Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I’m just seeing how many people would be interested in a unsupported time trial close to Denver . This would be a loop around Golden, Colorado linking 7 or 8 trails. I am not sure of the distance or elevation gain right now but should know as soon as some of trails are in better condition. There are plenty of places to get food and water on the route. There will be some road/bike path riding to connect trails but there will be a lot of awesome single track as well. The route will NOT be marked.. I would like to do this at the end of April depending on trail conditions But I am open to any suggestions. Anyone interested???

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Route Description

Here is what the route is going to look like for those of you interested. April 21st, 2007 6:00am. The route is going to start with a climb up Belcher hill trail to the bench at the top. Then you will locate and descend the Longhorn trail to Whipple Tree back to the parking lot. Go right and follow the frontage road to Hwy. 93. Cross Hwy. 93 into the sub division and head south find the bike path and head to Golden. From here you will locate and climb the Chimney Gulch trail on Lookout Mtn. climb to the top of the trail where the road on top at the visitors center is. From here you will locate and descend the Apex trail down to the lower parking lot and the Hwy. go right and follow this under I-70 to the Matthew Winters park Find the trail and head south towards Red Rocks. When you come to the trail intersection where there are these steps take that trail right and climb to the top where it flattens out. Descend by heading south and head towards Red Rocks again. Follow this trail all the way until you hit a road up close to the Amphitheater go left and follow this road to the Hwy. cross the Hwy. head left then right on Hwy. 8. Find Mount Falcon and climb to the top on the main trail. Do not take the runners trail! There will be some short loop on top that I will include and update later. Then descend back to the parking lot to Hwy. 8 and then back north to the light. Go right and head through Downtown Morrison and east towards Bear Creek Park go right on the bike path and go south and locate this trail that heads east after a ways. Head east on some confusing trails and locate the small climb on the east side of the lake. Head towards that. You will come to a road or paved bike path go right and head up hill to where you can switch back left and climb the small hill to the top where you will descend singletrack to the golf course building and frontage road. Head down this road to where you will find some singletrack on the left side and climb this trail. Cross the road and continue on the singletrack following the golf course to where you start heading back west and towards the lake descend a short hill and find a trail that will take you north to Morrison Rd. Cross the road and head east go left at the light Bear Creek Rd. Head north to Green mountain when you get to Alemeda find the trail and climb to the main trail. Find and climb the switchbacks to the top of Green Mountain and descend to bike path at the Rooney road parking area. Go right and follow the bike path back to Golden. Find the bike path that brought you to Golden and head north the same way you came. When you come back to Hwy. 93 head north on the side of the Hwy. ride a short distance to the gate on the right for North Table Mtn. Go through this gate and climb the road to the top. Follow some doubletrack and find the singletrack decent on the east side and follow the trail around to the north side of the mountain. Keep following this trail around and begin another climb to the top of North Table Mtn. Go past the Antenna and find your way back to the road on the first climb and descend it. Cross Hwy. 93 and follow the frontage road back to White Ranch parking lot and the Finish.

There may be some changes with the route but I will have a solid route description and posted on here well before the ride.

In addition, riders will take part at their own risk. There are no entry fees, waivers, prizes, or support. Riders will sign in prior to the start, and finish at the same location. There will be a variety of terrain. Riders will encounter doubletrack, and singletrack trails from Rocky to hard packed dirt. There are a few sections of paved road/Bike path riding. Start/finish is one location, Riders will be unsupported, and unaided except for what you can get on the route which is virtually everything you need. The only outside assistance allowed is what you can get on route or by riding a short distance and getting/repair yourself. Riders can expect to find water, or supplies on the route. This ride's route will not be marked, although many of the trails used have their own markings. Riders will be provided a route description, and will be responsible for their own navigation.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I'll try and find some descriptions of the trails on the route. Which ones are you trying to find? I might be able to give you a pretty good decription if you list the ones your unfamiliar with. The website you posted has a few of them and I'll update my website later with a couple more trail names since they are listed on that site. Thanks!

·
mutaullyassuredsuffering
2,053 Posts
Sounds fun!

I've been wanting to do a similar route for a while, but I always run out of time. Hopefully, I'll be there.

·
Tribe Member
873 Posts
This sounds like it will be loads of fun......

My only issue with this is the date...there could be lot's of snow in April. I have ridden White Ranch in April with little success.

Any thoughts of pushing this back a month or so?

Count me in though.....

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Route Conditions

yetirich said:
This sounds like it will be loads of fun......

My only issue with this is the date...there could be lot's of snow in April. I have ridden White Ranch in April with little success.

Any thoughts of pushing this back a month or so?

Count me in though.....
I know we have had more snow this year in the front range than in the past. I think we should be alright but we will see how much more snow flies down here. Last year I was riding all the trails on the route starting in March. Most all of the trails are exposed to the sun all day making them ridable early in the season with a little snow up high. Nothing that was a big deal. But if the route is unridable I will push the date back. I will have ridden all of the route well before the ride date for the GPS tracks and should have a better idea of the conditions. Hope to see you there!

·
Let There Be Dirt
186 Posts
Sounds like a great course! What is the total vertical gain? A caution though: last year Mt Falcon was unusually clear even in Jan. 06, as were some of the other 7000' elevation front range climbs. It takes a pretty dry year for the ice to and snow to melt on Falcon by April. Keep us posted!

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 · (Edited)
Lots of snow!

I just got back from hiking around Eldorado Canyon 6500' and there was about three feet of snow in the trees. With all the snow every weekend it may be awhile until we can ride any of these trails. But keep training its going to be a fun ride! I'll keep you guys posted of what I find in the next few months. I'm sure some of you will know before me though. Until then I guess I'll just go Ice climbing!!!!

·
Registered
3,311 Posts
what about dakota ridge?

(says the non-enduro guy lurking).
;)

·
Let There Be Dirt
186 Posts
I am considering it. I suggest throwing in a stop for a burrito at the Morrison Inn AFTER the Mt. Falcon climb ( Margarita optional), and then adding a loop in Deer Creek for the turn-around ( the paved ride from Morrison through Willow Springs/Ken-Caryl will give time for that burrito to digest) to complete the Tour de Front Range.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
BSIDE said:
I am considering it. I suggest throwing in a stop for a burrito at the Morrison Inn AFTER the Mt. Falcon climb ( Margarita optional), and then adding a loop in Deer Creek for the turn-around ( the paved ride from Morrison through Willow Springs/Ken-Caryl will give time for that burrito to digest) to complete the Tour de Front Range.
I thought about adding that Deer creek loop......But I was trying to keep the paved riding to a minimum......Any suggestions?

·
Let There Be Dirt
186 Posts
Unfortunately the only non-paved options connecting Mt Falcon and Deer Creek are on trails on private land. You could cut a little pavement off by using Coyote Song or Cathy Johnson trails, but there would still be quite a bit of paved ridinginvolved.

·
Registered
756 Posts
More than bragging rights possibly at stake

A MTB time trial on trails within JeffCo Open Space...:confused: Does anyone else see a downside to this type of activity with regards to mountain biker status within JCOS, or am I just too cautious.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.