe...I mean Sierra's.
Go away white stuff, go away you devil powder!

·
Registered
1,559 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Internal14 said:
Sierra Foothills.....where man, where is there not snow right now? Unless you're talking low elevation, maybe Auburn? You're just teasing with saying Tahoe...I mean Sierra's.
Go away white stuff, go away you devil powder!
Yes, lower elevations... exactly where?... Hummmm can't quite remember ;)

Working on a video though....

·
Registered
696 Posts
I have a question that I posted in a Lefty thread in the Dale forum, but I figured you guys might know as well.

I'm looking to get myself a Lefty Max Carbon PBR (2010) with the standard size clamps (i.e. not the XL version). I have a medium size Mojo SL (115 mm head tube length) and a Cane Creek IS 110. Will it fit?

·
Has a cycling disorder
536 Posts
Crossmaxx said:
I have a question that I posted in a Lefty thread in the Dale forum, but I figured you guys might know as well.

I'm looking to get myself a Lefty Max Carbon PBR (2010) with the standard size clamps (i.e. not the XL version). I have a medium size Mojo SL (115 mm head tube length) and a Cane Creek IS 110. Will it fit?
Yes. I leftied my medium Mojo with a Project 321 steer tube adapter and some spacers.
Works a treat
Al.

·
Registered
1,559 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Lelandjt said:
If there existed a carbon Lefty with 150mm travel and quick travel reduction to 100mm I'd sell my DUC and get it.
In reality you will probably get more REAL travel out of a Lefty 140 than a dual leg 150. In every case (my 110, 130 and 140 Lefties) I get more usable travel than compared to a conventional fork.

Here is a photo of my Ibis with the 130. I just installled the new 2010 model 140. Pic's and comparison soon.

CJS

Attachments

·
bike rider
5,569 Posts
I bottom my 150mm DUC every ride and only run about 10mm sag. Custom tuned damper and air chamber. I'd probably go for a 140mm Lefty if it had a travel reduction feature. I really prefer climbing with my fork in the 4" setting to the 6" setting.

·
Registered
1,059 Posts
Likewise.... all my forks I have had have been able to get full travel.....

My revelation gets it's claimed 150mm ...

although i somtimes wonder about my 2 leftys as there is no o-ring to tell if full travel is being used .....

·
Registered
1,559 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
DH_WP said:
Cactus --- what 2010 140 did you install....

I am trying to decide between a PBR and RCL ... i really cant make up my mind to which is the better one?
See my new post :thumbsup: http://forums.mtbr.com/showthread.php?t=580210

Not having ever riden the Fox version I don't really know, but I imagine the Fox is also a great Lefty with infinite adjustments, but heavier. The PBR, probably not quite as nice, but lighter...

Hope that helps.

·
Registered
1,059 Posts
CactusJackSlade
sorry to re-bump this thread, but i have a question.. I have decided to go with the Carbon PRB ... and want to know what adapter to use... I am leaning towards the Project 3.2.1 since i have nothing but praise for there after sales service .... my question is..

once you have seated the race .... can you still remove the adapter (steerer tube) from the bonded arms holding onto the fork?

I suppose it depends on what headset you are using? I have the solos 110 ... is the race small enough to fit though the clams... if not I don't see how it can work...

can you post some more juicy pictures of the actually assembly to wet my appetite ?

Thanks

·
Registered
1,059 Posts
@CactusJackSlade - so now that you have had some time on the fork.... how does it feel?
reason for asking I have just pulled the trigger on a on 2010 140 Alloy PBR to replace my 140 max TPC .....
I have heard a lot of talk about the fork diving way to much in corners and when the brakes are applied...have you experienced any of this?

1 - 20 of 25 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.