Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,987 Posts
the way i see it:

1. mach 5.7: the girl next door - still hot but maybe not as fashion conscious. well made, strong, durable, will love you forever. very small chance she will break your heart. pivot may have best customer service in the industry.
2. mojo hd: the super hot babe across the bar. a little more high maintenance. more likely she'll break your heart but you'll look like the luckiest guy in the bar.


clearly both are great bikes and both are well reviewed. you really cant go wrong with either but if you plan on riding it more than 3 years then go with the pivot. despite what anyone says, CF full sus frames break more often than aluminum full sus frames.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
6,090 Posts
scoutcat said:
the way i see it:

1. mach 5.7: the girl next door - still hot but maybe not as fashion conscious. well made, strong, durable, will love you forever. very small chance she will break your heart. pivot may have best customer service in the industry.
2. mojo hd: the super hot babe across the bar. a little more high maintenance. more likely she'll break your heart but you'll look like the luckiest guy in the bar.

clearly both are great bikes and both are well reviewed. you really cant go wrong with either but if you plan on riding it more than 3 years then go with the pivot. despite what anyone says, CF full sus frames break more often than aluminum full sus frames.
Man that was great! :D
 

·
it's the ride....
Joined
·
522 Posts
scoutcat said:
the way i see it:

1. mach 5.7: the girl next door - still hot but maybe not as fashion conscious. well made, strong, durable, will love you forever. very small chance she will break your heart. pivot may have best customer service in the industry.
2. mojo hd: the super hot babe across the bar. a little more high maintenance. more likely she'll break your heart but you'll look like the luckiest guy in the bar.

clearly both are great bikes and both are well reviewed. you really cant go wrong with either but if you plan on riding it more than 3 years then go with the pivot. despite what anyone says, CF full sus frames break more often than aluminum full sus frames.
Well in that case I will date the girl and spend a very good time with her. It shouldnt stop me flirting with the super hot babe and a short affair is not gonna break my heart anyway. :D
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,987 Posts
i think the pivot is the way to go, just better piece of mind. a big question would be how well does ibis handle crash replacement and warranties. they both have top flite suspension designs and are equally capable - but i bet the ibis breaks more.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,232 Posts
scoutcat said:
the way i see it:

1. mach 5.7: the girl next door - still hot but maybe not as fashion conscious. well made, strong, durable, will love you forever. very small chance she will break your heart. pivot may have best customer service in the industry.
2. mojo hd: the super hot babe across the bar. a little more high maintenance. more likely she'll break your heart but you'll look like the luckiest guy in the bar.

clearly both are great bikes and both are well reviewed. you really cant go wrong with either but if you plan on riding it more than 3 years then go with the pivot. despite what anyone says, CF full sus frames break more often than aluminum full sus frames.
So your saying the 5.7 is going to be the boring married life that my friends have, does it mean the bike will show you little to no action as well?!?! In retrospect the Ibis is living life for the moment, might need to replace it in a couple years but every time you take it out it still looks hot and it's going to give you a good ride? Hmm never thought of bikes like that :D

If you a lightweight guy it will probably be a wash in the longevity department, chances are you won't break the bike and you will sell it before any failures occur. Ibis CS is also known for being fantastic, just look through their forum and see how they handle people.

It's a good dilemma to have, thought I think the 5.7 and the 160 is closer to apples to apples.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,987 Posts
Magsrgod said:
So your saying the 5.7 is going to be the boring married life that my friends have, does it mean the bike will show you little to no action as well?!?! In retrospect the Ibis is living life for the moment, might need to replace it in a couple years but every time you take it out it still looks hot and it's going to give you a good ride? Hmm never thought of bikes like that :D

If you a lightweight guy it will probably be a wash in the longevity department, chances are you won't break the bike and you will sell it before any failures occur. Ibis CS is also known for being fantastic, just look through their forum and see how they handle people.

It's a good dilemma to have, thought I think the 5.7 and the 160 is closer to apples to apples.
boring? who said anything about boring. i think the 5.7 and mojo hd are probably fairly equal regarding their performance. i just think the pivot is prob a little more durable but for some the ibis might be a little sexier.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
555 Posts
I just bought my wife a 5.7 and she is happier than a pig in Sheeet. Small XT build @ 26 #'s. Not bad for a bike that has nearly 6" of travel.
The guys at Pivot are great and chances are you'll never have to deal with any type of crash replacement.
Ibis does have good customer service and at one time good crash replacement. Probably still do.
Thing is why wait for a replacement part when you could just be riding a bike you don't have to worry about?

Good luck with the decision.
 

·
it's the ride....
Joined
·
522 Posts
tHuR, what is your wife heght if you don't mind?
I am 5'3" short and wonder if the small 5.7 is still fit me. And we need some picts here to validate (I mean the 5.7 of course... :) )
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
54 Posts
mazspeed said:
it depends on what kind of breakages you are talking abt:

Crash impact forces outside what the bike was stress designed on: Carbon Fibre will be more prone to breaking than alu (so if u have a crash while riding and ur bike hits a rock on a non-reinforced area, while the alu frame will prob have a ugly dent, the carbon fibre version will most certainly have a gaping hole there).

