Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Folks,

This is a photo of my ENO chainring. I've been riding it for about a year. It started to wear like this pretty early on. The sides of the teeth used to be flat but now they have a sharp lip where the chain seems to have worn into the aluminum. I'm not a clydesdale and I'm not an overly aggressive rider. Has anyone else had a similar experience? Am I doing something wrong? My chain is a SRAM PC-1. I'd appreciate any help.

IMG_2830.JPG

·
i ride bikez!!11!
485 Posts
I actually started a thread about this literally 2-3 days ago. Basically, people's experience varied. Here is an email from White Ind:

White Industries said:
In regards to the chainring, check the ring and see if one side is worn more than the other. If it is, then your chainline is off slightly and causing the ring to wear quickly. I would recommend making some adjustments so the chain is centered. If the ring is wearing evenly on both sides, then it might be time to get a new ring. The cost is $40.00. It is difficult to put a milage or time limit on the rings since people ride differently and riding styles vary significantly. The terrain you ride in will also have an effect. The best thing to do is keep an eye on it which you have been doing.
And FWIW, my ring looks exactly like that. I've got about 1 year/1000 miles on mine.

·
Registered
543 Posts
My.....

My ring was new this year and has about 1800 miles on it. I change chains quite often, (3-4 a year) and My ring still looks great! I use PC-48's and have great luck. The wider chain will offer no advantage on a narrow chainring (IMO) and may even add to the "slop effect" causing earlier wear.

·
wot no bike?
1,056 Posts
After about 4 months on mine it looked the same way, spinning with a PC-1 chain. I recently switched to a (narrrower) PC-58 and had some rubbing due to the burrs, filing those down fixed that problem. I suspect I'll flip the chainring sometime soon to wear-out the other side of the tooth before fully replacing.

·
Registered
378 Posts
I used to have the same type issue with my PC-58. Get a Boone Titanium ring.....you wont be disappointed.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts