Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 41 Posts

·
Registered
6,787 Posts
The real story probably was that he got startled and dove out of the way while the mountain biker came to a stop a few feet before reaching him.

I had this happen in Auburn. I came down the trail and all of a sudden I hear loud screams up ahead. A group of hikers had heard me coming and PANICKED. They dove off the trail running in every direction. As I came to where I could see them, it was pure chaos. They had a dog with them - it was so scared it froze. The father of the group tried to grab him and carry him to safety, but couldn't get him fast enough and abandoned him in the middle of the trail. The dog tried to run away, but it was so frightened, it literally fell over.

I stopped without panicking about 10 feet before I got to where the hikers had all been and asked if they were OK. They were friendly about it, but holy overreaction.

·
Kiss my Grits!
115 Posts
entitlement???

Please don't think I have an attitude of "no accountability" when I ask, if there have been recorded instances of mountain bikers taking out hikers?

Has one of us ever crashed into a hiker? I wonder if we are dealing with situation where a very small percentage of the hiker community is using a very small percentage of the mountain bike community as an example.

I personally love seeing people out on the trails, hikers, bikers, joggers, horses and all.

No taxation without representation!

·
Registered
536 Posts
Anecdotal evidence carries a lot of weight

I'm always surprised how much the "this one time a mountain bike almost ran into me" variety stories impact trail access. We should write letters to the editor about almost being kicked by a horse, or almost having the trail booby-trapped by vengeful Marin hikers.

·
Registered
861 Posts
Forgive me!!

I'm sure to get bashed for this one, but I stopped caring about the concrete mindset of others a long time ago. The majority of hikers are Liberals, Dems, and greenies. They are hiking! so in there mind they are saving the planet. It's just there culture. Many are weekend family groups that don't get out much and are more open to other activities going on and are excited to see other activities. But die hard hikers believe that the earth belongs to those that walk. There is no way you can talk them out of this mindset. Just stop, or go very slow, be kind, say hello, and don't give them any ammo.

·
ballbuster
12,718 Posts
well, that is much...

jimbowho said:
I'm sure to get bashed for this one, but I stopped caring about the concrete mindset of others a long time ago. The majority of hikers are Liberals, Dems, and greenies. They are hiking! so in there mind they are saving the planet. It's just there culture. Many are weekend family groups that don't get out much and are more open to other activities going on and are excited to see other activities. But die hard hikers believe that the earth belongs to those that walk. There is no way you can talk them out of this mindset. Just stop, or go very slow, be kind, say hello, and don't give them any ammo.
... more time efficient than actually thinking.

I'm a liberal, dem, greenie, ACLU card carrier, LBGT rights supporter and I'm pro-mountain bike. I'm also a pro gun, meat eater, Lutheran, so you can do the math on that one.

Point is, it does no good to pigeon-hole people. You don't know, and really it does no good.

See it from their point of view. They are hiking along on a nice quiet hike, and a bunch of a-hole cyclists buzz by them. Maybe 5 other groups of well mannered cyclists slow down, call out, pass safely, but which ones do you think ruined the experience for them? I go hiking from time to time, and fairly often, I get buzzed. I can see why they get bent.

Heh... in Marin, I know more conservatives than liberals these days, as many are hikers.

·
Registered
6,543 Posts
My tax dollars are not spent so I can be endangered by a bunch of idiots on public lands.
Funny. I got hit by a car earlier this year, my wife got doored when she was on her motorcycle (that caused a LOT of damage) and I get buzzed by bicycle-hating cagers every time I road ride.

I probably paid a sh*t load more taxes than this douche.

People always use this "I'm a taxpayer" argument - if MTB'ers are buying $2000+ recreational "toys", I'm guessing they are mostly employed and paying high taxes, as well.

Living in Almaden, I'm totally over this "not in my backyard" hoity-toity mentality. People are always hooting and hollering over "I could've been hit!" - Well, did you get hit? NO! So move the f*ck on, weekend warrior! There are taxpaying, trail maintaining, MTB'ers trying to get through!

So, as a person who actually HAS been hit by a car (twice - 1] t-boned when the guy made a last minute decision to pull into a parking lot and 2] rear ended by a teenage girl talking on her cell phone), these weekend warriors need to shut their mouths.

·
Registered
760 Posts
My 2 cents

I too don't give a heck what other trail users think. I gave up a long time ago. But, that doesn't mean I act like an a$$ - I don't. I NEVER do anything that (rightfully) pisses off other trail users. I am nice, friendly, polite, and safe at all times. We all have that obligation to each other. I drive a car the same way. The problem is that there is a constant supply of incompetents/elitists/entitlement folks to screw it up. In my experience, it is just as likely to be a cyclist as any other user.

An example: My son and I were riding a well used (and legal, just to be clear) trail at WT. Two equestrians came along. The second was an adult male who was clearly freaked out, and so was his horse. He asked and then demanded that my son and I walk 20 feet, with our bikes, into the bush, and then crouch down so as to be 'small' so he could get his not ready for prime time horse to pass. We did as we were instructed, because that was the right thing to do. I would do the same again. But, he was in the wrong for bringing such a horse to a mixed use trail. I am willing to bet he didn't see it that way.

Another example: I was showing a (non local) young and very fast guy around some local trails. He took off down a very technical descent and was really flying. I could barely keep up. He blew by two fellas walking up the trail without slowing down. This trail is a single track, with brush on both sides. They had to really scoot to get out of the way. I stopped and chatted up the guys and they were cool with it. The kid was not wrong to rip the downhill but he should have at least slowed down. Better, he could have slowed way down, and said 'hello, nice day for a hike, enjoy'.

My approach pays dividends beyond the obvious. I can't tell you how many horsey rides my boy gets when we are out together. We behave like gentlemen, and others return the consideration. For the most part, our experiences are what they are because we make them that way. Personal responsibility is a simple idea that seems lost on many.

If MTBers don't wise up we will likely face the same problems that motos are having.

My 2 cents.

·
Registered
861 Posts
pimpbot said:
... more time efficient than actually thinking.

I'm a liberal, dem, greenie, ACLU card carrier, LBGT rights supporter and I'm pro-mountain bike. I'm also a pro gun, meat eater, Lutheran, so you can do the math on that one.

Point is, it does no good to pigeon-hole people. You don't know, and really it does no good.

See it from their point of view. They are hiking along on a nice quiet hike, and a bunch of a-hole cyclists buzz by them. Maybe 5 other groups of well mannered cyclists slow down, call out, pass safely, but which ones do you think ruined the experience for them? I go hiking from time to time, and fairly often, I get buzzed. I can see why they get bent.

Heh... in Marin, I know more conservatives than liberals these days, as many are hikers.
Actually! I do know. I raced, and still do race off road motorcycles. I tell you this because I have been fighting these people for years! Town hall meetings, senator hearings o plenty.The A-holes you speak of, have been great caring people! The hundreds I have met anyway. The Enviro's are discusting POS one sided brick heads. I feel sorry for the phew good ones with open minds.

I can't hike! Knee's. But if I did, and anyone doing anything out in the wild vastness was doing there thing I would give a thumbs up.

About a month or so ago I was way up in angeles crest. Must have been hunting season opener! I was on my YZ450F. After my third sighting of hunters, I went back to the truck. I tell you greenies this because it's so simple to not expect the whole world to do what you do.

Again, I feel bad for the very phew quality open minded, non wussy, Hikers.

·
hmmmm
532 Posts
some people just have too much free time to sit around and feel entitled to everything, and everyone doing something they disagree with gets a letter written about it.

I have had a lot of frustrating experiences with hikers/horse people but always am as courteous and polite as I can be. I find that when someone starts yelling at me on the trails reacting with over the top apologies and concern generally disarms anyone looking for an argument.

He asked and then demanded that my son and I walk 20 feet, with our bikes, into the bush, and then crouch down so as to be 'small' so he could get his not ready for prime time horse to pass.
i have been asked on several occasion to "talk to the horse" so that it knows i am not a threat. i do it, feeling very stupid having to coax a 1k+ lb animal to walk past me by talking to it like an infant. the only cool horse people were some I ran into while we were both on a hikers only trail ( i could barely get my bike through the section not sure how they did it with their horses lol)

·
Registered
6,787 Posts
Dalis12 said:
i have been asked on several occasion to "talk to the horse" so that it knows i am not a threat. i do it, feeling very stupid having to coax a 1k+ lb animal to walk past me by talking to it like an infant. the only cool horse people were some I ran into while we were both on a hikers only trail ( i could barely get my bike through the section not sure how they did it with their horses lol)
I usually say "Hey, horsey, how YOU doin" as it's walking by. Or if the owner is a hot lady, I talk to her.

·
My gloves stink
1,508 Posts
You don't have to actually hit one to do the damage

Chim Chim said:
Please don't think I have an attitude of "no accountability" when I ask, if there have been recorded instances of mountain bikers taking out hikers?

Has one of us ever crashed into a hiker?
No, I've never hit one, but unfortunately, you don't have to. You don't even have to come close. You just have to create the impression in the hiker's mind that you could've hit him/her. Like other posters, I have had people panic and freak as I rang my bell and said "good morning" from 30 feet away at 5 mph. But it didn't matter, because perception is reality in these cases. They only need a story to tell, and like all stories, it gets more dramatic with each re-telling. In such cases, there's nothing we can do, because panic trumps reason, and it leaves a big impression.

·
Registered
1,633 Posts
nachomc said:
The real story probably was that he got startled and dove out of the way while the mountain biker came to a stop a few feet before reaching him.

I had this happen in Auburn. I came down the trail and all of a sudden I hear loud screams up ahead. A group of hikers had heard me coming and PANICKED. They dove off the trail running in every direction. As I came to where I could see them, it was pure chaos. They had a dog with them - it was so scared it froze. The father of the group tried to grab him and carry him to safety, but couldn't get him fast enough and abandoned him in the middle of the trail. The dog tried to run away, but it was so frightened, it literally fell over.

I stopped without panicking about 10 feet before I got to where the hikers had all been and asked if they were OK. They were friendly about it, but holy overreaction.
I've seen this happen with bikes, and walking my dogs. Some people are just pathetically skittish.

·
Registered
606 Posts
Tim F. said:
I've seen this happen with bikes, and walking my dogs. Some people are just pathetically skittish.
Wow, that's just sad. If people are that skittish, then what the hell are they doing outside? Imagine what would happen if they saw a real threat like a mountain lion....they'd probably soil themselves. :lol:

1 - 20 of 41 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.