Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
If you were going to spend UP TOO $3500 on a full squish that was a good to great trail bike, what would it be? You want it to be nimble but aggressive, be able to hit drops, gaps and jumps without worrying, and be at least decently peddle friendly(uphill). I have some in mind but I'd love to hear what y'all are thinking!

·
Registered
104 Posts
I'd be looking at Ibis Ripmo AF, Santa Cruz Hightower AL R ($250 over budget), maybe a Specialized Stumpjumper Comp AL.

I have an Ibis Ripley AF Deore build that I like a lot. but I don't think its as aggressive as what you're looking for.

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I'd be looking at Ibis Ripmo AF, Santa Cruz Hightower AL R ($250 over budget), maybe a Specialized Stumpjumper Comp AL.

I have an Ibis Ripley AF Deore build that I like a lot. but I don't think its as aggressive as what you're looking for.
Haven't looked at the Ripmo but I have recently eyeballed the Ibis Mojo 4 Deore.

·
Registered
88 Posts
Locally Orbea Occam H30. And upgrade to 4 pot brakes and tubeless. And spend the rest on bong rips or beer. Whatever may float your boat. Seriously. Still killer spec for the monies. I almost bought the same bike instead of my Rallon M20.

Online. Calibre Sentry Pro. The spec for money is unreal. Leaving more monies for bong rips or beer, again whatever may float yer boat.

·
CEO Product Failure
1,739 Posts
I'd look for a used bike with a target budget of $3k. I'd use the additional $500 for a new drivetrain and tires. Also, I'd check the Pro's Closet regularly for inventory. I have a few buddies who've gotten complete bikes without issue from the Pro's Closet. Personally, I'd be looking for a used SC Tallboy or Hightower.

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Trance X 29 2. Good geo, every component looks solid except maybe the brakes.
Wondered about the Trance X. I bought my fiancé a Stance (2)? I haven't really messed with it at all since its hers lol. Maybe I need to look into them.

·
Registered
1,148 Posts
My top choice would be Ripmo AF, but YT Jeffsy or Capra are great bikes in that ballpark. I've ridden a few Specialized Stumpjumpers over the years and they make a solid bike.

·
Registered
455 Posts
How big do you plan to go with your drops/gaps/jumps and how smooth are you? I was originally planning for a Ripmo AF, but ended up getting a Ripley AF. I think the quicker, more nimble nature of the bike suits me better. I've been very happy with my purchase.

·
Registered
104 Posts
We are all offering recommendations and whatnot, but what can you actually get?
I know in the Ibis forum, some people were waiting from january on Ripley AFs that they ordered, to have their orders canceled this week.
not trying to be a wet blanket, but I'd talk to your dealer or at least consider what you can get..

·
Registered
244 Posts
I'd invest the money and let it build a little bit of worth while you wait for the bike you decide on to be in stock.

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
How big do you plan to go with your drops/gaps/jumps and how smooth are you? I was originally planning for a Ripmo AF, but ended up getting a Ripley AF. I think the quicker, more nimble nature of the bike suits me better. I've been very happy with my purchase.
I plan on going as big as I can lol! I'm far from graceful or easy. I'm trying to learn to be though.
We are all offering recommendations and whatnot, but what can you actually get?
I know in the Ibis forum, some people were waiting from january on Ripley AFs that they ordered, to have their orders canceled this week.
not trying to be a wet blanket, but I'd talk to your dealer or at least consider what you can get..
Yeah I actually have started to see that as I've looked at different ones. It may come down to just what I'm able to actually get my hands on and purchase.

·
Registered
10 Posts
If you were going to spend UP TOO $3500 on a full squish that was a good to great trail bike, what would it be? You want it to be nimble but aggressive, be able to hit drops, gaps and jumps without worrying, and be at least decently peddle friendly(uphill). I have some in mind but I'd love to hear what y'all are thinking!
Canyon Spectral 27.5”

·
Registered
124 Posts
Just throwing this out there since it appears to be in stock...in a 19" with alloy wheels.

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Canyon Spectral 27.5”

The spectral is one that's definitely on my radar!! I've seen some great reviews about it. Don't know anyone personally with one but that's all good!

1 - 20 of 24 Posts