Forces within normal riding, like flying down a rock garden: CF will prob be above alu in this case, although by the time the alu frame gets damaged due tho the constant strain/flex its abt damn time u got a new bike :) ....No matter how stiff a Alu frame is, it will still flex more than a CF frame of similar weight

Its for the crash resistance that i went for a Pivot above a Ibis Mojo HD.....but you could say that this post is inherently biased (well all opinions are biased anyway. Both the HD and the 5.7 were the final two contenders in my list...and it was so close between the two that i simply couldnt make a decision that i could say was 'superior'. Although at the end, I went for good old aluminum at the advice from a friend who was in mechanical engineering for the reasons stated above....(not everyone is pro enuff to ride hard like Brian lopes yet be sure that they won't crash one of these days....i need to be sure i can still ride on after crashing..and CF doesnt give me that....)

If this counts for anything, I made my decision ONLY when i had enough cash to afford either bikes to ensure that my decision would not be biased due to financial contraints.......
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,061 Posts
Rei_Ikari said:
it depends on what kind of breakages you are talking abt:

Crash impact forces outside what the bike was stress designed on: Carbon Fibre will be more prone to breaking than alu (so if u have a crash while riding and ur bike hits a rock on a non-reinforced area, while the alu frame will prob have a ugly dent, the carbon fibre version will most certainly have a gaping hole there).

Forces within normal riding, like flying down a rock garden: CF will prob be above alu in this case, although by the time the alu frame gets damaged due tho the constant strain/flex its abt damn time u got a new bike :) ....No matter how stiff a Alu frame is, it will still flex more than a CF frame of similar weight

Its for the crash resistance that i went for a Pivot above a Ibis Mojo HD.....but you could say that this post is inherently biased (well all opinions are biased anyway. Both the HD and the 5.7 were the final two contenders in my list...and it was so close between the two that i simply couldnt make a decision that i could say was 'superior'. Although at the end, I went for good old aluminum at the advice from a friend who was in mechanical engineering for the reasons stated above....(not everyone is pro enuff to ride hard like Brian lopes yet be sure that they won't crash one of these days....i need to be sure i can still ride on after crashing..and CF doesnt give me that....)

If this counts for anything, I made my decision ONLY when i had enough cash to afford either bikes to ensure that my decision would not be biased due to financial contraints.......
Yes very true, but carbon is not a impact prone as it used to be. It is yes, but not as bad. I have broken an AL frame, and well a few chrome molly frames as a kid, but the ibis has held up very well. I'm also older and don't ride as reckless as I used to either. I do like the 4 and the 5.7, but for me, the HD was better. Both are awesome though.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
555 Posts
She is 5.5 ish. There is tons of stander on that bike. Have to check but i think the stem is a 90mm.
Pictures. I suck at them. see what I can do over the weekend. In the meantime just picture the grey ano with 10spd XT and DT 350 wheelset. Carbon post and bar.
It's a sweet setup.
The day we picked it up we took it to a trail she had never ridden. She rode that trail like she had ridden it numbers times. THe chunk she was able to climb and not walk was astounding.
I'm definatly a believer that the right equipment is half the battle.
 

·
Singletrack Addict!!!
Joined
·
913 Posts
It comes down to;

Angles - HD 140 is 68-Mach 68.8
!2mm rear? - HD yes - Pivot no
Weight - HD aprox .3 pounds less
Ability to change bike's handling via travel- HD can go up to 160mm 67 HA, Pivot-no

Up to you, hard decision indeed. :D
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
309 Posts
Relayden said:
It comes down to;

Angles - HD 140 is 68-Mach 68.8
I think that those measurements are for an HD with 150 mm fork and external lower cup while the Mach 5.7 is a 140 mm for and an internal lower. If they both had the same fork and lower cup, I think that they would be pretty much identical.
 

·
aka greyranger
Joined
·
507 Posts
understand

gticlay said:
I still don't understand the 140mm HD. I'd never short shock it. If anything, I'd try to jam a longer shock in there and see if it'll go to 175mm travel :D
Are you saying if your are going with the 140 hd you might as well just do the regular 160mm. If you are a bigger, heavier and or more aggressive rider and may need a 160 mm fork, you might as well do the 160 hd? Is that what you are thinking? The reason I ask I have a list of possible new build for next year. The list includes the Pivot 5.7, Ibis hd, 140 hd, sl. And possible trade in on my Ventana depending what is new with them. Thanks for reading
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
6,656 Posts
redranger said:
Are you saying if your are going with the 140 hd you might as well just do the regular 160mm. If you are a bigger, heavier and or more aggressive rider and may need a 160 mm fork, you might as well do the 160 hd? Is that what you are thinking? The reason I ask I have a list of possible new build for next year. The list includes the Pivot 5.7, Ibis hd, 140 hd, sl. And possible trade in on my Ventana depending what is new with them. Thanks for reading
Yes. Dunno if you have ridden a DW link 160 bike but wow. I've taken the 140 for a few spins and it's not what I'm looking for - just not enough travel front and rear and ... well if you can go 160 or even Firebird do it if you don't ride plain vanilla trails with a few roots.
 
1 - 20 of 34 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Top