Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
SS Chimp
525 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
8th Annual Tour Of Victor Mountain Bike Party needs your support. 2700' feet of climbing in 16 miles between 9800' and 10900' makes for a killer late season race. the course is on private land that is only opened up once a year for the race. beer bottle width single track abounds with fast descents and steep climbs. beer and awards afterwards but the best part is it helps out a small mountain town and specifically the kids Penguins Hockey Club.

info here -->http://mtbrace.net/BigBullInfo.htm
or
mail info AT mtbrace DOT net
or call the # on the form

online and race day registration available...come out and help support a great grass roots race!

·
Registered
2,826 Posts
General Rant

Please don't take offense; I'm sure you'll have a great race.

But why, why, why is it that every year there are weekends with NO racing within 2 hours of the Front Range(like this weekend, and 9/18) and other weekends there are three freaking races on the the same day? (September 11 there are Victor, Salida (Another great 'local' race) and Breckenridge, as well as a race in Vallecito in the 4 corners area).

I can't figure it out.

Maybe if there was actually a unified calendar somewhere...in the old days of USCF only racing there was a schedule meeting every WInter to set dates. Some knock down drag outs about who got what date, but at least you didn't have this situation.

32x18 said:
8th Annual Tour Of Victor Mountain Bike Party needs your support. 2700' feet of climbing in 16 miles between 9800' and 10900' makes for a killer late season race. the course is on private land that is only opened up once a year for the race. beer bottle width single track abounds with fast descents and steep climbs. beer and awards afterwards but the best part is it helps out a small mountain town and specifically the kids Penguins Hockey Club.

or

online and race day registration available...come out and help support a great grass roots race!

·
Registered
1,131 Posts
Just a quick update for anyone who's considering participating in this sick, sick race...

There will be NO late registration until race day, contrary to the information printed in the paper flyer or elsewhere online. If this is any incentive to register, please do, and join the fun. You'll get a free t-shirt, too, and a complimentary a*s-whoopin by some crazy mountain folk who will always be faster than you, despite what their ages and appearances suggest.

There will also be NO beer that costs any green money. The beer can be paid for in blood, sweat, and chain lube, and will be available in vast, unadulaterated quanities.

·
SS Chimp
525 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
hey i hear ya and there a lot of races i would like to do in september but they all seem to conflict. there a not enough weekends in the summer to accommodate all the races out there so you get the overlap.

i know the folks running this race tried to schedule it to limit the number of conflicts but you can't win them all and having different races to choose from is better than no races at all. other problems like cancelled races (monarch MSC on the 18th) also turn things upside down.

The 3 races you mention have all been around for a long time in one shape or another so pick one...you really can't lose! :D

·
Obviously Single
1,143 Posts
Fun race

32x18 said:

or

I have done this race two times and helped out two more times (including the first
time). This is a really cool race put on by really cool folks. They need all the
support they can get. Come enjoy the race before it gets big (and it will if they keep
it going, since it's so much fun).

I'll be heading down Sunday morning early, if one or two others wants to
car pool. (I don't need to pre-ride the course, plus I don't have the energy to ride
it two days in a row. :))

·
Registered
22 Posts
When is the registration deadline?

It says August 15 on the flyer, but, it's August 24. I know some people who would be interested. Unfortunately I'll be southwest of there hunting Elk.

·
SS Chimp
525 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
got the corrected skinny

there is NO late registration fee until race day as SDizzle said. i am not sure if/when the active.com info will be corrected but i will make note on the website that is linked in the original message about the corrections. If you want to register and Active.com is not fixed up then give Brian a buzz and he will hook you up.

all of the info below is true..... :D

SDizzle - You'll get a free t-shirt, too, and a complimentary a*s-whoopin by some crazy mountain folk who will always be faster than you, despite what their ages and appearances suggest.

There will also be NO beer that costs any green money. The beer can be paid for in blood, sweat, and chain lube, and will be available in vast, unadulaterated quanities.
Again....The beer is free

·
Preemptive Revenger
867 Posts
active.com = ticketmaster?

Errr, speaking of Active.com, does anybody else find them irritating? I signed up for an event through them and now get endless spam...in addition they take a couple of dollars per event you sign up for, and what they do is extremely trivial, even moreso than ticketmaster...I now refuse to use them...anybody else feel similarly?

·
2,815 Posts
Yup, 5 emails from them at least every week. Pretty annoying...I just delete every one.

·
Obviously Single
1,143 Posts
Active.com provides a service, but no thanks ...

rapwithtom said:
Errr, speaking of Active.com, does anybody else find them irritating? I signed up for an event through them and now get endless spam...in addition they take a couple of dollars per event you sign up for, and what they do is extremely trivial, even moreso than ticketmaster...I now refuse to use them...anybody else feel similarly?
Hi Tom:

I'm with you. I used to not give it a second thought when I used them, but then my friend Phil pointed out that I could just wait until race day and sign up. It cost the same, with the late fee (usually), but then the real race promoters get the money instead of active.com getting it.

In this case, you can print out the flyer that somebody kindly scanned in (or you could grab one at one of the local shops that have some, like Sports Garage), and fill that in. You can mail your completed entry form (with money) to:

Big Bull Mountin Bicycle Race
P. O. Box 393
Victor, CO 80860

The main advantage of signing up ahead of time, IMHO, is that you get a T-shirt reserved. One year they didn't have enough T-shirts, and when I signed up on race day, I didn't get one. (;o( [We all have our price, and mine is one-of-a-kind T-shirts.]

I'm sending mine in today. :-o

·
SS Chimp
525 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
from the FAQ

How do I subscribe/unsubscribe from your newsletter?

You can subscribe to our newstetter by going to www.active.com/active. In the Member Benefits section enter your email address and click on "Subscribe". You will receive the next newsletter we send out.

To unsubscribe from our newsletter, click on the unsubscribe link at the bottom of the email. Your request will be processed on the spot!

seemed to work for me and every mail i did receive had the opt-out instructions on the bottom. i use them to register for all the local races i have done this season and have not received one more mail after opting-out. most race managers have found that they better have the same price on active as they do for mail-in entries so it seems you pay either way. You are correct that what they do is "trivial" and i sure wish i had the idea first and got the ball rolling, maybe then i would be doing more riding and less working! :D

·
Preemptive Revenger
867 Posts
32x18 said:
How do I subscribe/unsubscribe from your newsletter?

You can subscribe to our newstetter by going to www.active.com/active. In the Member Benefits section enter your email address and click on "Subscribe". You will receive the next newsletter we send out.

To unsubscribe from our newsletter, click on the unsubscribe link at the bottom of the email. Your request will be processed on the spot!

seemed to work for me and every mail i did receive had the opt-out instructions on the bottom. i use them to register for all the local races i have done this season and have not received one more mail after opting-out. most race managers have found that they better have the same price on active as they do for mail-in entries so it seems you pay either way. You are correct that what they do is "trivial" and i sure wish i had the idea first and got the ball rolling, maybe then i would be doing more riding and less working! :D
the "unsubscribe" did not seem to work for me.
Also, you generally should be shy about doing those, as the only thing it is guaranteed to do is confirm that there email DID reach a human.

·
Registered
24 Posts
awsome race

4th time this weekend.Killer race even better atmosphere.Only The Best brewery as a sponsor.2 thumbs up

·
Obviously Single
1,143 Posts
No more Only The Best?

RockyMtnHigh said:
4th time this weekend.Killer race even better atmosphere.Only The Best brewery as a sponsor.2 thumbs up
Hi High:

I hope to see you up there. I'll be in my white Land Rover, with my Blue Elly Truth, near my friend Phil, who'll be in a Toyota Pickup with an open bed (he rides a Klien Palamino that's funky orange/red).

BTW, I heard that Only The Best will not be sponsoring the race this year, but they're getting beer from some other local brewery (sorry, can't remember which). I'll miss OTB myself if this is true, but I'll get over it.

Here's hoping for nicer weather than last year! :)

·
I ride a bike.
67 Posts
Directions...

Can someone give me directions? I can use mapquest to get to the town, but where do you go after that? Thanks.

·
Registered
24 Posts
directions for colorado

Victor is approx. 100ftx250ft you cant miss it,just listen for the music.
Mike

·
Obviously Single
1,143 Posts
better late than never, but directions are ...

colorado said:
Can someone give me directions? I can use mapquest to get to the town, but where do you go after that? Thanks.
Hi Col:

I'm sorry I didn't see your request earlier. In case you still need directions and might still see this reply:

Head up from the Springs towards Woodland park.

Keep going West through Woodland Park towards Divide.

When you get to the light in Divide, go left towards Victor and Cripple Creek.

After the used-to-be-tunnel a few miles, you'll come to a turn for Victor -- there'll be a sign. Go left to Victor.

It's maybe an hour from the Springs (give or take a bunch).

1 - 18 of 18 Posts