Intense 5.5 5.5" travel
Titus MotoLite 5" "
Astrix (no name yet) 5.6" "

Any others I might have missed?

29erchico

·
Recovering couch patato
14,019 Posts
Then the already existing Astrix Monk @ 4.5", Ventana El Capitan 4-5" and of course Lenz Behemoth 5" need to be mentionned as well.
Together that makes for quite an offering, doesn't it?

·
Harmonius Wrench
8,254 Posts
It all begs the question........

If there are these long travel framesets coming out does it mean that there is going to be something other than a White fork to bolt to the front of it?

Do these builders know something that we don't?

Hmm....................:skep:

·
Registered
11,763 Posts

Guitar Ted said:
If there are these long travel framesets coming out does it mean that there is going to be something other than a White fork to bolt to the front of it?

Hmm....................:skep:
I hope the heck SO.. a 29" 125mm RS revelation with u-turn..oh man

·
Harmonius Wrench
8,254 Posts
And don't forget about the tires!

We know that there is a 2.55 tire coming from WTB based on the WeirWolf LT. But I think that we will see some more coming that will also be suitable for such long travel rigs.

I have heard rumors of at least two 29"er specific treads from WTB alone.......

·
Registered
4,040 Posts
29erchico said:
Titus MotoLite 5"
I'd love to see it, but when I askd Titus about it they said their frame designs (RX, Moto, etc.) limited 29er FS travel to just shy of 3" before ST clearance became the limiting factor.

I think it should be doable if Lenz and Ventana can produce 5" travel bikes with straight, full length STs.

·
Harmonius Wrench
8,254 Posts
Soupboy said:
I'd love to see it, but when I askd Titus about it they said their frame designs (RX, Moto, etc.) limited 29er FS travel to just shy of 3" before ST clearance became the limiting factor.

I think it should be doable if Lenz and Ventana can produce 5" travel bikes with straight, full length STs.
Maybe Titus is unwilling to go over a certain chainstay length, which would be the limiting factor in that design.

·
Registered
4,040 Posts
Well, exactly, GT.

Somewhat ironic that Ventana and Lenz can do it - admittedly with non-Horst but I'm not sure if that helps or hurts.

The Ventana/Lenz stays are .3" longer at 18.3" vs. 18.0" on the RX. For a 2.15" or 75% increase in travel I'd figure out how to deal with a 1.7% increase in CS length. But that's just me.

Guitar Ted said:
Maybe Titus is unwilling to go over a certain chainstay length, which would be the limiting factor in that design.

·
Ventana Mountain Bikes
172 Posts
Horst is different. As it has a shorter swingarm (between pivots) it swings a smaller arc making seat tube clearance an issue. This difference is exaggerated with the low bb's and higher axles on 29's. I suggest you go to the source and ask Titus about this.

·
Recovering couch patato
14,019 Posts
1-1.5lb more than the equivalent 26"er.

Rims are least of the problem. We have the Kris Holm, NoTubes FR, WTB, Sun Rhynolite...

Tires will make it all happen.

·
Registered
2,230 Posts
Soupboy said:
Well, exactly, GT.

Somewhat ironic that Ventana and Lenz can do it - admittedly with non-Horst but I'm not sure if that helps or hurts.

The Ventana/Lenz stays are .3" longer at 18.3" vs. 18.0" on the RX. For a 2.15" or 75% increase in travel I'd figure out how to deal with a 1.7% increase in CS length. But that's just me.
Where's the irony? If Tituses existing components, when configured into a 29er only allow for 3" of travel, then that's it. No more Enchilada. If they don't want to pursue a longer travel bike and have to make X amount of new parts, that's their perogative.

Heck, I can't get Tioga to even consider making a 29er tire of any description (I've worked for them as a Product Design Consultant for over 10 years), so the best thing you can do is support those companies that make what you want, and leave it at that. We can whinge as much as we want, but if some company deems something uneconomically viable, what can you do?

·
rider
2,356 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Fastskiguy said:
So how much are these big rigs gonna weigh anyway? And I'm not talking about a superblinged out ride with superlight $$$ stuff, just "regular" stuff.....30-35#'s?
I'll let you know when I get my Monk with the WB Fluid 130 to the scales. It's 130mm front and 115mm rear travel. But it's not going to be light it's an XL.

So far with three rides on it in the North Tahoe area, it is super fun. Switching from the IMV 100 WB fork was a major revelation. The Fluid fork is a MUCH better match for the plushness offered by the Monk's rear travel.

Pics, build specs and review will come when I have a few more rides on it and have learned to really take advantage of it's potential.

29erchico

·
Recovering Weight Weenie
8,821 Posts
Fastskiguy said:
So how much are these big rigs gonna weigh anyway? And I'm not talking about a superblinged out ride with superlight $$$ stuff, just "regular" stuff.....30-35#'s?
33lbs in size XXL, free-ride-ish cranks, 36 hole rhynolites, DT FR hubs, Exi's, Doublewalls, 8" mechanicals, bashring, Time Z's.
(but this weight is at the low end of the spectrum since it's a Lenz. A similar El Cap is likely 2lbs heavier)

Attachments

1 - 20 of 23 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.