Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
3,669 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
as u all know i applyed for a job at VIC MTB...

the dudes from the shop just got back to me on the matter (tyron let me down easyily)...

Hi Bjorn this is Tyron from VicMtb.

Unfortunately mate I’m constantly putting people off as it gets quiet, then when summer comes they all come back, so @ the moment we are right for staff. However don’t give up send your details to as many stores as you can in Melbourne and just wait and see what happens, you will find in summer that someone will always give you a go. Unfortunately most bikes we had are gone, but there is still some bikes around.

Tyron Mclean.

so im a little crushed but ill survive... :(

anyway...ive got 3 shops left that i can apply for (VIC was probably the smallest out of the 4) so theres still hope...

so now i was wondering what should i say in my next letters...coz some of u guys wreckoned that i should make it more formal...and what should i include in it eg skills etc...also should i put like a resmue or summin... :confused:

thanks guys...:D

(i cant go into the shop the ask coz i live an hour from the city so emails will have to do for the moment)

·
Registered
159 Posts
why dont you volunteer your time, at least to get to know the stuff, people, and how everything goes/

thats what i did..
i only went when i had time, but i learned a lot during that time..

·
Doesnt ride Banshees
1,406 Posts
Yes, more formal is better, be to the point, dont mention anything thats irrelavent. Good things to stress is that your a hard worker and friendly with people, include your job experience and provide names and numbers of those you've worked for. It wont matter if the jobs you've done before are bike related. mention that you like riding bikes just as much as fixing them, but wont over stress it. dont mention anything about buying your next bike at the shop while working there lmao (just bustin ur balls man lol). Good luck, you'll do fine, and like i said in the last thread, you'll get a much better response if you talk to them in person. Id recommend going into the shop, asking if they have any positions open, if they say no, say "Alright no problem, im looking for a job and i'd just like to drop my resume off that you can put on file for when an employee leaves." again, good luck.

·
Registered
3,669 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
orite...thanks man...

will definatly do...and ill keep u guys posted on how i go...

im gunna try spoke(n) next...

·
Registered
80 Posts
Go into the shop

I have run two shops in LA you have seen them and me in bike mags. I hit delete on most of the inquiers, if I look at e-mail at all, most of the time it is a red flag if the person will not go in. Try going into the shop. Why wont you go into the shop? People ask all the time and I have never gotten mad. Well once but the guy was asking for discounts at the same time and saying how he would run things.

·
Registered
15 Posts
BJ- said:
as u all know i applyed for a job at VIC MTB...

the dudes from the shop just got back to me on the matter (tyron let me down easyily)...

Hi Bjorn this is Tyron from VicMtb.

Unfortunately mate I’m constantly putting people off as it gets quiet, then when summer comes they all come back, so @ the moment we are right for staff. However don’t give up send your details to as many stores as you can in Melbourne and just wait and see what happens, you will find in summer that someone will always give you a go. Unfortunately most bikes we had are gone, but there is still some bikes around.

Tyron Mclean.

so im a little crushed but ill survive... :(

anyway...ive got 3 shops left that i can apply for (VIC was probably the smallest out of the 4) so theres still hope...

so now i was wondering what should i say in my next letters...coz some of u guys wreckoned that i should make it more formal...and what should i include in it eg skills etc...also should i put like a resmue or summin... :confused:

thanks guys...:D

(i cant go into the shop the ask coz i live an hour from the city so emails will have to do for the moment)
Be in the store often, learn everything you can and show a willingless to learn. I garentee you that working in a shop is different then you expect. I always prefer to deal in person.. We get some people in the shop I work at that come in with resume's that they pretty much run in, dont even make eye contact, hand me a resume then run off... Not really the type of people that a bike store wants to deal with customers eh?

I didnt even know the boss when i got my job, I became good friends with the head tech and eventually became 'the *****'.. After a year I was head tech for a long time (super short staffed)... Now ive decided to tone down my hours and im working 4 days a week.. some things are just more important then working to me.

Take what you can get, if it means they will let you volenteer for a bit, go for it! it will open doors.

·
Registered
3,669 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
BJ- said:
thats why i cant just go in...but seems as so many ppl have said to...go in and ask in person i reckon i will...but wont be able untill next weekend...so would it be a good idea to still email or spend the time of writing an email instead doing a resume and just rock up and give it do the guys...also maby spend the day chatting to the guys about random bike stuff so they can get to know me and i can demonstrate my upfront personalitly and knowledge of bikes...therefore maby when i leave all the ppl who work there will know i want a job and when i go itll leave a good impression of me...

that sound like a plan... :confused:

·
Registered
43 Posts
I think Elvis stated it correctly...don't waste your time emailing. Especially if they don't have a face to put to the email. It will be deleted. Especially a job in the service industry where you have to be in contact with people all the time. There are other things important than just being able to spin a wrech. Are you curtious? Polite? Team player? There is a lot of stuff people can't tell from an email/resume for that matter. Is this your first job? Go after it dude...that **** doesn't sit around and wait for you!

·
Registered
3,669 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
i sure will...

im gunna run straight in...punch it in the face and then grab that dam bull by its fricking horns and wrestle him to the ground...:D

nah ill start working on a resume...

and remember children there is no i in team...but there is a me...:D

1 - 10 of 10 Posts